• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is a good cage?

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
I am looking for suggestions for a new cage.
I am hoping to get a new bird & would like to have the cage all ready purchased.
Looking into Medium size birds so at least 24x24 in. cage with a playtop or top that opens.
Must have a good latch on the door.
I have been looking at A&E and HQ cages but if someone knows of a better cage please let me know.
What Makes or Models would you suggest?

Thanks

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
What's your budget?

@alcmene has a sun conure. She probably has an idea of some good cages that would work. I'll try to tag some people XD

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What type of bird are you considering? Another conure?

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
What's your budget?

@alcmene has a sun conure. She probably has an idea of some good cages that would work. I'll try to tag some people XD
I would like to stay under $200 but more around $150. Hoping to get a Hahn's or mini Macaw. If not then maybe a senegal or meyers.

Thanks

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I honestly like the kings aluminum cages, so easy to clean, sturdy and easy to move. Love the look of them too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cages I would recommend are more than what you want to spend. For a Senegal I would have recommended an Avian Adventures Chiquita. Back in Nov. some of us were able to get them for $159 (either price error or an extra special deal??). Now they are priced at @ $250 and up.
The A&E large play top is also over $250.

Several people have and like this cage: You & Me Standing Parrot Cage | Petco Store
When I ordered the first one I received was damaged and so was the replacement so I gave up on it.
It goes on sale often for a lower price than what is currently posted.

Last edited:

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Cages I would recommend are more than what you want to spend. For a Senegal I would have recommended an Avian Adventures Chiquita. Back in Nov. some of us were able to get them for $159 (either price error or an extra special deal??). Now they are priced at @ $250 and up.
The A&E large play top is also over $250.

Several people have and like this cage: You & Me Standing Parrot Cage | Petco Store
When I ordered the first one I received was damaged and so was the replacement so I gave up on it.
It goes on sale often for a lower price than what is currently posted.
That You & Me cage is 38x38 that is to big for the area I have. I am looking for a medium cage about 24x24.
Do you have a picture of the Avian Adventures Chiquita? Never heard of that cage.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
This is one I am looking at on ebay. Can't figure out what brand it is but it is nice & a good price.

Bird Cages Large Play Top Parrot Finch Cage New Aviary Supplies | eBay
Everything I have read says 24x24 min. for a Hahns
Thank you for letting me know.
The cage you linked is only 22x24 unfortunately.

And yes they might say 24x24 minimum but I think most people will agree that minimum cage sizes are just big enough to not constitute neglect. I mean I've seen minimum cage sizes of 12x18 for budgies and other small birds and that is like making them live in a shoebox. Personally I think if your bird is going to be inside of its cage for more than a few hours you should aim for as big a cage as possible (at least enough space for plenty of toys and space to move around). Is there anyway you could fit a cage into a different (larger) space?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My GCC's cage is 32x21x35 and I wouldn't go smaller than that for a Hahns.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The problem with a minimum size cage is that it does not account for toys. Minimum size is usually 1.5 - 2 times the wing span. Hawn's macaws have a wing span of 14 inches. That gives you 21-28 inches. This should be the minimum size of the smallest dimension. So 24 x 30 or 32 or more would be much better. The flight cages people are recommending are 21x32 which also works.

Once you add toys to the cage there is much less space for the bird. It is very difficult to set up small cages, you can't spread things out enough to keep them clean, the lower layers of furnishings will get pooped on. Perches and toys will criss cross dishes and things will get messy quick and unsanitary.

It is better to go bigger on the cage or opt for a smaller bird who you can give better accommodations to.

As an example I have 21x64 inch cages for my caiques. I fill the top half with toys and leave the bottom half with perches only. They like to go down to the bottom and fly across the cage and back again, it is to narrow to make a turn but they can land and then take off again in the other direction. They really like it :)

Minimum standards are not what we should be aiming for, they are not really practical for the bird. It's much better and more fun for everyone to have more than the minimum. I don't have any specific recommendations because the ones I would refer you to have already been listed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica