• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what pets did you grow up with.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
there's nothing like loving an animal, best thing ever
Inter-species relationships have fascinated me all my life. Whether they be human being with other being, or "animal to animal". There's much to be learned by observing such unlikely relationships. I must say I have garnered more from my relationships with other species than from my relationships with other humans.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
yes, your right it is fascinating. i can remember having a lonely childhood, but i had many animals to love. in those days there were a lot of street dogs, well i hung around with all of them! even though i am all grown up now, the bond i feel with animals is just as strong, they are family.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri

Scorch

Strolling the yard
As a child I LOVED animals... before I could even read I would leaf through a huge animal encyclopaedia looking at each of the pictures. I was around 6 when I developed a love for cockatiels, I didn't even know their name so I just described them the 'bird with red cheeks and spikes':D. We had loads of animals in our childhood despite my mum not being keen on them. My mum always argued when my dad brings an animal in the house but she can't help falling in love with them. :p Anyway... back to the point, we had 2 canaries, 2 green and yellow budgies, 2 Indian Ringnecks, 1 blue and 1 white . We had a tuxedo cat and she had 4 kittens, then we moved abroad and had to give them all to friends but got a himalayan cat who unfortunately got lost :(. Finally we got 2 budgies (1 sky blue and another a nice violet) and another beautiful green Indian Ringneck. We are hoping to get a kitten soon and when I am older and more free I hope to get a cockatiel.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love this thread! I grew up with a lot of animals. We had Seven cats, a dog, two guinea pigs, and a bunch of rabbits when I was really young. I all the cats were senior when I was 6, and most died around that time. Same for the rabbits and the dog. Then we had a husky, a hamster, and two cats. When my parents divorced we didn’t have any cats anymore(one died very young in an accident with the window and the other one went to my grandma to live there, she is still there nowadays. My mother failed to teach my brother and sister to respect animals so they hunted the cat down to play with her. She couldn’t cope with that obviously). My parents rehomed our husky as well. I was heartbroken, she was amazing and my best friend. I went to visit her in her new home after she had been there for over a year, and she was doing really well. She remembered me and went crazy when she saw me, it was so sweet!
We didn’t have any pets for a while, but then we adopties Max, our cat. Soon Whisky, another cat, followed. At that time we me and my brother both had q mouse as well, but they lived with my father so we only saw them when we were with my father. He didn’t have a home at that moment and lived on the farm(not a productive farm, they have chickens, rabbits, does, used to have three goats, cows, pigeons, cats(one of them is a street a cat I befriended, and my parents agreed to take him to my grandparents so he could live a good life), a few ducks and two horses) of his parents.
My father’s new girlfriend did have a dog, Kely. I had a great bond with Kely, she really was my heart dog. She died of cancer two years ago, but she did have a long, happy life. Me and my two siblings adopted three Flamish giant rabbits who lived with my father. They had to stay at the farm for a month because we were moving into a new house. Due to a whole drama with my nieces, they bres one of our rabbits. There were 12 babies and one of them got rejected. We took her home and raised her by hand.
My mother bought a rabbit too, Bacardi. She really doesn’t understand what care they need. The rabbits we had when I was young, had free range of our garden do were quite happy, but Bacardi was alone and living inside. Eventually I persuaded her and was allowed to give her a friend(his name was Special)and a big outside enclosure.
Soon after Bacardi came here, I was allowed to adopt my first bird, Tiki the Cockatiel. Special died after two years. He was only 6 at the time, I don’t know what happend exactly but he tripped over something and snapped his neck. Bacardi’s new friend is Breezer, one of my friends found him roaming around in the city. They couldn’t find out where he came from, even after putting up posters, so I took him in. He was only 3 months old and gracefully accepted Bacardi as his queen.
Then I got the great idea to hatch two duck eggs. My grandmother(the one who lives on the farm) always told me how much she would like to have a small flock of Indian runnners. She is very dear to me, and because Indian runners are not really common here I decided to hatch them myself. I hired a broeder, got four eggs from a lady who had a small flock and didn’t want them to reproduce, and after 30 days Pippin and Myn were Born. They bonded to me and were very tame, and I couldn’t bear to let them go. So they stayer here.
My mother’s boyfriend got a lovebird and wanted me to tame him. I Said I would do it. That lovie was Henkie, and after a month my mother’s boyfriend Said I could keep him. So Henkie could stay. The fact that he stayed only had one con, I wasn’t allowed to adopt a second tiel anymore.
Tiki died in september 2016, and in August 2017 I adopted Fëanor, another lovebird.
So I have grown up with a lot of animals. I love animals so much and I feel so lucky that I got to build a lot of relationships with all kinds of animals. When one of the mother cows would die at the farm, usually the baby had to be hand raised. My father lived there when such a thing happend. Sjaakie was an orphaned calf, and I got to care for him completly when I was around. I also witnessed the birth of my ducks and a lot of cows. My garndmother would call me when a cow was giving birth. I couldn’t tell Anyone else and had to be really quiet, it was wonderful to see a calf take his first steps and drink for the first time. A lot can be Said about my mother, but after all I am happy that she allowed me to give parrots a place in my life. Parrots more than any others animals have turned my entire life upside down. Those Tiny bundles of feather mean everything to me and have taught me so much.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I grew up with a cat, dogs, fish, and budgies.

