• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is a good cage?

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
The Avian Adventures play tops are nice because the play top is removable and you can move it off the cage and have your bird sit on it away from the cage.
Thank you that is really good to know. I will look into those cages.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
This is one I am looking at on ebay. Can't figure out what brand it is but it is nice & a good price.

Bird Cages Large Play Top Parrot Finch Cage New Aviary Supplies | eBay
I have that cage and it works pretty well for a Maxi Pionus that was used to a much smaller 19x19 cage. A lot of vendors sell it at different price points and that one is about as cheap as I've seen it. It isn't huge but seems like a mansion compared to the antique I used to have that Nerd then lurch used.
Might not be good for a bird much bigger or stronger and they tend to have bent bars and panels when they arrive but are easy to unbend and once assembled are actually pretty sturdy. The main door and feed doors are easy to deal with and all my guys loved the play top once they got used to it.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I have that cage and it works pretty well for a Maxi Pionus that was used to a much smaller 19x19 cage. A lot of vendors sell it at different price points and that one is about as cheap as I've seen it. It isn't huge but seems like a mansion compared to the antique I used to have that Nerd then lurch used.
Might not be good for a bird much bigger or stronger and they tend to have bent bars and panels when they arrive but are easy to unbend and once assembled are actually pretty sturdy. The main door and feed doors are easy to deal with and all my guys loved the play top once they got used to it.
Thank you :)
Glad to hear from someone that has this cage. Not sure what bird I am getting yet. But good to have all these suggestions.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
This is one I am looking at on ebay. Can't figure out what brand it is but it is nice & a good price.

Bird Cages Large Play Top Parrot Finch Cage New Aviary Supplies | eBay

Thats a super price with free shipping 24 x 22 inch & has a playtop, feeder doors, ss bowls & steel draws but if you look closely you can see the steel is very light & in areas is bent even in the photos. The ladder on that playtop is as thick as a cage bar which is much to thin to be of any use. Its alot of cage for $109 & better than a $80 plastic parakeet size cage but don;t think it will hold up well even for a conure or meyers.

I too like the avian adventures & even they have gone down in quality over the years but they mostly are sturdy & well built. If you check out how thick the ladder is on the AA you will see the difference.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The ladder is thin but more then adequate for a Pionus once they get used to using it and all my bent spots were easy to fix and it is surprisingly sturdy once all assembled but a really big strong bird could probably beat it up pretty fast. My maxis never had a problem with it and Lurch and now Dobby love it.
If you have the money the other cages are stronger and nicer but if not it's a good choice as long as your bird has enough room and can't bend and destroy the bars. I haven't noticed any paint falling off either.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Thats a super price with free shipping 24 x 22 inch & has a playtop, feeder doors, ss bowls & steel draws but if you look closely you can see the steel is very light & in areas is bent even in the photos. The ladder on that playtop is as thick as a cage bar which is much to thin to be of any use. Its alot of cage for $109 & better than a $80 plastic parakeet size cage but don;t think it will hold up well even for a conure or meyers.

I too like the avian adventures & even they have gone down in quality over the years but they mostly are sturdy & well built. If you check out how thick the ladder is on the AA you will see the difference.
What do you think of these 2 cages?

88" Inch Parrot Bird Flight Finch Cage Macaws Pet Supply Aviary House w/Free Toy | eBay

or

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/bayardplaytopcage.cfm

Thank you for your suggestions. The cage on hayneedle looks just like the Avian Adventure cage. I like A&E cages I have 1 & the price is better.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have the A&E cage that you have linked to as well as Avian Adventures cages. When it comes down to it I like the AA cages better. Pros: removable play top, shelf on bottom, thicker gauge bars and thicker metal used for trays, easier to put together. A&E Pros: the door locks are better and it comes with swing out feeder doors with bowls attached to doors. I don't like some of the gaps with the A&E....gap between breeder door and cage frame, gap around play top area. This wouldn't be a problem for a larger bird but not necessarily great for Senegal or other small Poi.
The A&E took me 4 hrs to put together. The AAs generally take me about 30 mins.
The A&E still remains empty. The AA Chiquitas I purchased at about the same time are occupied.
I would only buy the A&E again if the prices were great.
JMHO

