• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 New Budgies

Notjomomma

Moving in
Real Name
Joeleen
Hi everyone! Im so glad I found this group. I recently got my first budgie about a month ago... alone.. yes I know lol when I saw how much he needed a companion I got him a friend. So I have Yoshi who is still young but older than the baby. Stitch is the newest addition and Yoshi loved him or her right away. Ive had Stitch too days the cere stripes are all the way down so I know he or she is young. I have not seen the baby eat, Yoshi keeps trying to get Stitch to eat the fresh veggie/sprouted salad and the seed but will not. Yoshi regurgitates his food to the baby. Does this mean the baby is not weaned properly? Also do babies sleep more? The baby seems tired much more than rambunctious Yoshi! Lol I have been a Avian mom before but only to a Lovebird who bonded with me completely! Parakeet/Budgies are new to me.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m guessing from your description that there was no quarantine time before introducing the birds which is something you always should do (for future reference) so that if one is unwell you don’t make the others unwell too.
Do you have two or three budgies? I’m having some trouble working that bit out lol.
Im not sure from your description of the baby if his behaviour is normal or not, it is however quite often common for birds to feed each other. @Lady Jane @Ripshod

Edit: Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Notjomomma

Moving in
Real Name
Joeleen
No there wasn't quarantine time :( I didnt even think of that. The baby seems healthy so Im hoping its ok. I have 2 total. There doing great, the baby just doesn't want to eat food thats not regurgitated. Which is funny to watch because Yoshi will only do it for a second and try and encourage the baby to go to the bowl... so far its a no go. It has only been 2 days.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bet your new one is eating and you just don’t see it happening. Was this baby from a breeder or pet store? Can you please post nice photos of them both and the cage.

Baby will learn by watching the older one eat and drink. That is one of the benefits of having 2. I would worry more about the lack of quarantine than the eating. You can hang some greens from the top of the cage with a clip. Not all food comes in a bowl. In the chain pet stores the birds often eat as a flock in competition with each other.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Stitch is the blue one, right? Can see from the photo he's alert to you and the camera.
I bet your new one is eating and you just don’t see it happening
If you're hanging around watching then it's likely he would rather watch out for you than put his head down to eat - probably still sees you as a predator. So back off from the cage, let them both relax. It may be good to cover the back half of the cage, it'll make them both feel more secure having just the front of the cage to watch.
Post a pic of the cage pls, let us see their situation.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
An afterthought:
Try playing some YouTube vids of budgies for him. The sound of an active flock will make him feel safer

Notjomomma

Moving in
Real Name
Joeleen
Thank you so much for the replies. Im so nervous now because I didnt quarantine im keeping a watchful eye. Lol here are some pictures of the cage and my lil babies. I did notice last night that the baby went to the dish but didnt try anything. Do you think the regurgitation to the baby will not last long? I dont want Yoshi getting malnourished either. Im such a worry wort:wacky: let me know if you guys see anything I should change:heart::heart:

Attachments

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcome2:Hi @Notjomomma and WELCOME! :welcome:

Your babies are precious, and I absolutely love your screen name!
I believe Yoshi is trying to bond with the new baby by feeding him, and as they get older together, you may see this decline. Fergus did feed Fiona when they first began bonding, and I do still see it occasionally, but much less. Since Fiona was at least 6 months younger than Fergus, I think he just thought feeding her was the 'friendly thing to do'!

Providing Stitch is old enough to be weaned, I think he will do just fine after settling in!
He does look very young, and he sure is cute.

I love what Ripshod said about covering the back of their cage. (Your wall will probably love it too LOL).

Are they getting about 12 hours of sleep a night, do you cover their cage when it's night night time?

Notjomomma

Moving in
Real Name
Joeleen
:welcome2:Hi @Notjomomma and WELCOME! :welcome:

Your babies are precious, and I absolutely love your screen name!
I believe Yoshi is trying to bond with the new baby by feeding him, and as they get older together, you may see this decline. Fergus did feed Fiona when they first began bonding, and I do still see it occasionally, but much less. Since Fiona was at least 6 months younger than Fergus, I think he just thought feeding her was the 'friendly thing to do'!

Providing Stitch is old enough to be weaned, I think he will do just fine after settling in!
He does look very young, and he sure is cute.

I love what Ripshod said about covering the back of their cage. (Your wall will probably love it too LOL).

Are they getting about 12 hours of sleep a night, do you cover their cage when it's night night time?
Thank you! I will try the covering thing. Thank you about my screen name lol you made me feel more at ease for sure! I so appreciate it. There such muffins and I love them so much! There my babies in this house... other than my human ones :laugh:Yes I make sure to tuck them in and cover them around 8:30 every night about 11/12 hours every night i uncover before work at 8:30am

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Only thing I see is a cage that is too small for 2 budgies. If you can afford it a flight cage will be much better for your 2 budgies. They will be needing more space. Please try to relax about having the two birds. They will be ok receiving your care.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1: