• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which fish should I choose?

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Bubba J is the danio...I named him that because he doesn't seem too bright.. :lol: Probably just stressed...but what he was doing the first night wasn't helping him any. :rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not think you can have a danio school with that bioload.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
k, we'll take him back then. :) Well, I'll ask first...Not sure if they accept live fish back...we'll find out.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Most stores have quarantine tanks separated from the main sumps, which they can pop returned fish in to, to make sure they won't pass anything on to the rest of their stock. Take him back and hopefully he can be with his danio buddies again soon.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
SO...should I flush Bubba J down the toilet? Or return him to the store? Yes, GUppies, Platies and Corys are my stocking plan, the guy just 'gave' us the danio and I don't really know why..I know theyre schooling but honestly was hoping it would acclimate with the others...lol
And yes FidFlock, my 4th Platy is going to be the blue MIckey Mouse. :D
No no way!! That fish does NOT deserve to die because you aren't prepared for him! Take him back to the store. Danios need 20 gallons plus, so they can't live in a 2 gallon!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Why would you even have to ask on a forum of people who love all their animals if you should kill a fish because you did not do your research. :(

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I knew I didn't want him because of what he needed but I didn't stand firm enough when confronting the guy. Husband gets home today so hopefully we'll make the trip today, at the very latest this weekend.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
So, bad news and advice needed. So far we've lost 2 of the fish...We only have 2 platys left...Good news is starting today they started eating from my hand! I have never had any fish do that and I hope that any future fish will follow their example. I was testing their water and while I was getting water in the tubes they came up and gave me some kisses.. :lol:
Now...PH has gone back up...The highest its supposed to be for these fish, well not as high...Between 7.6 and 7.8?, but I would like it down to 7. Nitrite is as high as it can go...Nitrate is slowly creeping up..Its a level up from zero...Ammonia is staying where its been...Which is also a level up from zero.
I'm waiting on my order to arrive, I ordered more Prime and One and Only, as well as Ammonia blocker just in case it is needed.

The lady I talked to at Petco said just to wait it out and don't put anything else into the tank...Do I follow this advice or should I put a tiny bit of Prime and One and Only in once it gets here?

And I am crossing my fingers I don't lose the last two..but they seem to have adjusted really well even though the water isn't where I want it...And the other two did pass rather suddenly.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Ph is fine for the fish you have.
Are you using Safestart?

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I do not have safestart...I have Aquasafe and easybalance...I like neither and want to throw them out.. :lol:

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Its between 6.4-6.6...but its about 1, maybe 2 higher than that now in the tank.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
You're using API test kit, yeah?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
:wideyed: ...
:(

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes that's the one...Is it not good?
Nope, it's the best. I was just confused when you kept saying ''the second one''. :)
What are the rest of your tap water params?? Are you doing any water changes?

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
umm, okay, let me go test the tap for everything, and I'll go test the tank again and let you know everything. No water changes, my husband and the petco lady felt I was lucky the fish didn't die by doing it that often so I stopped doing it..I'm debating between 25% once a month or weekly 10%...Which should I stick with? I'll do the change tomorrow...I've only been not doing it about a week.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
umm, okay, let me go test the tap for everything, and I'll go test the tank again and let you know everything. No water changes, my husband and the petco lady felt I was lucky the fish didn't die by doing it that often so I stopped doing it..I'm debating between 25% once a month or weekly 10%...Which should I stick with? I'll do the change tomorrow...I've only been not doing it about a week.
That's where she's wrong. With a fish-in cycle, you need to do changes when the params are deadly. You should practically never listen to petstore employees.