• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Woo Hoo! The Aviator Harness and Leash arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Came with video and seems that it was shipped from Ontario.:) I will document on my blog the evolution of my training. Must view video first.

:huh: Now to figure out whether I will use Mabel or Sachi as my unsuspecting victim..:D

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Let me warn you, the video is a bit overwhelming. Feel free to pause it and walk away. When he said, "Please remove all birds from the viewing area" my heart dropped. LOL

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm currently viewing it. I have decided to try it on Mabel first and have placed it in close proximity to her cage. I am a bit confused by what part is the front and which part is the back of the harness/:huh:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
The back will have the longer thingy that goes down the spine. The front has a shorter thingy that goes up the chest.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Bridgette! I am studying the video. I am feeling very optimistic about working with Mabel and don't plan to rush it.:)

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
When it's put on the leash should be in the front
I do it over the head, had enough slack to do left wing then right wing. Not that it makes a difference

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the most challenging part to put it over their head?:huh:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
The most challenging part for Kiwi and me is taking it off....

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The most challenging part for Kiwi and me is taking it off....
Thanks again! I'm also discovering that it will be very important to work with the bird for the rest of its life if I wish to continue using the harness with relatively no problem. You can't just use it for the summer and then not touch it for the winter. It's a for life thing.:D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I've often read the hard part was taking it off..

I also received mine this week! Haven't been feeling too well so haven't started to initiate Pixel to it, but I am getting her more used to having things over her head.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I will start by working on having Mabel allow me to close her eyes. I will do this 3 times a day every single day and then move on to the next step.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Finished watching the video 1rst time in its entirety. i must say that I'm pretty impressed.:)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm excited for you! You should keep a log on here about how the harness training is going! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Kacy. For now I've started wearing the aviator around my neck so Mabel becomes familiar with it quickly.:)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
And how is it? Comfortable? Did you panic putting it over your head? :lol:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So far every parrot seems to be very comfortable with seeing the aviator harness on me. I wearing it around my neck with the harness and leash portion in full view. Emma and Sachi have perched on top of my shoulder without feeling bothered by it and Mabel has cuddled with me and ignored it. Good start.:D

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I totally agree, slow is better. I actually played with ours for a while and had fun with them so that they actually liked it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
THanks Jr. It seems that I'm going to have to make the harness part of my general attire for some bit. I'm not going to push it because I don't want to have to take any steps backward or create any aversion towards it. I figure that if I can teach Mabel who was deathly afraid of towels to learn how to be towelled and to allow her nails to be filed, then I can do this too. Just have to plan everything strategically, have patience and stay disciplined.

Status
Not open for further replies.