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I have the A&E cage that you have linked to as well as Avian Adventures cages. When it comes down to it I like the AA cages better. Pros: removable play top, shelf on bottom, thicker gauge bars and thicker metal used for trays, easier to put together. A&E Pros: the door locks are better and it comes with swing out feeder doors with bowls attached to doors. I don't like some of the gaps with the A&E....gap between breeder door and cage frame, gap around play top area. This wouldn't be a problem for a larger bird but not necessarily great for Senegal or other small Poi.
The A&E took me 4 hrs to put together. The AAs generally take me about 30 mins.
The A&E still remains empty. The AA Chiquitas I purchased at about the same time are occupied.
I would only buy the A&E again if the prices were great.
JMHO

Thank you very much for the Pros on both cages that gives me something to look at.
It would be better to go somewhere & see the cages but that isn't much of an option here.
Have to order online & just looking at pictures can throw you off. they look so much bigger in the pictures & you don't notice the gaps.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll take some photos when I get a chance to show you what I mean. The other thing I don't like about the A&E is the top panel although once you put the tray on top of that it pushes it down in place better. The A&E is an OK cage but when I compare it to the AA cages I just like the AA better.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Let me ask another question?
I am planning on going to the Exotic Bird Mart to look at birds. But if I happen to find one I don't want to not have a cage.
Could I get a small cheap cage that I could use for a few days? Something that I could maybe move my cockatiel into later & give her a new cage. I could order a cage the right size for the bird I find & have it in a few days. All of the bird stores are close here early on Sat. & are closed on Sun. so running out for a cage that night wouldn't be an option. Even the Petsmart or Petco don't carry big enough cages in the stores only online. We are very limited for getting a cage in town.
I don't want to spend a lot of money on a really big cage then get a smaller bird.
Not sure what to do. But want some kind of cage by Feb. 25th.
Suggestions Please
I really appreciate everyone helping.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's possible that the bird mart could be selling cages, too. Sometimes, you can even find discounted cages because they don't want to have to lug the cages back with them.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
It's possible that the bird mart could be selling cages, too. Sometimes, you can even find discounted cages because they don't want to have to lug the cages back with them.
That would be great but not sure I could fit a cage in my car I would need my sons truck & he will be working that day.
I will keep that in mind I didn't think of that. The Bird Mart is only 1 day from 9 to 3. My son works until 6:30 that day.
But thanks for that suggestion. Maybe the cage would still be in the box then it would fit in my car.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
When new cages are shipped they are in flat pack boxes so if you get a new in box one as long as you have a pass-through and can lay the back seats flat most cages will fit in a smallish car. If fully assemble yes you'll need a open pickup or a normal van of some sort unless you break it back down before taking and loading it. I have a full sized 3/4 ton Dodge van here but unfortunately can't afford to tag and insure it right now so last large thing I bought on Craig's list I took the guys offer to deliver it for 10 bucks extra to cover the gas.

Last edited:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I could be wrong but I thought that type of cage is more suitable for a Senegal/poi/conure (not a Hahns or mini macaw). Just FYI.
Maybe I'm wrong!

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I could be wrong but I thought that type of cage is more suitable for a Senegal/poi/conure (not a Hahns or mini macaw). Just FYI.
Maybe I'm wrong!
That is the size cage I was told to get. Also I have a friend in our local bird club that has this same cage for an Eclectus that is a lot bigger than a Hahns.
This cage is way big enough for a Hahns. Hahns are only a little bigger than a sun conure. My sun is in a smaller cage.
I'm not even sure I am getting a Hahns I will fine out tomorrow at the expo. May change my mind.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hahn's are li
Maybe I'm wrong!
It looks like a good size for a Hahn's imo (32x24). They are in the same size range as conures and Senegals.
There's a good amount of size variation between mini macaw species. It would be on the small side for a large mini like a Severe but Hahn's are really tiny.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hahns have about a 20" wingspan, so a cage that is 32x24 is just fine - 1.5x wider than the wings in length, and wider than the wings deep. Mine had the same size and it was perfect for her as long as she didn't have to be in it all day!

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Hahn's are li

It looks like a good size for a Hahn's imo (32x24). They are in the same size range as conures and Senegals.
There's a good amount of size variation between mini macaw species. It would be on the small side for a large mini like a Severe but Hahn's are really tiny.
Thank you :)