• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

7 week old sun conure flying

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Hi everyone :) My Sun Conure is 7 weeks old going on 8 weeks this Friday. Last night he was playing all over my hands when I was trying to get things done so I set him down on my dresser and he flew to me out of nowhere. That was the very first time he has ever flown. I put him back on the dresser (it’s not high at all, he was safe) and he kept flying back to me over and over again. Now today he is doing it again and I want to train him! For the past 3 weeks I’ve been trying to teach him words like “no”, “good boy”, etc but I’m not sure if he is understanding. Sometimes he playfully and gently nibbles on me with his beak and as soon as it’s slightly too hard, I calmly say “gentle” and pull away. He seems to understand that I want him to be more gentle and he listens. But other than that, he seems to be defiant when I give him other commands. Is he just too little right now? I’ve watched YouTube videos on training but most videos are for untame birds who are afraid of people. I’ve been raising my bird so he is very tame. Can someone please give me some training tips and advice? (Also, I just bought a clicker.)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
Oh, hey! I am not experienced in conures and i miself am no expert in training, however, i raised my tiel from when he was 13days, so i started to teach him recall pretty early on and now (he's 3months) he does know some basic tricks, he is a really smart guy and i dont think i'm bad in what i'm doing, seems to be working well so far, maybe we can talk about this and exchange experiences if you want :)

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Oh, hey! I am not experienced in conures and i miself am no expert in training, however, i raised my tiel from when he was 13days, so i started to teach him recall pretty early on and now (he's 3months) he does know some basic tricks, he is a really smart guy and i dont think i'm bad in what i'm doing, seems to be working well so far, maybe we can talk about this and exchange experiences if you want :)
Yes! I would love that! :)