• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which fish should I choose?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
K...I need to figure out how to divide up frozen food. :lol:

I use a small glass bowl, get some aquarium water in it, and then put the frozen food in that to let it thaw. Then I use a pipette to put just the amount I want into the tank, and I reserve the rest for a future feeding in the fridge. I only have 4 fish, so a cube of frozen bloodworms is too much for my tank. I do not only feed frozen foods; I think there are some really well made dry foods that are easier to regulate the amount you feed. Just my opinion.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. Frozen foods are nice supplements, but I recommend a high quality flake or pellet (flakes with tropicals) as their base, then add veggies and frozen food as a treat.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I have Cobalt Aquatics for my flakes..Is that okay?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have Cobalt Aquatics for my flakes..Is that okay?

My favorites are Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Hikari (frozen). I haven't heard of Cobalt Aquatics before, but I looked up their Tropical Flakes ingredients: Tropical Flakes Premium Fish Food - $2.40 : Cobalt Aquatics, Fresh and Salt Water Equipment and Consumables

There is only one fish mentioned in the first 5 ingredients, and wheat, corn and soybean to all be high up on the list instead. I probably wouldn't feed this food myself to be honest.

Compare those ingredients to the ones in Omega One's Freshwater Flakes: Freshwater Flakes | OmegaSea®

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
My favorites are Omega One, New Life Spectrum, and Hikari (frozen). I haven't heard of Cobalt Aquatics before, but I looked up their Tropical Flakes ingredients: Tropical Flakes Premium Fish Food - $2.40 : Cobalt Aquatics, Fresh and Salt Water Equipment and Consumables

There is only one fish mentioned in the first 5 ingredients, and wheat, corn and soybean to all be high up on the list instead. I probably wouldn't feed this food myself to be honest.

Compare those ingredients to the ones in Omega One's Freshwater Flakes: Freshwater Flakes | OmegaSea®
I love the API brand, and I've heard great things about Omega One and Hikari.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love the API brand, and I've heard great things about Omega One and Hikari.

Ive not been terribly impressed with the ingredients of API on the ones I looked at.

I did find this website which does breakdown of fish foods/ingredients.

Fish Food Reviews

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed my fish (Corydoras catfish) New Life Spectrum as well as Omega One Shrimp Pellets. I used to feed them Tetra but it was just OK. The New Life is much better quality. I've also used the Hikari brand.