• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Woo Hoo! The Aviator Harness and Leash arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
You'd be quite surprised at how scrawny a birds neck is underneath all the feathers :) If her beak/head will go through the 'noose' then it's large enough. Snug is way more secure than loose.

Like Mercedez said, the buckle can go either side, and will actually slide in any case - you can then either have the leash above or below her body. Have you watched the DVD?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
One question...can you buy a size up and just tighten it more around their belly? It should be big enough to go over their heads more easy
No, you shouldn't do this. I bought a size up for Lola thinking this and the neck portion is actually really big. It's easier to get over the head, but then it's super loose around her neck and shoulders. Not safe.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Good to know. I had been thinking of getting a slightly larger size for Piper since her head seems to have to squeeze in pretty tight to get into it, but it would probably be far too big.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Just wanted to weigh in on the larger size convo...Riley normally uses a small Aviator, but it is a bit snug over the head (the hardest part by far for us!!) so I thought I'd try Dex's medium on him. The head part was much easier, but it made the strap around his body too far down towards his tail...it was right against his legs, and was definitely not safe to use. And he was very uncomfortable with where the body strap was located. I wish the head loop was a tad bit bigger on the small, but we'll have to make it work.

Anyway Saemma, best of luck with the girls. :) It sounds like you're off to a good start with getting them used to it!!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to weigh in on the larger size convo...Riley normally uses a small Aviator, but it is a bit snug over the head (the hardest part by far for us!!) so I thought I'd try Dex's medium on him. The head part was much easier, but it made the strap around his body too far down towards his tail...it was right against his legs, and was definitely not safe to use. And he was very uncomfortable with where the body strap was located. I wish the head loop was a tad bit bigger on the small, but we'll have to make it work.

Anyway Saemma, best of luck with the girls. :) It sounds like you're off to a good start with getting them used to it!!
Thank you for posting this Carolyn and Lotus. About the body strap right now I have noticed that it *brushes* against the top of Sachi's leg.:huh: Is that safe or should I get a smaller size even though the weight specs say I have the right size?:huh: I'm really not sure how comfortable or uncomfortable she is. Btw.. here's Mabel yesterday. Maybe I will contact the folks who made it and see what they recommend for Sachi.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Wow - she got used to that harness very quickly. She looks ADORABLE and so excited and interested in everything!!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mabel makes adorable noises :D
Mabel says thank you.:) I can only *imagine* what Lotus goes through when the head portion goes over Lola's *well endowed beak* and head.:hehe:. You too will soon find out what that's all about.:heart:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've often read the hard part was taking it off..

I also received mine this week! Haven't been feeling too well so haven't started to initiate Pixel to it, but I am getting her more used to having things over her head.
I recommend that you keep in full view as often as possible and even wear it as an ornament if possible.:) This way it won't appear strange and scary. The dvd provides some helpful tips too when it comes to getting them used to having their wings lifted. I had never done that before so that took some getting used to for me too.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Awesome, WTG Mabel !!!

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
wow ..GREAT:laughing12:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

I recommend that you keep in full view as often as possible and even wear it as an ornament if possible.:) This way it won't appear strange and scary. The dvd provides some helpful tips too when it comes to getting them used to having their wings lifted. I had never done that before so that took some getting used to for me too.
The reason why I thought I'd try with Pixel is because I can cover her head with my hand and lift her wings and she just lets me.
I've let the harness out around her and she seems ok with it. I've also draped her with it and she's getting ok with that too.

I have high hopes that she'll take to it.

Shade - hates harnesses. Tried when she was younger and she just wouldn't do it.
Not comfortable enough handling Joey and Zuri all over to try. They've made a lot of progress since getting here by we aren't quite there yet.
Petey - I like my hands the way they are...don't need any swollen fingers but repetitive biting ;)

Piper - I'd be concerned about his size.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The reason why I thought I'd try with Pixel is because I can cover her head with my hand and lift her wings and she just lets me.
I've let the harness out around her and she seems ok with it. I've also draped her with it and she's getting ok with that too.

I have high hopes that she'll take to it.

Shade - hates harnesses. Tried when she was younger and he just wouldn't do it.
Not comfortable enough handling Joey and Zuri all over to try. They've made a lot of progress since getting here but we aren't quite there yet.
Petey - I like my hands the way they are...don't need any swollen fingers but repetitive biting ;)

Piper - I'd be concerned about his size.
Ah! Then Pixel and Baby Cape will be the lucky lucky ones. I have yet to try on Emma. I feel like of nervous bringing her out in a harness. She's such a strong strong flyer.:eek:

GlassOnion

Does Mabel willingly accept the harness now? :eek:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

GlassOnion

I'm jealous, I still need to manhandle my phobic tiel- and he won't even accept millet if the harness is on!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Good to know. I had been thinking of getting a slightly larger size for Piper since her head seems to have to squeeze in pretty tight to get into it, but it would probably be far too big.
The harnesses I have tried have been the flight suit, feather tether, aviator and Kaylor Collar. I use each for a different reason. My Tooz can chew the elastic of the aviator harness leash so I do not use it for them, I found my little birds did best with flight suit or aviator harness. For medium to large birds I use the Kaylor Collar. The head opening is much better than the aviator. I also find it much easier to put on and my birds object the least with the Kaylor collar. If you can hug your bird or place hands under their wings you have it made. I use this one for the tooz and macaws. It also seems to hang better than the aviator. My birds leave it alone which is great for the tooz (goffin loves to pull tread out on sewn shoulder elastic of flight suits)

Bird Harness for your bird or parrot from Fred Bird and Company

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.