Felix the cat wasn't around for very long after I was born, as he was older and passed away from old age, but I remember him always sleeping on my dad.

Rudy wasn't around long enough for me to remember much, either. He was a gorgeous rottweiler, but my grandparents used to live in the country and it was common to let cats and dogs roam, and they lived near a main road, so you can imagine what happened.

Nikkie, Shaddik, Mr. Pit, Toby and Tommy were the dogs I remember the most. We didn't have Toby very long, since the spca didn't tell us he was sick and he didn't show signs until it was too late (they knew as they'd done the tests but never told us). He would always sit on my lap and come pick me up with my mom (on his leash) from the bus stop. Nikkie was such a good dog. He'd follow us everywhere, protect us from everything, and just generally love being around us. Mr. Pitt and Shaddik were my aunt's pits, and I loved them. Shaddik was a monster dog. He was the runt, and my aunt got him because the other puppies were picking on him, and he basically grew and grew and grew until he was the hugest dog I ever met. They were such good dogs, I used to use them as horses. Tommy was the special boy, though. He was a tiny little white ball of love. Wouldn't even bite me when we play-fought. He'd bite the blankets, the floor- anything.

Petie and Snowflake were my budgies. Petie was my first, and he lived until the age of 15 or so? I never asked for a budgie, my mom just showed up with one for my birthday and said here. I was super happy to have him, but he never really was tamed. I didn't know much about taming birbs back then, but I loved to talk to him through his cage. Snowflake was given to us by a friend after he died- she'd been attacked by her other budgies and needed a home. She was always a very quiet bird, and was much older than Petie. Never really liked doing anything but singing to the radio and didn't like people, but we all really loved her.

Not really sure what kinds of fish we had, though. I DO remember accidentally pouring milk in their tank when I was six or so. I thought it was water and my mom said I was screaming about 'thirsty fish' and 'not meaning to do that' and my mom making weird fish faces as she used a hose to suck all the water out. It was pretty traumatizing, believe it or not.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I had an interesting childhood. I grew up with bobcats, skunks, an owl my mom fed roadkill to because he was too blind to hunt, ferrets, horses, and other random animals my mom would bring home from the zoo she worked at. I have pictures of me, as a tiny baby, in a crib with a bobcat lol. So parrots and fairly tame compared to the animals I am used to!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW!:faint:That sure is interesting! I imagine iT was amazing to grow up together with all those beautiful animals:heart:

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
We had our dog Sassy (who was named after the cat in Homeward Bound for some reason), fish, three budgies, Flint, Crysta and Snowbird, a cockatiel named Pixie and then a rat named Templeton. Those were the family pets, and then I had three hamsters, Scamper 1, Scamper 2 (I guess I just really liked the name Scamper) and Luna and then we got two more rats after Templeton passed away. Havarti was mine and Goda was my sister's. And then my sister also had a bunny named Hopper. My friends called my house the zoo. It was wonderful.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Growing up we (family) had mostly cats. Then dogs and cats. One winter a pomeranian that was lost came to our door step and decided to give him a home. I had a hamster when I was a kid. I used to go with my dad to deliver shedding to farms for their horses, and there was a turtle along side a road that was wandering around so I put it in a little tank and fed it but had to release it. Obviously, I wanted a turtle at the time. I always liked to think I "adopted" a horse and would feed them hay as I was at the farms. Entering my teens I stumbled open Baby at a pet store with a bin of cockatiels. He waddled up to me with his little beetle eyes. And here is today with me. :tieln:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Dogs, goldfish, guinea pigs, budgies, and canaries.

