• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We must collar Milton...

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Photo Editor-20181223_211426.jpg This M2 has plucked her feathers so badly that new feathers aren't coming in properly any more. So she wears her poncho all the time now and has no problem with it. I make the ponchos and sent them to a rescue in Pennsylvania. So every few weeks she gets a new clean poncho. I think she looks pretty cute!!!

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just an update...Milton has stopped his latest assault on his feathers...and there are new feather buds coming in. I'm happy for that, but we're still watching him closely...

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Lesson I learned was some birds are programmed to seek the highest perch at night. In the wild, that's what they actually do. It s an instinct that protects them from preditors, and it's never fully dark in the wild, you have moon light....so night light takes its place
Being new to parrots, I had actually questioned why, a person from a different forum, said she put blinds up in all her windows, heavy curtains, and then blankets over all her bird cages, made the house silent and this was to be more natural to their wild life. I lived in the country, and as I recall, the moon and stars were out there too, but she insisted she studied parrots for years in the wild in south america. So I dropped it, but I have not put blankets over my bird cages, and now we do live in town and there is more light in the home. So then when our, new to us, B&G 29 yo became hormonal and laid an egg, despite us making the house dark and quiet by 630 pm, I initially felt we were failing her and questioned if we needed to blanket her cage. We then determined that this was the first time in her life that she had been this healthy and independent. So it is with happiness that we find someone else that feels it is not always necessary to keep a bird in complete darkness. I will listen to anyone's reasoning, and this makes sense to me, but like all situations, there are situations, and everything needs to be looked at on an individual basis. So far we have not had a problem with plucking, but that is not because we are the best parents, in our case, it is because we have birds that just didn't pick it up in their past homes or here. Our G2 and B&G had plenty of reason to pluck and be severely depressed, but somehow, did not take up plucking.

sherri

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Being new to parrots, I had actually questioned why, a person from a different forum, said she put blinds up in all her windows, heavy curtains, and then blankets over all her bird cages, made the house silent and this was to be more natural to their wild life. I lived in the country, and as I recall, the moon and stars were out there too, but she insisted she studied parrots for years in the wild in south america. So I dropped it, but I have not put blankets over my bird cages, and now we do live in town and there is more light in the home. So then when our, new to us, B&G 29 yo became hormonal and laid an egg, despite us making the house dark and quiet by 630 pm, I initially felt we were failing her and questioned if we needed to blanket her cage. We then determined that this was the first time in her life that she had been this healthy and independent. So it is with happiness that we find someone else that feels it is not always necessary to keep a bird in complete darkness. I will listen to anyone's reasoning, and this makes sense to me, but like all situations, there are situations, and everything needs to be looked at on an individual basis. So far we have not had a problem with plucking, but that is not because we are the best parents, in our case, it is because we have birds that just didn't pick it up in their past homes or here. Our G2 and B&G had plenty of reason to pluck and be severely depressed, but somehow, did not take up plucking.

sherri
Location is main reason some people need to regulate light. Most parrots are from equatorial regions of the world. They get nearly 12 hours or daylight followed by 12 hours of night. This will be consistent all year. If you live in Canada, Denmark or the Northern US, etc the lighting conditions will not be the same. You will get very very long days in the summer and very short days in the winter.. this is not a normal factor for wild parrots. I am glad your bird is healthy and happy, but it is important to understand why some people are careful about regulating their birds' light conditions. Laying behaviour can be risky for hens, some birds can become eggbound which can be fatal. Owners are only looking out for the best interest of their birds.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Just an update...Milton has stopped his latest assault on his feathers...and there are new feather buds coming in. I'm happy for that, but we're still watching him closely...
Yay Milton! You can do it buddy! :starshower1::starshower:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@SherLar ...the sleep cycle and lighting for Milton have really never been an issue for him...he's a steady 12 covered and 12 hour not kind of bird. He gets cranky immediately if he's uncovered more than 12 hours...he starts coughing and wheezing like an old man with breathing problems...sounds he learned from his first person.
like all situations, there are situations, and everything needs to be looked at on an individual basis.
...very true...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm so happy to hear about the progress of Milton's feathers!
...the thing is that Milty has this annoying thing of letting the feathers start to unfurl...then plucking them out...so, like I said we'll watch him closely. The herbals are arriving tomorrow, so we'll be introducing them soon...

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
...the thing is that Milty has this annoying thing of letting the feathers start to unfurl...then plucking them out...so, like I said we'll watch him closely. The herbals are arriving tomorrow, so we'll be introducing them soon...
I hope the herbals can help him, that's really difficult when they do things like that, it can make it scary to be hopeful. Here's hoping that this feather growth stays!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...oh yes, forgot to mention...Milty has gotten used to seeing...and interacting with the ponchos @EkkieLu made for him. :) He actually hides underneath it and pops out and yells "PEEKBOO"...

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Natalie, it appears I struck a nerve with you. It was not intended. Please accept my apologizes. I was not trying to say that light-dark sleep patterns were not important. And I was also not saying that people should not cover their cages, I was merely trying to say that I thought each situation needed to be looked at as an individual situation and I appreciated other people's opinions.

sherri

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Natalie, it appears I struck a nerve with you. It was not intended. Please accept my apologizes. I was not trying to say that light-dark sleep patterns were not important. And I was also not saying that people should not cover their cages, I was merely trying to say that I thought each situation needed to be looked at as an individual situation and I appreciated other people's opinions.

sherri
I didn't try and construct a response in an offensive way. I am sorry you felt a need to apologise. My nerves are resilient and sound. Most messages that I write are for the audience. You have your own pattern down with your birds. All good. Someone else might come upon this post looking for help with their bird.

