• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what pets did you grow up with.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
When I was a toddler we had a beagle. I annoyed him and he nipped at me so I bit him back and then we both cried to my mom. She had no idea what to do...call the doctor...the vet...get shots...but for which one of us?! We both got scrubbed with antiseptic and put in time-out, gained a healthy respect for each other and never did it again.

In childhood we had a budgie, a cock-a-poo (that's a dog not a 'Too LOL) and a cat. Then at different times (with some overlap) I have had two cockateils, 2 snakes, a dog and four cats. Now of course I have Cricket and Watson, my two GCCs.

My dog Barney has been with me 14 years and I have had my cat Abbey for 18 years. While their general health is not bad, both will be leaving me soon I fear. They will take a big piece of me with them.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Also got into shrimp keeping a year ago! Was first introduced to cherry shrimp December of 2015, but set up my own tank for them exactly 1 year ago today! Working on getting a tank together for work! ;) (also shrimp!)
Do you know what it is about shrimp that you find more interesting than fish? I'm just curious, the only shrimp I've ever had briefly were ghost shrimp from a lab when their research was over. I've had at least a couple bettas but I'm not truly a fan of any aquatic pet I've encountered thus far.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I grew up with rescues, baby ducks, mallards, a few owls, New Zealand Rabbits and a found parakeet in our backyard who lived to 19 yrs with my parents which is amazing. My Mother went out in the backyard with my butterfly net thinking she would catch Richard the parakeet, instead he flew to her shoulder and came inside, he talked amazingly so many words. Hence where my love of birds came about, the owls of course helped that immensely also. Never had a dog or cat, I have both now and they are rescues also. I never have to buy treats for Brutus (Mastiff Great Dane) because my mother supplies all his treats and more. She calls him her grandson... :smuggrin:

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Do you know what it is about shrimp that you find more interesting than fish? I'm just curious, the only shrimp I've ever had briefly were ghost shrimp from a lab when their research was over. I've had at least a couple bettas but I'm not truly a fan of any aquatic pet I've encountered thus far.
Not at all, to be honest... lol

Haven't kept ghost shrimp... just cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp (same as cherries, just different color), and amano shrimp. When I met my SO, he had angelfish, albino dojo/weather loach, albino BN pleco and albino cory cats. Now, it's just kuhli loaches (3 black, 1 striped) and shrimp.

I would like to set up tanks for Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp (both cherry types) and maybe put Yellow King Kongs (different species) with the Bloody Mary?

But for work, I want something more along the lines of these guys...
Buy Freshwater Aquarium shrimp for sale Neocaridina | L.R.Bretz Aquatics
Fancy Mix Cherry Shrimp – Tampa Aquaculture Inc.

As much as I enjoy watching fish and seeing the various types of fish, I don't have any desire to keep fish, even the pretty bettas at the store! And there are some gorgeous ones, too! But shrimp? They're just fascinating little creatures!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Not at all, to be honest... lol

Haven't kept ghost shrimp... just cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp (same as cherries, just different color), and amano shrimp. When I met my SO, he had angelfish, albino dojo/weather loach, albino BN pleco and albino cory cats. Now, it's just kuhli loaches (3 black, 1 striped) and shrimp.

I would like to set up tanks for Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp (both cherry types) and maybe put Yellow King Kongs (different species) with the Bloody Mary?

As much as I enjoy watching fish and seeing the various types of fish, I don't have any desire to keep fish, even the pretty bettas at the store! And there are some gorgeous ones, too! But shrimp? They're just fascinating little creatures!
I don't know too much about shrimp, I do remember seeing electric blue crayfish and thought they pretty awesome looking though. I've ended up with various things from labs over the years. They somewhat frequently either got rid of or euthanized the animals after they were done with research. Rats, mice, bettas, crickets, shrimp, roaches, danios, etc. It's almost amazing I haven't ended up with more animals from there than I have already :roflmao:

I will have to look up what Bloody Mary shrimp look like :hehe:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I will have to look up what Bloody Mary shrimp look like :hehe:

They are just *really* nice red lookin shrimps! I kind of prefer them over some of the other reds because they look more like a nice, deep red ruby because they are kind of translucent, vs the other reds, as nice as they are, they are opaque in coloration... or kind of see-through!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/randy_lei/shrimp/2013/201309red/bm1_zps7a297144.jpg
http://aquamir-za-steklom.ru/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Neocaridina-Bloody-Mary.jpg
Bloody Mary Sakura Garnele günstig kaufen - RENDO-SHRIMP-Shop

