• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 budgies against 1

Mysteryzia

Moving in
I am a new bird owner. In December I got a blue male budgie named Leo and a yellow female named KC. When we got home I realized that Leo was missing a toe on one of his claws and they looked old and dry. His feathers are never smooth, he’s often puffed up and disheveled looking, but I love him! His eyes weren’t fully black so I thought he might be older. When I talked to the pet shop about this they said that sometimes people drop off old birds and they resell them. KC was only two months old but I have no idea Leo’s age. They got along fine although KC was a bit a of a bully sometimes. They preened and fed each other. Leo suffered an injury to his right claw (Now his back toe is bent up in one of the ones from the back is in the front) and was falling off the perch and KC began to bully him more but nothing serious.

After a month I got 2 new 2 month old budgies a green female named Yuki and a gray male named Goku. The cages were separate but since they were sharing the same space I wasn’t able to properly quarantine them since they share the same airflow.

After the new birds came KC began to attack Leo in their own cage. Eventually I separated the cage after coming home to a bloody cage. Leo’s claw was bleeding profusely and KC was licking the blood. We separated half of the cage but KC still found a way to get through harass Leo, knocking him off the perch and squishing him to the sides. I bought a third smaller cage to keep KC in so that she wouldn’t harm Leo anymore. After 2 weeks of separation she has been a lot nicer to him when I put her back with him in the bigger cage.

Yuki was really aggressive with Goku but they seem to be getting along better after some time. After the quarantine I tried to mix some of the birds to see how they would respond to Leo. KC and Yuki got along okay except the initial scuffle when I first put them in the same cage. Goku attacked Leo when they were in the cage alone together. I let Leo sleep alone that night and the other 3 slept together no issues.

Today I put all four birds inside the cage to see how they would treat Leo and the 2 newer birds kept attacking up on him individually. Toward the end of my observation KC is now attacking Leo again. I’ve been watching them for 2 hours, both inside and outside the house. The cage is pretty huge and they are not fighting over food, toys, or perches. They follow Leo all of the cage and try to bite hit face and pull feathers on his body. Leo keeps running away. I’m going to put Leo in his own cage, separate the KC and new birds again.

Why are all 3 attacking Leo? They are going out of their way to cause him harm. Is it because he is older, smaller, has a claw disability, or because he won’t fight back? 5AB3AD23-B0EB-415E-9E0C-69524251D2CF.jpeg

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome! The birds should all see an avian vet. It sounds like the one is sick. Maybe the others will catch it. So bring them to an avian vet. After that get them two nice big flight cages. And get them some amazing toys, perches, food/water bowls, and food from our high quality vendors.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
If you saw blood, they should have all been separated immediately and seen by the vet. How big is the large cage they are all in? 4 budgies need a pretty huge cage to be comfortable and not in each other's way. The old one has a really good chance of being sick, and they all need to be seen by an avian specialized vet. Quarantine does nothing if you aren't sure if they're sick. Before introduction, they need to be seen by the vet.

I recommend separating them and letting them all have their own proper cage with natural perches and good toys, It looks like they were all sitting on a dowel in your picture. The dowels can cause foot and leg issues.

You have some very beautiful budgies! Welcome to the Avenue!
(So sorry if this post sounded mean, I didn't mean to offend anyone!)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! Your birds are beautiful.

I'm not sure why this is happening. Are you sure of the birds' genders? Maybe that has something to do with it. There's another very similar thread right now & it came down to that.

@Ripshod @Lori D Pert @Lady Jane @PoukieBear

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Problem 1. Multiple females in same cage.
2. Little blue one is so much smaller than the other three.
3. All of them need to be checked by avian vet. You have no idea why they were returned to the store. No quarantine in the store. Bad husbandry on the stores part.
3. I would not buy any birds there again.

Are the eating without fighting? I have seen a small budgie picked on by bigger, older budgies until death.

