• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

4th of July with birds

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Hi! I only had my cockatiel for a couple months, he’s just a baby and haven’t experienced fireworks or bright lights and sounds. Are birds scared of fireworks, should i be worried for 4th of July?? Any tips or information would be so helpful!!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Hi! I only had my cockatiel for a couple months, he’s just a baby and haven’t experienced fireworks or bright lights and sounds. Are birds scared of fireworks, should i be worried for 4th of July?? Any tips or information would be so helpful!!
Overall, it's best to keep our birds indoors with the windows closed if there are fireworks nearby.

If you find your little guy is particular sensitive to a nearby display, it's best if he's in his cage (perhaps even covered), to avoid him flying into something at full speed within a larger room if he's startled (especially since he's young).

Here's some content on the general topic of desensitization...

I like the part that recommends, "Loud noises, such as thunder or rain, could be replayed at quieter volumes", so you could find a YouTube video with fireworks, and play it back at low volume, and then increase the volume while watching their reaction, "... then we retreat the intensity before the bird’s threshold is reached. We take gradual steps, making the intensity of the stimulus stronger until the normal expression of the stimulus reached. At no point does the animal reach or breach the threshold of its stress response".

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
With my lil old guy I keep the A/C on the blinds closed. I have a couple of white noise (sound soothers) running near his cage. I also keep the windows closed for at least day until fumes from fireworks dissipates.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
My dogs do horrible . My parrots don't seem to react.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't use cage covers last night (Canada Day here), but closed the curtains & left their nightlights on, just in case anyone was spooked & unroosted.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had a couple thunderstorms last month that cracked so loudly the house shook and pictures fell over, and as far as I know my parrot stayed on his sleeping perch throughout (I didn't hear any noise from his cage).

We've had fireworks every night for a while so by the time the bigger ones were going last night he's well familiar with it, grrr. I did leave a low light on though and will again tonight.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Jade is always kinda concerned at first, but as long as I don't overreact, she's fine. If she seems especially worried or starts her alarm call, I'll tell her in a calm, comforting voice "It's okay" or "You're alright", things of that nature.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had any of my birds react to fireworks negatively. The neighbors were lighting them off today and Ripley was just watching out his window :lol:

My dog was not so cavalier :p