Mom worked in the pet department at a defunct department store (W.T. Grants) and would bring home male canaries that somehow got mixed up with females...so there was always a lot of birdsong at our house...

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I had a cockatiel named Chipper

Two dogs named max and coco

A cat named mid night

And a hamester , can’t remember his name

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I grew up with fish, lots of fish! For the past 5 and a half years I've been growing up with birds. For the past 3 years I've had a dog, and the past year and a half I've had a cat. I'm still in high school, so I'm growing up with lots of animals.

Until I was 10 years old, I had a light blue betta named Bubbles. Every time he died we got another light blue one and named it bubbles. I had like 20 Bubbles' in my life time.
Long story short, LONG LIVE BUBBLES!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I grew up in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu. This was the 70's and it wasn't super populated and there were a lot of wild fruit trees. Lots of animals lived around us like lizards and birds. I never had a pet growing up. Lucky, my 10 year old five pound Yorkie is my first pet. I saw a lot of mynah birds growing up talking and I never ever thought to own one.

Many years later, I was in college and it didn't seem like a good idea to get a pet. Then began working immediately after graduation working 80 hours a week. Lucky supposed to be my daughter's dog. She was the one that wanted him. He ended up being mine. I finally got him a friend, Star, another Yorkie to keep him company while I was working. Now I'm home all day and making up for not ever having had pets.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
I grew up with a cat, dogs, fish, and budgies.

Felix the cat wasn't around for very long after I was born, as he was older and passed away from old age, but I remember him always sleeping on my dad.
The name Felix automatically makes me feel happy and sad at the same time. When I was younger (around 6) my dad brought a kitten inside, we didn't know she was a she then so we called her Felix in context that she was a black and white cat and related to my mum's childhood cartoon 'Felix the Black and White Cat'. The name suited her so much we decided to keep it even though she was a girl. After months and months of playing happily and being woken up with a cold little nose on our face and her soft little paws (best alarm clock ever) we noticed she was getting heavier and heavier. Us being kids, we didn't think much about it but she started getting even fatter. One day, my mum bought me some roller-skates and asked my brothers to help me with it. We spent all day in the garden, only coming in when we have been stung by nettles and needed my mum to remove the needles for us. At night we all told stories while drinking milk when my dad announces that he has a surprise. The only clue he gave us was that it was related to Felix. The surprise was that Felix gave birth to 4 kittens. We saw them but we weren't allowed to handle them and we left them alone for I'm not sure how long. They all were healthy and beautiful. We named them Explorer, Silver, Hunter and Dark Knight (Dark Knight had the exact same colours as his mum). Unfortunately we weren't able to keep them all but we bonded so much with them even if it was only around a couple of months. My dad sold them to trustworthy friends and that brought out a lot of tears. The last that remained was Dark Knight and even he was taken later. It was okay because we still had Felix. However later on, we had to move abroad and couldn't keep her. We gave her to one of my dad's friend who promised to take really good care of her. For 5 years we were getting news on how she is going and one day we learned that she unfortunately passed away in a car accident. We were devastated but one of my dad's friends called him and told us to come and visit Dark Knight. Dark Knight still lives and we are still hoping to visit him. We don't know how the rest of the kittens are as their owners didn't keep contact. That is the story of our Felix, a truly brilliant part of our family. You are still missed and remembered...

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Animals are for sure my #1 passion. I honestly don’t know who I’d be without them. One thing I know for certain - I would be extremely lonely. I do school at home, so I already don’t go out much. But when I do, I’m very shy, so I’m horrible at meeting new people. My pets are my family, my best friends. They give me companionship like none other.

Anyways, getting to the point, I have had dogs, cats, birds, fish, and other small critters throughout my life.