Mysteryzia

Moving in
If you saw blood, they should have all been separated immediately and seen by the vet. How big is the large cage they are all in? 4 budgies need a pretty huge cage to be comfortable and not in each other's way. The old one has a really good chance of being sick, and they all need to be seen by an avian specialized vet. Quarantine does nothing if you aren't sure if they're sick. Before introduction, they need to be seen by the vet.

I recommend separating them and letting them all have their own proper cage with natural perches and good toys, It looks like they were all sitting on a dowel in your picture. The dowels can cause foot and leg issues.

You have some very beautiful budgies! Welcome to the Avenue!
(So sorry if this post sounded mean, I didn't mean to offend anyone!)
I separated KC and Leo when there was blood and got her a new cage shortly after.

The big cage i put them all in is 4’x2x2’, that’s why it was strange they were all sitting in there on the same perch. There is a swing and 4 other perches. The cage Leo was in by himself before I put them together is 3’x1.5x2’. KC cage is much smaller. So I would need 2 more cages of a good size?

Yuki started attacking everyone today and so did KC, they are extremely aggressive. They screech a lot too.

I did the month quarantine for the new birds based on recommended 30 days I read online. It said if they shared the same air flow to just have separate cages since there couldn’t be a true quarantine in the same house.
The woman at the pet shop said they’re all from the same place and I didn’t have to quarantine at all but I didn’t take her word for it.

No worries, your post didn’t sound mean, just scary. It got my anxiety going because I don’t know what I’m doing and feel like a bad bird owner.

Mysteryzia

Moving in
Problem 1. Multiple females in same cage.
2. Little blue one is so much smaller than the other three.
3. All of them need to be checked by avian vet. You have no idea why they were returned to the store. No quarantine in the store. Bad husbandry on the stores part.
3. I would not buy any birds there again.

Are the eating without fighting? I have seen a small budgie picked on by bigger, older budgies until death.
Leo was only ever in the cage with KC. They preened and fed with each other. But she was picking on him.

I was told to buy the birds in pairs and I didn’t want to make them uneven. Can 2 boys and 2 girls never be together?

Today was just a trial to see how they behaved together. It was Leo’s first time being in the same cage as Yuki. I already separated everyone cuz they were all mean to him.

That’s true I didn’t notice Leo was the smallest. He was the one who was dropped off at the store.

They never fight when they eat.

Leo is the only one who has taken to training. He listens to “step up” and gets to fly around the house.

I’ll ask my mom about the vet so they can be seen ASAP.

Mysteryzia

Moving in
Welcome! Your birds are beautiful.

I'm not sure why this is happening. Are you sure of the birds' genders? Maybe that has something to do with it. There's another very similar thread right now & it came down to that.

@Ripshod @Lori D Pert @Lady Jane @PoukieBear
Thank you! I am not positive of the genders. The woman at the store picked them, each time I went I wanted 1 male and 1 female. How else can I tell?

Mysteryzia

Moving in
Welcome! The birds should all see an avian vet. It sounds like the one is sick. Maybe the others will catch it. So bring them to an avian vet. After that get them two nice big flight cages. And get them some amazing toys, perches, food/water bowls, and food from our high quality vendors.
Thank you for your input. I will get on that right away!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just post pictures in natural light of the budgies' faces, making sure the pics show their nostrils. All of the people I tagged can easily identify budgie genders. I can do the easy ones. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I see first two male. Last two female.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I am a new bird owner. In December I got a blue male budgie named Leo and a yellow female named KC. When we got home I realized that Leo was missing a toe on one of his claws and they looked old and dry. His feathers are never smooth, he’s often puffed up and disheveled looking, but I love him! His eyes weren’t fully black so I thought he might be older. When I talked to the pet shop about this they said that sometimes people drop off old birds and they resell them. KC was only two months old but I have no idea Leo’s age. They got along fine although KC was a bit a of a bully sometimes. They preened and fed each other. Leo suffered an injury to his right claw (Now his back toe is bent up in one of the ones from the back is in the front) and was falling off the perch and KC began to bully him more but nothing serious.

