• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What have I got myself into??

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Thank your for the well wishes @Lady Jane, Barry's current owner is a female and she has told me he is not too keen on men.... That is fine as there are 3 females living at my house and 1 male who is very patient and does not have issues with hurt feelings and will be willing to stay away from Barry if need be.
For what it’s worth. My U2 “Hated men” when I met him. And I was warned that when he met me. I spoke calmly to him and kept at it. He eventually warmed up to me and now he’s my little buddy, and he prefers me over my wife. So they can and will change if someone is willing to give them the patients and time to trust them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would suggest you start growing a third eye in the back of your head. Comes in very handy. Do you have band aids? You know. Just in case. :lol:

You'll be fine once the panic and anxiety settles into a dull roar. :D

Barry's current owner is a female and she has told me he is not too keen on men....
I don't believe that for a minute. Barry just hasn't met the right man.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks @BirdEE for sharing your experience, I am not going to read any horror stories......I do not think I need them going by some of my memories of interactions with 2's lol. I have had all sorts of pets in the past where I have been told they do not like something but I have found it all has to with set relationships animals have with their people and they are often so different with someone new so I will only use information about Barry as a guide rather than take it as definite final. Not sure how my nerves would be with a U2, they seem more full throttle than the other too's I have seen, you guys with U2's would have to be a tough bunch with no fears I think.

@Love My Zons, I will most certainly come here screaming for help from all you guys if I find myself in a spot, hehe do you really think I am in need of an enabler???? :lol:

@JLcribber, I have bandages and bandaids......even the spray on bandaids! I will need them because I am bound to stuff up with something and get myself in trouble at least a few times :hehe:
I also believe my son will have no problems with Barry, he is understanding and patient, not pushy, respectful of animals cues to be left alone, stands his ground if need be but is also more than happy to walk away from any trouble, he has nothing to prove and no need to win anything or anyone over so he will take Barry if Barry likes and he will walk away if that is what Barry indicates he would like. I have not seen him have an issue with an apparent man hating animal yet. Time will tell I guess. They said the same thing about the cockatoo my grandfather rescued, he was told the bird would not like him and would try to attack him but within less than a day the bird had chosen my grandfather as his person.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do love their little faces, they look so cartoon like and mischievous. They always seem so confident in themselves the SC2's. That would be a fun thing to encounter while holidaying.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will certainly get as much information as I can on Barry and also ask if I can keep in contact with the lady in case there is anything else I need to find out in the future.
That sounds perfect to me. I think the most important thing is to know the things that upset them and make them angry to avoid a bad start.
And I also wish you all the luck and sorry that I forget to say so earlier.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't believe that for a minute. Barry just hasn't met the right man.
I agree with you.

I am not going to read any horror stories......
I like that. Why expecting the worse before it happens?
I believe that many bad manners and aggressive behavoiur is created by you because you expect them to react in that way.

Always be calm and stay as neutral as you can but like John say, have that third eye to watch up for their body language.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I agree with you.

I like that. Why expecting the worse before it happens?
I believe that many bad manners and aggressive behavoiur is created by you because you expect them to react in that way.

Always be calm and stay as neutral as you can but like John say, have that third eye to watch up for their body language.
Being calm is key, at least for mine. He can go full throttle sqauking because something that was important to him didn’t go as he intended or scared him (some of which there’s no apparent reason for the outburst haha). If I look at him and talk to him calmly and tell him everything is okay, he will settle right down. He doesn’t go full throttle often, but he did last night. He was on my arm and then all of the sudden flipped crest up and started squak screaming in my ear. I said very calmly, “What’s so scary? It’ll be okay”. I’d be lying if it’s not incredibly loud in my ear though. He then looks at me and calms right down after a couple more squaks.

That’s what seems to work for him at this point. If it will in the future or not is to be determined.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
That sounds perfect to me. I think the most important thing is to know the things that upset them and make them angry to avoid a bad start.
And I also wish you all the luck and sorry that I forget to say so earlier.
I agree, that's why i am starting a journal. in case these thing happen . So much easier transitioning for bird and human.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I have a medium sulfur crested and I just love her. She's 28 now. They LOVE singing and dancing. I recommend you do some of both when you meet - anyone who sings and dances with mine (Beaker) is a fast friend. They can be quite the little comedians too. I don't have any male experience, but I imagine they can be as volatile has any male cockatoo with the right triggers. But if he's at all like mine, you'll love him. I can't wait to hear about him!!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What wonderful and exciting news! I can't wait to hear all about him after you get him home, and see photos and hear how he's doing.
Grandfathers' bird sounded scary around those toes, oh my!

I think I would wait until after the move to see what you need in the way of an aviary rather than revamping the carport currently. How long til the move?

SO excited for you!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so appreciative of all the input from all of you, thank you all so much :) I am not sure how long till I move @Fergus Mom , I am hoping it will be within the next six months (have to sell our house and then buy the new one....auction this weekend so fingers crossed) which is why I am thinking I may have to make a temporary aviary for Barry. I would rather not relocate him to this house then have to have him move again so soon as I think that would be very stressful and hard on him but it may be what I have to do unfortunately.

@Eloy, I also think knowing what annoys them is a good thing to know because the last thing I wish to do is upset a cocky.....I really do not want to feel how well that beak works :lol:

I will most definitely be working on staying calm and keeping my excitement in check so I can think as clearly as I can, I will need all the concentration I have to be focused on reading the body language that I find so hard to pick up on till it is too late. Thanks for the reminder @BirdEE :)

@Just-passn-thru, I just wanted to jump in the car on the day I found out about Barry and just go get him, I really had to settle myself down and work out how I would manage it all to work out the best way for Barry and of course for Burt. I had to remind myself that there were preparations to be taken care of before I dragged Barry home. After I thought about the whole thing I realized I would have happily gone and got him then had nowhere to put him so he could be comfortable :banghead:, I am so glad I managed to think like a logical person for enough time to stop me putting Barry and I in a silly position:hehe: I am also hoping to be organised enough to make a little journal for both Burt and Barry and keep it up to date just in case anything should happen to me, I know the kids (adults now) know everything they need to do for Burt but bringing another large bird into my life will mean I must be much more prepared to cater for their care needs in the event of an emergency.

@Fia Baby I know exactly what you mean about the singing and dancing, I do not know of anyone who has a cocky that does not like to sing and dance....I wonder why they seem to enjoy it so much more than many other species of bird. I was a little concerned about the whole wanting to be with me all the time (simply because I do not know how I will work that out and still keep Barry and Burt at a distance) but from what I have been told Barry does enjoy his time alone too so I may just be lucky enough to not have a velcro cocky who needs me close all the time. Fingers crossed with this one. I can not wait to go and meet him for the first time, hopefully we will have time this weekend after the house auction.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Would LOVE some photos! (hint hint)! :D
Yes @Lodah I hear you!! Lol I managed to post two (not so good shots) on my other thread about black spots on B&G's. I will go do my chores for the day then try to get some good pics of Burt to post :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cassie would dance to certain songs...The Oak Ridge Boys "Elvira" and Elvis's "Viva Las Vegas" were her faves. :)

Milton's dancing comes about when he's watching "The Price Is Right"...naturally...:D

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
When I got mine, years ago, one of the reasons I picked a sulfur crested 'too rather than a U2 or M2 is that they're more independent. Mine likes to be with us, but she really enjoys ambient attention. She doesn't need to be on us, she doesn't need to be constantly touched. Really, my green wing is much more demanding of attention.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fairy2: Is he home yet? ;)

...how about now? is he home now? :p (We're just excited for your 'too, too! :dance4: )