That last one actually has great photos of various shrimp mutations, colors and hybrids...
Zwerggarnelen günstig online kaufen - RENDO-SHRIMP-Shop

Although some of the names used for the shrimp here in America are different than what they use over there. (Germany/Europe)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I grew up with 2 Quarter horses, 1 minature horse, 1 barn cat, coop of chickens, 1 mean ol billy goat, 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, a few goldfish, and a failed saltwater aquarium :( then as I grew into a young adult my parrots. Now, I only have my parrots and couldnt be any happier, however I really wouldnt mind adding a saltwater aquarium someday with my favorite fish a Red Volitan Lionfish.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
After like age 7 going into age 15 I had fire bellied toads. That was pretty much it lol.
Up until two years ago I rescued neglected hermit crabs from places like Kijiji, I had 9 and they were all healthy and active at all times of the day. I had to rehome them due to conflicts with them and the fact they lived in a massive tank in a tiny room and I was crushed.
IMG_0138.JPG
Here was my favourite one, his name was Very Berry.

gavagai

Moving in
My mother had a cat from before I was born. I had fish briefly in grade school, and I kept bees as a teenager (the bees weren't pets though they were a hobby; I've always liked bees). I raised tadpoles into frogs and caterpillars into butterflies as a kid, though I couldn't keep the adult forms. I also kept spring peepers and crickets for short periods of time and had an ant farm once. Twice we raised baby chicks as a project from my school.

Outside my house, my elementary school had a Syrian hamster and guinea pigs.

Outside my house and the realm of "pets," I had some experience with a variety of farm animals. Though my parents wouldn't let me have any, I come from a rural area, and got to have experience with other people's animals including feeding chickens, collecting eggs, grooming horses and rabbits, and milking cows, all things that would probably have been chores if I'd actually lived on a farm but were fun because I only did it occasionally.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My mother had a cat from before I was born. I had fish briefly in grade school, and I kept bees as a teenager (the bees weren't pets though they were a hobby; I've always liked bees). I raised tadpoles into frogs and caterpillars into butterflies as a kid, though I couldn't keep the adult forms. I also kept spring peepers and crickets for short periods of time and had an ant farm once. Twice we raised baby chicks as a project from my school.

Outside my house, my elementary school had a Syrian hamster and guinea pigs.

Outside my house and the realm of "pets," I had some experience with a variety of farm animals. Though my parents wouldn't let me have any, I come from a rural area, and got to have experience with other people's animals including feeding chickens, collecting eggs, grooming horses and rabbits, and milking cows, all things that would probably have been chores if I'd actually lived on a farm but were fun because I only did it occasionally.
I'd like to have a bee colony one day for the honey but I'm not lying in that I'd probably consider them pets and grow attached. I had ant farms until all of them got loose in my aunt's room on vacation as a kid (she was NOT happy). I've had crickets but never considered them pets, I find them more of a pain to breed than roaches.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
my grandparents raised chicken for a while. in a batch of baby chickens from feed and seed, came a turkey pullet, he was the meanest bird I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. if you were hanging up laundry you had to carry a broom with you to keep from getting pecked in the tush . one year there was gosling mixed in with the baby chickens, another wickedly mean bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
my grandparents raised chicken for a while. in a batch of baby chickens from feed and seed, came a turkey pullet, he was the meanest bird I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. if you were hanging up laundry you had to carry a broom with you to keep from getting pecked in the tush . one year there was gosling mixed in with the baby chickens, another wickedly mean bird.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'd like to have a bee colony one day for the honey but I'm not lying in that I'd probably consider them pets and grow attached.
I love my bugs, but I'm not sure I would consider them pets. I'm not too comfortable with how we think of them as livestock either.

I think when we care for something it's hard not to grow attached to it.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I love my bugs, but I'm not sure I would consider them pets. I'm not too comfortable with how we think of them as livestock either.

I think when we care for something it's hard not to grow attached to it.
I'm more on the lines of I don't care if people think of animals as pets, livestock, or a collection so long as they're well taken care of in the end. Some people agree while some people disagree with this sentiment.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
When I was 5 we adopted two cats, and when I went up to Japan I used to have silkworms as pets along with a Silky chicken!
After coming back from Japan and I started middle school we adopted then three more cats.
I fostered a few juvenile zebra doves due to broken wings.
And I also had two mice (one was named Algernon who lost an eye in a mice fight and rescued a female mouse, and the other was Demyx)
And I had at one point a Hawaiian Blind snake. They're very small black snakes that live in the dirt.
I also had a 3 yr old beta named Monster (he wasn't a pretty huge Betta) and he was such a sweetheart.... he doesn't of dropsy...
Then I had lots ignore fish but they didn't live as long as Monster.... Until my Comet goldfish named Michael who lived 8-9 years... and because he was old he died from choking on his fish food....
By then we had eight cats, and my partner wanted a dog for his house because I have anxiety and depression he thought it'll be a great idea for it to help with my mental illness. (But the darn dog is just not cutting it for me. He stresses me out the most because he bites and we've been training him but his father undoes the training)
Then came Melon whom had a broken wing and nursed back to health at the age of three months then the Budgies.
And then I got another dog and I trained her myself which she's a great dog. And she doesn't stress me out as much.

