• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What have I got myself into??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I will be going to meet Barry and his human tomorrow, I am so excited to finally see him and find out some more information about him.
I will get as many pics as I can to share while trying to gather as much background on him as possible.
Fingers crossed he likes me so I don’t gave to win him over. Lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How exciting! :fairy2: This trip will be so worth it. Finally meeting them and learning about Barry. It's the unknowns that make you nervous so hopefully tomorrow will put your mind at ease a little. :) Also meeting you will make Barry's transition a little smoother for him too, since you won't be a total stranger when he comes to live with you.

What's his favorite food? You could bring some to drop in his bowl. Birdie bribes never hurt. :ashamed3:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I will be going to meet Barry and his human tomorrow, I am so excited to finally see him and find out some more information about him.
I will get as many pics as I can to share while trying to gather as much background on him as possible.

EXCITING!!! I can't wait to see the photos, and hear how it went.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When we went to meet the gray we thought we were adopting I took tons of pics. I'd heard that grays can be very particular about any changes so I took pretty detailed pics of her cage, the toys & perches and how they were positioned. Then I went home and ordered the same ones in the same colors so I could set up her new cage the same way. I even took pics of the foods they were feeding her (the packages and the food in the bowls so I could try to present it the same way) rather than take notes. I was afraid I'd forget to jot something important down. I think I got maybe 3 pics of hubby with the gray and probably 20 of the set up and foods. :laugh: At first I was worried the owner was going to think I was crazy, but when I told her why I was taking so many, she actually held up the packages for me and pointed out things she felt were important that I might have missed otherwise!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I will take as many notes as I can as it will be easier for Barry’s mum to tell me about him than for her to write it down. She has had surgery on her brain and has lost some of her ability to function easily so I will write information down as she tells me things. She also struggles with long sentences so I don’t want to stress her out or make her feel frustrated, we will take our time and also stay in contact after he moves with me.
I can visit as often as I like so now that I have more of an idea of when we are moving I will start making more of an effort to visit more frequently so Barry and I are comfortable with each other.
I was thinking of taking some toys, gum nuts and pine cones as well as a packet of treats like nuts and fresh chilies and fruit from our garden. I will make a little hamper to take with me for Barry.
I had some interactions with a cocky the other day when I took myself off to a bird and sculpture place for my birthday. I was a little intimidated to start with but soon felt rather comfortable interacting with him. I don’t even know why they make me a little nervous considering Burt’s beak is three times bigger than a cockatoos beak....I think it could be the confidence and cheekiness that most 2’s I’ve met seem to have and the fact that I have misread body language in the past. I’ve never been hurt by one but I think that could be because I have usually kept my distance. Lol.
I am very excited to finally meet them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope everything goes well tomorrow and I can’t wait to see pictures of him!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great! :giveme5:
Just watch so he isn't get angry at the camera/mobile.
It will be fine. :) Just relax, no eye contact and let him come to you. And if he ignores you, play with a toy to get his attention.
I was thinking of taking some toys, gum nuts and pine cones as well as a packet of treats like nuts and fresh chilies and fruit from our garden.
I love that! ♥
I am very excited to finally meet them.
Have a nice day! :) :goodluck:

I was afraid I'd forget to jot something important down. I think I got maybe 3 pics of hubby with the gray and probably 20 of the set up and foods.
I did the same before getting my Brown headed Poi and my last budgie home. :) (both rescues and comes with their cages)
In a brand new home they will have something that they will recognize as their own. I think that is important. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you all for your comments and helpful suggestions.
I met Barry today and he liked me on and off during the visit depending on where his mum was and how interested in him I was lol. He did try to intimidate me by lunging at me with his little beak at the ready, he is a bit cute.
I didn’t get many photos as it was upsetting him but I did get a couple that I will post once I have decent phone reception.
He took to the big toy I made him straight away and chewed massive chunks off it without waiting for it to be hung properly, he accepted most of the treats I gave him and ate about half of them.
I will certainly have to make regular trips to visit with him as I can see he is stressed when I get too close, I want him to be familiar enough with me that he is not terrified of me. It may take some time for him to comfortably settle in with my family given that he nearly screamed the whole of Bendigo down because he saw my son about 20 feet away from him.
Omg, Burt has nothing on Barry’s screaming ability!!! Such a different tone to what I am used to lol.
Will post more once home.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sounds like it went pretty well. :) At least you're the treat and toy lady now! Definitely good things to build on. :tup:

