• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Woo Hoo! The Aviator Harness and Leash arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess Emma is out of the equation for the harness? :huh:
Yes. This one's too small for Emma and she's my most strong willed and no shame in biting me parrot.:p

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too small for Emma yet OK for Mabel? :huh:
Well:huh: I haven't exactly put the harness on anyone yet but according to the specs.. the small is good for Sachi and Mabel. It would be too small for Emma.

Mabel's very small. I have small hands and can hold Mabel on her back in one hand.:p

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Mabel's very small. I have small hands and can hold Mabel on her back in one hand.:p
If Mabel can fit in a harness that would be comfortable for a Pionus, she is indeed a small Severe. From your description, it seems like she's just a tad larger than a Noble. I'm still trying to envision that, I'm used to seeing Severes in person like this. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If Mabel can fit in a harness that would be comfortable for a Pionus, she is indeed a small Severe. From your description, it seems like she's just a tad larger than a Noble. I'm still trying to envision that, I'm used to seeing Severes in person like this. :)

Mabel is about a head sized taller than Sachi and a bit plumper. Mabel weighs less than 300 grams.:)

Sachi weighs about 219 grams.

Emma weighs a bit less than a lb.:D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek: Wow! I'm just looking at the size info on the box and it recommends medium for parrots like Severe macaws etc. 450 grams - 600 gram range.

Those are some HUGE severes even if they start at 450 grams.:eek: As big as Emma about.:eek:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

TITANIS

:eek: Wow! I'm just looking at the size info on the box and it recommends medium for parrots like Severe macaws etc. 450 grams - 600 gram range.

Those are some HUGE severes even if they start at 450 grams.:eek: As big as Emma about.:eek:
Some even bigger than Emma by a bit. I tell you no joke I saw a Severe beside a CAG (about the size of Emma) in a store once, and the Severe was a bit larger excluding his tail feathers. The other Severes I saw were close to this one in size as well. That's why I was a bit confused by Sachi and Mabel being similarly sized. I knew Mable was small but didn't know she was petite. :p

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I'm so glad it's going well for you. Once you get the hang of it, it's so easy and they really do have a blast outside!!!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ha! It's a good thing that Mabel isn't any bigger than she is. For the first few days I shook my head in dismay at having brought home another large parrot.:(

It took me about 3 days to see how warped my vision was and that it was her tail that made her look big to me.:rofl: *sigh* and of course my fear of macaws.:p

Mabel is really really petite. Not sure if its because of genetics or because her diet wasn't great so early on in her life.:huh:

If she were too big I would have been intimidated about bringing her home.

TITANIS

Mabel is really really petite. Not sure if its because of genetics or because her diet wasn't great so early on in her life.:huh:
I think it's both, Saemma. She's the smaller variety and her nutrition must have been less than optimal early on, unfortunately.

If she were too big I would have been intimidated about bringing her home.
If she was the size of the Severe I saw (~20") I think you would likely have been thinking twice about bringing her home, but that would have been bad for Mabel if you did decide to pass her by due to apparent size. I'm extremely happy you took her home and she is blessed by having you as her mom. :cool10:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Titanis,
I have since evolved and matured since seeing meeting that scarlet macaw.
I am receptive to any parrot based on whether I feel a connection of some sort with them. If I were to ever get another parrot it wouldn't even matter if they were male. In fact I hope they would be because I have an egg phobia.
The only criteria is that I wouldn't buy or bring home a parrot I had not physically met in advance. That wouldn't work for me.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sitting here looking at the portion of the harness that goes over the head and boy it looks very snug.:huh:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'm sitting here looking at the portion of the harness that goes over the head and boy it looks very snug.:huh:
Imagine, the small is what is recommended for Capes too I believe and with the size of their head/beak...that will be an interesting experience ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still confused about what side of the parrot the buckle should be on. Can someone clarify?:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It can be on the left or right, does matter ;)

When I purchased my first aviator, it was a medium. It said it was appropriate for umbrella cockatoos but boy is it wrong!!! It's too snug around the throat and makes taking it off very uncomfortable for the cockatoo because of their crest. The large is perfect for U2s. It also says the large is ok for large macaws, but to beg to differ! Mera is a small scarlet but she needs that extra large, for ease of putting it on/off her because of her big beak.

Good luck on the aviator!!!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Imagine, the small is what is recommended for Capes too I believe and with the size of their head/beak...that will be an interesting experience ;)
It's true, it is NOT very fun getting it on or off but thankfully Lola tolerates it now.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Mercedez. I am really wondering whether the head portion will be ok for Mabel.:eek:

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
One question...can you buy a size up and just tighten it more around their belly? It should be big enough to go over their heads more easy

Status
Not open for further replies.