• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what pets did you grow up with.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Growing up we only had fish, guinea pigs and one cat. Never a dog, so when I got married and bought our first house I bought a big dog. A Rottweiler named Muffin, a total sweetheart. Then since growing up in the water the next thing we bought was a 300 gallon saltwater reef fish tank. Oh so enchanting and relaxing! I still have that tank!
2-65646643.gif AquariumsMontyBayC0762_400x267.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Growing up I wasn’t allowed pets but I loved them so I kept bringing home strays and injured birds anyway. I had rabbits and goldfish....and an aquarium full of tropical fish. Finally I was allowed a dog but she had to stay outdoors. Once I told this old lady I would take her ancient collie and care for it but my parents took it to the shelter while I was away at camp.

My dog, when I grew up and moved away from home I wasn’t allowed to take her with me. I was really sad about that.

I made up for it by having quite a zoo myself, and I raised my kids on a farm where we had horses, dogs,cats, birds, rabbits, and more.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Every critter category out there! Cats, dogs, fish, birds, guinea pigs, horses, goats, chickens, ducks, lizards...
My parents were (and still are!) saints, I was rescuing everything under the sun (imagine that..) and they rarely gave me a hard time about it (except that one time I put a yearling calf in the back of my car and drove it home, that was a little dangerous...)

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Growing up I was always around animals. We had beef cattle, outside cats, a bunny once that was from
My grandpas rabbits. It wasn’t a nice bunny. We had ducks once, and we always had a dog. The dog was only allowed on the kitchen though, slept on a rug. I had a few hamsters at once time, and a small aquarium, a Guinea pig I was later forced to get rid of, and a budgie named Peppy. I eventually had one indoor cat. I also had a pony at one point.

Both of my grandparents that lived close by were also farmers. They both had horses at one time or another, one had pigs and dairy cows, a house cat and a grumpy rooster that only liked me and the other had chickens and rabbits, dogs, guinea fowl, ducks, and even peacocks I think.

My other side of the family was into birds and that is where my bird love comes from. Budgies usually. My grandma always had a budgie, so did one of my uncles. My dad even had birds at one time.
All this animal exposure fostered my love for animals and I as an adult I’ve had many different animals except snakes and spiders. I also worked for a vet for over 8 years. My sisters are also passionate about animals.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
As a little kid I grew up with a golden retriever, approximately five million cats, my eldest sister's hamsters, several fancy mice, lovebirds, budgies, and a lutino cockatiel named Fred. Fred was the one who really made me fall in love with birds, and when he passed away I picked out Kraz for my next birthday.
And things just snowballed from there, lol.
Now I've got sixteen pets, including my fids, a dog, a cat, a snake, a skink, tarantulas, fish, a newt, and a supremely fluffy bunny. :D

Tiny birb

Meeting neighbors
For my family it was mostly a dog 2 fish and 2 chatty birds my favorite was going to the pet store and looking at the conures