Too bad about him screaming when he saw your son. I forgot he doesn't like men. :unsure1:

Omg, Burt has nothing on Barry’s screaming ability!!! Such a different tone to what I am used to lol.
Isn't that the truth? It's funny what we get used to. We had a tiny little brotogeris for about a week & that little guy could nearly make your ears bleed :confused: but we don't even flinch anymore when Buzzard gives a yell. I always wonder if a macaw would have seemed loud in comparison if we'd gotten used to the other bird first. :shrug3:

What all did his mum have to say?

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well I am finally home and now have a lot to think about.
Barry’s mum was happy at how well I was received by Barry.
He was basically rescued by her nearly 20 years ago. He was originally owned by a 6 year old girl and they loved each other very much, she got him from a tiny baby (not sure if the complete story but I believe she may have saved him)...... the little girl asked Barry’s current mum to take him (they were neighbors) because the young girls father wanted to kill Barry because the little girl spent too much time with Barry.
He has never flown to anyone’s knowledge and has lived most of his life where he is now. I believe his diet is mainly seed and nut but he does have some fresh foods too but I am not sure how much.
Barry tried to bite me through the cage after trying to convince me he wanted a scratch, I was very careful and gave him a quick tickle but stopped a split second before he tried to turn his head to nip me......cheeky bugger lol. He did do the same thing to his person but once he grabbed her arm he did not continue to actually bite, it was more like he was showing off.
Still a little intimidated by him but fingers crossed that will change as I become more familiar with him and his personal quirks.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:laugh: I love that first pic. I'm glad his mum approves and despite his attempted sneak attack (cheeky), I think Barry also approves of you. :pinksmile:

How sad about that little girl. I hope she grew still loving birds. And who knows how awful her dad may have been to Barry. Sounds like he probably learned not to trust men at a very early age. :(

I know he can't go near the aviary anytime soon, but I wonder if there's a certain distance away your son could sit while you give Barry treats, eventually moving your son closer. It will probably take months at least to close, but as long as he doesn't have to sound the alarm when he sees him. It sure would be easier if you knew what he's been through.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My hope is that if I get my son to drop favourite treats in Barry’s bowl regularly without looking directly at him or acknowledging him he will start to associate my son with good things. I hope this will work and at least get to the stage where he won’t feel the need to scream like someone is murdering him when he sees my son.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I can well imagine you do have a lot to think about with this @Shezbug - And I so admire folks who have the self control and patience to think of all aspects of the welfare of pets AND people prior to jumping off a cliff... if you get my drift. <wink>

What a beautiful guy he is, and I'm so glad he ate half of his gift treats, wow! I think as you say the key with your son will be moving slowly and not rushing Barry, respecting his space.

What a heartbreaking story about the little girl who had Barry originally. I cannot imagine the pain in her heart to have to give up such a wonderful, companion that she was so close to. Makes me want to shake the father in that situation and ask him what the hell he was thinking.

Sending hugs to ya'll over there!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He’s beautiful!:heart: That just breaks my heart about the girl having to give up Barry because of her dad.:(I hope everything works out, and he learns to trust you and your family.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's really a handsome one! It's a story that's troublesome. I feel terrible for the girl & Barry but I'm glad Barry got to live in a loving home after the girl. So many, as we all know land into the worst situations.

Shezbug, Thank you for trying in this situation. I hope you can take each other on, so hopefully Barry can land on his feet again!

:bighug: