• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which fish should I choose?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
^best advice ever, btw :)
the internetz is a cornucopia of information at your fingertips. research, and more research. from credible sources of course ;)

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Okay, tap pH is 6.6(figured I'd go with higher since I can't tell the difference), everything else is at 0.
Tank, pH is 7.6...but on 'high ph' its lighter than 7.4...so..yea..Guess that's good. Ammonia I think is 0 but lighter than .25...So that got down. Nitrate is 5.0 and so is Nitrite.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I thought so,, too...I didn't think she was right and was wondering what you guys thought about it as well...So with where I am...do I do 50% every day...10%? and then once everything is where its supposed to be do I do 10% once a week or 25% once a month?

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, tap pH is 6.6(figured I'd go with higher since I can't tell the difference), everything else is at 0.
Tank, pH is 7.6...but on 'high ph' its lighter than 7.4...so..yea..Guess that's good. Ammonia I think is 0 but lighter than .25...So that got down. Nitrate is 5.0 and so is Nitrite.
YOUR NITRITE IS 5????? :eek: Or .5?? :lol:I think you mean the latter, or your fish would be long gone.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
No, Nitrite is the brightest dang purple and it looks like it'd be higher than 5.0ppm, but it is definitely not as low as .50ppm...:\ So what shall I do? Add liquids(prime etc) to the tank, water changes only?

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Well to my eyes it looks bright as all heck...I guess I could retest everything and take a picture.. :p

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well to my eyes it looks bright as all heck...I guess I could retest everything and take a picture.. :p
It sounds like you're about 1/4 way through your cycle. Def, add Prime and do a 15% water cahnge if Nitrite EVER gets abover .50. I would even kick into emergency mode if it was .25.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I guess that explains why the Dalmation Platy and Bubba J went...And this was at least a week ago...And I guess My other two Platys are superfish..Or they are slowy dieing.. :(

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Okay, I will start doing that...Do I do 15% every day? Or what would you do?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, here's what I'd do:
Go remove 15% (roughly) of tank water. Dump it out and fill it with tap. Then add the correct dose of Prime for that container. Wait a minute, add that water to the tank. Then add enough Prime to treat 30 gallons.
Test again in the morning.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Thanks for the help. I'll keep doing 15% water changes after that until its where I want it.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Nitrate is the same...Ammonia is good, PH is the same...Nitrate is what looks like .50 to me! :dance4: I'm so excited...Either this or next weekend we'll get more fish..I'm so glad the water is getting better for my babies!
Also...I feed them frozen food...A lot of which is scattered on the floor...How do I clean that? Do I just keep vacuuming out, or is there a trick to making it less messy?

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Nitrate is the same...Ammonia is good, PH is the same...Nitrate is what looks like .50 to me! :dance4: I'm so excited...Either this or next weekend we'll get more fish..I'm so glad the water is getting better for my babies!
Also...I feed them frozen food...A lot of which is scattered on the floor...How do I clean that? Do I just keep vacuuming out, or is there a trick to making it less messy?
Nitrate is 50?? There's no . anything for Nitrate. Only ammonia and nitrite.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I mispelled...Nitrate looks like its around .50, Nitrate is still 5...Ammonia is looking like 0...pH is where it is..but its not bad so its okay. :p I'm impressed by the change in less than 24 hours!

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Yes! I did it again today just to see if it'll help...I'll check it tomorrow morning. :) I'm so glad things are looking up.