After a month I got 2 new 2 month old budgies a green female named Yuki and a gray male named Goku. The cages were separate but since they were sharing the same space I wasn’t able to properly quarantine them since they share the same airflow.

After the new birds came KC began to attack Leo in their own cage. Eventually I separated the cage after coming home to a bloody cage. Leo’s claw was bleeding profusely and KC was licking the blood. We separated half of the cage but KC still found a way to get through harass Leo, knocking him off the perch and squishing him to the sides. I bought a third smaller cage to keep KC in so that she wouldn’t harm Leo anymore. After 2 weeks of separation she has been a lot nicer to him when I put her back with him in the bigger cage.

Yuki was really aggressive with Goku but they seem to be getting along better after some time. After the quarantine I tried to mix some of the birds to see how they would respond to Leo. KC and Yuki got along okay except the initial scuffle when I first put them in the same cage. Goku attacked Leo when they were in the cage alone together. I let Leo sleep alone that night and the other 3 slept together no issues.

Today I put all four birds inside the cage to see how they would treat Leo and the 2 newer birds kept attacking up on him individually. Toward the end of my observation KC is now attacking Leo again. I’ve been watching them for 2 hours, both inside and outside the house. The cage is pretty huge and they are not fighting over food, toys, or perches. They follow Leo all of the cage and try to bite hit face and pull feathers on his body. Leo keeps running away. I’m going to put Leo in his own cage, separate the KC and new birds again.

Why are all 3 attacking Leo? They are going out of their way to cause him harm. Is it because he is older, smaller, has a claw disability, or because he won’t fight back? View attachment 374648
can you show me a picture of leo and goku's cere? i have confirmed that yuki and KC are both females so if they are all females that's probably your problem. btw any type of bird budgie,lovebird,canary,conure, etc should NEVER be in the same cage, you have to have 4 flight cages for each budgie and if leo seems like he's doing better DON'T put him next to the other birds because they WILL fight, if the other 3 birds don't have a problem with each other then you could let them play with each other but ALWAYS be there when your birds are paying because something badly can happen. and i'm pretty sure KC and the other birds started attacking leo because they wants him out the cage because birds can be REALLY territorial. I hope leo is doing good and all your budgies are healthy, sorry for the harsh reply I understand that your a new bird lover, remember EVERYBODY MAKES MISTAKES. and if you cant get 4 flight cages (I understand that can be VERY expensive) you should have 1 food bowl and water for each budgie that might ease the tension.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
All I can say with absolute certainty right now is that Leo is male. He may be considerably older than you realize. When budgies suddenly stop getting along it is either hormones or an illness in one budgie. Please take Leo to the vet to have his health checked. Being ganged up on by 3 other budgies may be because the others are female (i think they are) or that poor Leo isn't well or both. Since the recent 2 are young I'm not blaming hormones. Let's address illness first. Please have Leo checked out. In the interim keep him safe. House him by himself.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I know you are trying to do your best. We all make mistakes, don't be hard on yourself! Right now I think you should separate Leo for sure, and try to seperate the others if you can. It looks like Leo is going to need extra attention, he looks old and sick.

Just keep doing your research, taking advice, and doing the best you can. Good luck! :hug8:

Bratmommie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shelley

Why are all 3 attacking Leo? They are going out of their way to cause him harm. Is it because he is older, smaller, has a claw disability, or because he won’t fight back? View attachment 374648

Hello! I have 9 of them and they can absolutely be very vicious!! They are trying to tell you there is something wrong with your poor old man. He could be sick, older than you think he is, a lot of possibilities. The younger ones can, and most likely will, kill him. He needs to be in a cage by himself BUT can still be in the same room. Even have the cages next to each other but far enough away that the others can't reach him.

I'm so sorry your feathered friend is going through all of this. Nature can be a nasty beast ☹

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I got this cage or a very similar one from chewy for just under 100 - I think its 130 now

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So what is going on? Have you made any changes and taken budgies to a vet? Is your mom helping out?