Then last year we went from eight cats to three, one passed away at the age of 16, and the other four were all given up due to the fact that the terrible previous landlord decied to kick us out due to the bathtub that we never got fixed even if we told him many times. (He never knew we had eight cats and a dog because all of our pets were well behaved and hardly made messes believe it or not.)

And my partner's mother got rid of my three cats because she forced her way back into my partner's and his father's place. (She's caused us and his family nothing but trouble trust me.) and lied to me saying that my partner's father was gonna kill them (which he would not do. He's not a big cat fan but he respects animals.)

And now we are currently fostering a 4-5 day old kitten. I honestly can't live without animals and I am so glad I grew up with them!

Brianna

Moving in
My first pet was a peach faced lovebird named Squeaker who I inherited from my older brother who turned out to be allergic to feathers (lol). So little Squeaker lived in my room and I took care of (him/her?... We never found out) for many years until she passed away. After a few years without her as a young adult I got very upset that I had no pets so I got a fish... which was upgraded to a large tank... which still wasn't enough so after much begging I finally got my little Hedwig budgie as a surprise Christmas gift... She is from a large chain petstore but it took me one day to take her and she's a little cuddlebug

I've also been riding horses since I was around 5. I started leasing one at around 14 and my incredible parents later bought me Chica who I still have today.

I have a list of animals I would like to have later in life, mostly birds (moluccan cockatoo, eclectus, duck, English bull terrier, etc)XD I definitely plan on adopting all animals from here on out.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
During My 33 year long life i have had 2 dogs 1 Whippet named Bambino well His full name was Permobil Mixi Man, he died 2000 after being struck by a car at the age of 12.
Second dog was Keeno that we bought 2002 he was a Shabrador and passed away 2011 after struggling with cancer.

Should we talk about all the rabbits i had? I think not...Dont have that much battery on My phone to go throught them all ;)
But easy counted we have had 12 rabbits in total :)

1 leopard Gecko that i think we had for 17 years when he passed away.

3 Guinea pigs that we had a Short time.

And aquarium with some fishes.

4 canaries that had such lovely songs.

1 Indian Ring Neck named Rally that was a super cool guy that liked to annoy all the Tiels ;)

And then we come to the cockatiels.
We started with 2 Tiels Jack and Jackie, and it ended up with 3 more Laban, Sam and Loui.

All of the pets was divided between me and My sister...Even tho was mostly me that cared for them.

Now i live with a Cat named Cindy and My 2 parrots Jack (Caique) and Toby (Meyers)

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i was brought up with german shepherds, my mum didnt like cats and would chase them out of the garden. i liked all animals. i found a dead frog once and thought if i put it in water it would be alright, but it wasnt and it stunk the bathroom out and i was in a lot of trouble. i was always finding hurt birds that the cats caught, or fledglings. i was too young to know i should leave them alone, i just wanted to help them.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
My first memory of an animal in my life is from the age of 3. My father had left my mother, my older brother and sister, and me, two years earlier. My mom was only 22 at this time.

I can clearly see the little attic room that was just big enough for a little bed that I shared with my older sister. I can also clearly remember a cat that I insisted I wanted to hold while taking our nap. Even more clearly, I remember waking up to some blood and gooey stuff all over me. Mixed in with the gooey, miracle of miracles, were KITTENS!

According to my mom, from that point on, I wanted every animal I saw!

I was very fortunate in the years to come. I fell in love with horses when I was four. The very first story I wrote was called,
"Janet Gets a Pony"! Great title, huh? I eventually did get a pony. My first one, Shenandoah, when I was 11.

Before, during and after pony #1, were dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, and any injured creature I happened upon (usually while out riding). I remember one litter of baby squirrels I had been watching from my bedroom window (they were in my favorite climbing tree). I witnessed their mother get hit by a car. We took in the babies and put them in with my pet mice. I fed them something (can't recall) with an eyedropper... and set them free once they were eating on their own!

Can't thank my mom and stepdad enough for allowing me to be the animal lover that I was obviously born to be!