• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

2 Green Cheeks

BirdBran01

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so I am unsure if I am posting in the correct place. I am however in need of some help making a decision in the next week and any advice would be welcome.

I have absolutely fallen in love with a pair of green cheek conures at my local petco and I would like to give them both a good home. Their cages are side by side and they have clearly already bonded.

IMG_3951.jpg

Even though I have never been been a bird owner before and this would be a big commitment, they are absolutely adorable and deserve to be together.

That being said, if I don't take the leap to buy them both, they will almost certainly be separated anyway. So should I feel guilty about it if I do end up buying just one? I know the recommendation is to never separate a bonded pair, but would that hold true in this case? They're both so adorable and I would love to give at least one of them a good home.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for me? Has anyone had any experiences with green cheeks that might be good for me to hear about? I won't have the money on hand to make the purchase until Friday so I have until then to make up my mind.

Cheers!
Brandon

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

How do you know they’re definitely bonded as opposed to just enjoying each other’s company because there’s nothing else for them to do?

It is going to be hard for anyone to tell you what your feelings should be if they’re separated, if you’re worried about that then if you’re lucky one may be sold before you get back and have the chance to buy them both.
If you can afford them both and would like them both (you say you’ve fallen in love with them both?) then it could possibly make your life easier having the two- there are days when I’ve got a lot to do or am not feeling the best but I must still give my single bird the exact same amount of company, mental stimulation and attention that I would on the days I’m feeling great. If he had a friend that pressure would be less because he would have a bird buddy to fill most of those needs.

@webchirp @Mockinbirdiva might be good people to get opinions from about your question. You’ll get lots of great stories and advice from some of our GC members :)

Good luck with your decision- it’s not going to be an easy one till you get your conscience straight about how you’ll feel if they are separated. I think finding out if they are truely bonded may help you with this.
I will be looking forward to finding out what you decide and how your first days of being owned by a gorgeous bird feel for you. ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I doubt they are a bonded pair but they do look like they are good friends. If I could, I'd purchase both because I like them to have friends. Birds are pretty resilient about loosing partners. However, I agree that they do deserve to keep their friendship intact if possible. You might want to read up on bonded pairs though...they are less dependent on you for a mate.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
It is always nice to have a friend. If you can afford it and have the space/time I would get them both. That being said here are a few things to think about.

1: Can you deal with the noise and mess (GCC are loud at times and they are messy)
2: Can you afford the vet bills. ( My last vet bill was almost 300$ for yearly physical, blood work and nail trim)
3: If you buy only one how much time can you spend with him/her ( Birds are social, they need companionship)
4: Do you have the space for cages and items the birds may need

These are just a few things to think about.

Read through this as well. Since you are new to birds it may help answer or shed light on things you may not know.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Green Cheeked Conures