Dogs:

My first dog and best fiend is Odie. We got Odie when I was very young - we grew up together. A little later on my parents brought home another Dachshund dog, Cricket. And well, we ended up with Dachshund pups! We gave the pups to trusted friends and family of my parents. We also eventually gave Cricket to a very close friend who worked with my dad. All Dachshunds are alive and well today - including my bestie, Odie (who still lives with us). He’s a lazy little guy, who can be a bit grumpy, but overall very sweet and cuddly (he gets SO excited when you get a blanket and get down on the floor with him - that means it’s snuggle time!). He’s also absolutely crazy for cheese. :hehe:

364E256C-205F-4E5C-81A6-12E4C32618B6.jpeg
And here is Odie passed out on my legs, lol.

Several years later, we brought our Australian Shepherd dog, Gizmo, home. He was only a pup. The trip to the breeders’ house and back home was quite an adventure! On our way back to the house after we got our precious new family member, our car broke down and we had to get a ride to a hotel and stay the night. I can’t imagine how stressful this must’ve all been for our Gizmo - but he was and is a brave and chill fella! 8-9 years later, and our ‘Mo is almost a senior, and a very sweet one at that! He absolutely LOVES people. :heart:

Cats:
Leonardo was the first cat I ever shared a home with. He was a complete black kitty with a white tip on his tail. He was a sweetheart, playful, but not exactly cuddly. Sadly we had to eventually re-home him, though I don’t remember exactly why.

:heart: Gemmie :heart: One of our current cats. She’s the queen, and she’s very proper. She will lay down and cross her front paws over one another. :hehe: We like to think that she’s thinking, “Bow before me, Humans!”. Overall, she’s very sweet. She’s not really a fan of being held and cuddled, but she loves to get pets and in return, give you little ‘kisses.’ She also likes to sleep by you, but not on you.

Last, our newest kitty, Yoda. He’s actually very sweet, and very cuddly. He will just come up and climb in to your lap. And he’s very talkative, too. He always tries to have conversations with us - if only we could understand what he’s trying to tell us. :rolleyes:But he’s VERY mischievous cat, or even pet, that I’ve ever lived with. He feels the need to get into everything, stick his face in everything. Everything you don’t want him to do, he will do. He’s just a wild cat. :)

Birds:
Bella was my first bird and Budgie. She was my total sweetheart. She loved interacting with everyone. She was missing a toe, but that definitely didn’t affect her in even the slightest. I’m very much ashamed to say that I made a stupid mistake involving her food, which resulted in her passing. I feel so guilty to this day. She died so young, and she still showed me what wonderful creatures birds could be. R.I.P Bella :pbbudgie::pbbudgie::pbbudgie:

A little while after the passing of Bella, I welcomed Alex in to our home, but that didn’t even last long. I brought Alex home in hopes that I could give him a better home and that he could help heal my broken heart. Sadly, Alex died of a sickness a few days after I got him. Well, as you can probably guess, that didn’t help my already hurting heart at all. I wish I had more to say about this little guy - he was still settling in and I didn’t even get to know him. :budgie2: :(

Now, I have my two boys, Skittles and Nico. They differ so much in personality, yet their so perfectly bonded together. :heart: Skittles is a bit older than Nico, I believe. Nico is a bit more shy than Skittles. I love them both very much. :heart: And they have been with me for about 5-6 years.

Other Critters:
I have had multiple fish throughout my life - but only Beta fish. My most recent one was Oscar, a beautiful blue one, and this was several years ago. I don’t currently have any fish.

And though they’re not technically mine, I currently share a home with 2 hermit crabs, Jorge and Newt. They’re really my brother’s, but I have very much enjoyed getting to know these creatures.

Well, that pretty much sums up the pets I’ve grown up with. Mind you, I’m still growing up :hehe:, so we’ll see if any more/what animals find their way to my home. Each and every animal I’ve had the privilege of having, both past and current ones, has been loved very dearly here. Each animal was/is an important part of my life.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
When I was growing up we had a little bit of everything for a while. We had dogs, cats, chickens, mice, Koi, snakes, hamster, eels, and I think that is it. My dad turned our swimming pool into a Koi pond and they grew to a crazy size. One of the was almost three feet long.