• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Day at Home with Music and Broccoli

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Gorgeous little budgies :swoon:

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
@Gribouille @fashionfobie
My budgies are very good at sorting veggies from the seeds hidden UNDER the chop... :facepalm:
That is what happens here too. Nice clean, seed free bits of veggie! Grrr. And speaking of appearances, Frost is moulting all over the place! So I guess those sweet little grey stripes on his head will go soon. They are already sort of grey patches. Packer is odd (to me). The usual stripes on back of head that we see in typical budgies are sort of muddy. He really has no stripes. They just became sort of greyish patches. I guess that is why I was worried about his head feathers after the trauma of losing Breeze. Just happened to coincide and obvious now that it is just how it is. You can see in the pic that looks like Frost is wearing a wig. They are happy this morning, hanging out with me in the kitchen again. Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans. Happy day, all!

Last edited:

Dorcas George

@Mybluebird I kind of made tiny pieces, kind of seed like. And sprinkled millet on top. And today there was no guessing. They went nuts and I saw Frost sitting with a piece of green hanging from her beak. And again, heads down and tails up, side by side on the coconut. Packer is messy and I saw some broccoli bits flying. It was funny! So maybe try mixing tiny broccoli bits with the seed.

Dorcas George

Maybe, sometime I can have just one easy thing!
That is how I feel with Packer. NOTHING has been easy. Which is why I call him Packer the Pill. It’s a veggie breakthrough but it took seven months. I feel you pain. Ha! If the day comes when he flies to my head, hand or shoulder, I’ll be dancing and whooping with glee.

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - Broccoli broke the barrier - just wowwww!
I think I might have seen mine nibble broccoli, but they didn't seem to take to it.
Their favorite so far is boiled eggs, but I'm concerned about giving them too much eggs, so I try to limit that to once a month at most.

I don't know what is up with Fergus these days, but he seems grumpy, and I actually saw him lunge at Fi today like she lunges at him! Maybe he's finally standing up for himself? Oh I don't think that will last long. She's usually the one that does all the lunging!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
:super:Just goes to show what perserverence can do!!! Now when they are readily taking to the broccoli start introducing something else along with it. Anything else in small portions beside or even intertwined with the broccoli..you may find that the veg barrier has been broken and they will try other things. They will then develop a preference. Just like us they will always have there likes and dislikes. Sam tried pumpkin today...not her favorite but worth another shot.

Dorcas George

:super:Just goes to show what perserverence can do!!! Now when they are readily taking to the broccoli start introducing something else along with it. Anything else in small portions beside or even intertwined with the broccoli..you may find that the veg barrier has been broken and they will try other things. They will then develop a preference. Just like us they will always have there likes and dislikes. Sam tried pumpkin today...not her favorite but worth another shot.
I might try mixing carrot again. Or peppers. I have both in the fridge and since we are expecting icy rain I’m not going anywhere tomorrow. I have a sweet potato so maybe I’ll bake that and give it a try. Yeah, I’m hoping that having tried broccoli with success might lead to more taste tests from Packer and Frost.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I might try mixing carrot again. Or peppers. I have both in the fridge and since we are expecting icy rain I’m not going anywhere tomorrow. I have a sweet potato so maybe I’ll bake that and give it a try. Yeah, I’m hoping that having tried broccoli with success might lead to more taste tests from Packer and Frost.
Don't rush but sweet potatoe cooked is a good one to try. Or even spinach in very small portions, they seem to love it but is does block calcium so small doses only. Maybe sweet potatoe and carrot cooked mashed together? In the magic coconut?

Dorcas George

Maybe sweet potatoe and carrot cooked mashed together? In the magic coconut?
I haven’t tried anything cooked yet, oh, just egg, but I do have that sweet potato to try “in the magic coconut” :laughing2: Made me laugh. I wish I could have gotten a video of those little budgie tail feathers up in the air, heads in the coconut and then Frost emerging with broccoli hanging off his beak. It was SO funny! Since patience worked for veggies, I hope it will work for all the other budgie breakthroughs I’m hoping for.