I explained the reason for sleep patterns. This is a public forum, people are here for information. There are countless eyes that read over this stuff that are not members of the group. I want to help any other panicked bird owner out the best I can. Imagine you were panicked about something with your bird and you were googling stuff on bird plucking. You might get led here.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Location is main reason some people need to regulate light. Most parrots are from equatorial regions of the world. They get nearly 12 hours or daylight followed by 12 hours of night. This will be consistent all year. If you live in Canada, Denmark or the Northern US, etc the lighting conditions will not be the same. You will get very very long days in the summer and very short days in the winter.. this is not a normal factor for wild parrots. I am glad your bird is healthy and happy, but it is important to understand why some people are careful about regulating their birds' light conditions. Laying behaviour can be risky for hens, some birds can become eggbound which can be fatal. Owners are only looking out for the best interest of their birds.
You have a very valid point! The amount of day light. And location. And your right, it isn't a normal factor in the wild...though parrots can adapt, and do in many cases, it's not the same. That's why it's important to adjust lighting to seasons if you can, yes I know it's not easy.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
And I agree with that, thus I also wrote in that same paragraph, that we have our home dark and quiet by 630 pm. But I still feel it is important to listen to other people's advice and reasoning.. Thus the reason for that first post.
Hope everyone has a wonderful evening, I am off to reading other things.
sherri

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
...oh yes, forgot to mention...Milty has gotten used to seeing...and interacting with the ponchos @EkkieLu made for him. :) He actually hides underneath it and pops out and yells "PEEKBOO"...
That is great! I'm so happy he's not frightened of them. At least now if you ever need to have Milton wear them he'll just think it's a really long game of Peekaboo!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@cassiesdad There is one thing I noticed with my female crimson "Ruby". She is a plucker as well which began when there was a bug crawling in her tray and it scared her terribly. In the south, we have these wonderful giant "palmetto bugs''. I was up late and heard her scuttling under her paper, so much so, I went in to investigate. When I pulled her tray out I saw the culprit and got rid of it. I have always changed my papers late to make sure there was nothing that would attract any kind of insect.... and I wipe the floors too. This event was the onset of her plucking her back and legs. It's been at least four years since that incidence yet she will still pluck the new growth. Her back has feathers now but she still plucks under her wings and on occasion her legs. She does this during the night as I never actually see her do it. The one thing I have seen her do is pluck feathers from Casey when I used to let them socialize together outside of their respective cages in the evening while I'm cleaning. I would stop her and split them up to keep her from doing any more for a while. Subsequently... every time I would allow visits so she could get some preening from him ( she won't let me touch her pin feathers on her head) she would be good with him for a bit and then I would look and see her chewing on a feather she had just plucked from him ( he would object to the pluck). Watch for a minute and see her do it again. I didn't let her sit with him for quite a while and it's rare I let them sit together. He spends time with her sister and I have also seen Scarlette pull from Casey but she goes for the down and not the feathers.. what's with these girls! The reason for this mention is this : When Ruby pulled the new growth from Casey she would almost savor chewing on the new shaft. Without googling this... there's a fluid of sorts within the new shaft she seems to enjoy. Could this be the case with all pluckers or at least some? The substance in the new growth becomes addictive thus encouraging the plucking to some degree? Have you ever observed Milty plucking and does he do the same thing with the new growth he plucks. When I pull Ruby's paper out to change in the evenings I will see a few or two new growth feathers on the paper and they'll be stuck to the paper because of that fluid.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is what I found. I thought there would be some other fluid inside the new growth of the sheath but according to a couple of sites I read it says the new growth has a blood supply and once the feather is complete the blood supply to that feather stops. So, maybe Ruby is indeed a vampire that has a taste for the blood from the new growth! Though more seriously.... I do think they can acquire a taste for it and become addicted to plucking. Best guess I can come up with for now..

What is a blood or pin feather?
When a feather is pulled out or falls out during a normal moult, a new feather is stimulated to start growing right away. As the new feather (pin or blood feather) emerges from the skins feather follicle, it looks like a spike, quill or much like the feather shaft itself. This new feather has a blood supply flowing through it and is encased by a keratin coating or feather sheath. The base, where the feather is developing and being nourished by blood, is a dark blue color. On smaller feathers such as those around the head, the base may be a red or pink color. Pin feathers are sensitive, and birds may not enjoy being handled while moulting.

As the feather continues to grow, the tip will mature first. The bird will gradually preen off the keratin feather sheath from the maturing feather tip and the newly formed feather will emerge. Some birds love to have a "preening buddy" (perhaps you or another bird) gently roll the tip of the feather as it matures, to help remove the sheath from the mature part of the feather. Once a feather is fully-grown, the blood supply is lost and the feather is simply a dead unit in the skin.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When Ruby pulled the new growth from Casey she would almost savor chewing on the new shaft. Without googling this... there's a fluid of sorts within the new shaft she seems to enjoy. Could this be the case with all pluckers or at least some? The substance in the new growth becomes addictive thus encouraging the plucking to some degree?
Luv Bug still pulls out a pin feather every now and then. She's never been a full-fledged plucker but we think she used to pluck feathers to ant them when she ran out of food to ant as there were no toys in her cage. But I have noticed that when she does pull one there's usually not much red blood, mostly plasma, but she does nibble on that end. She'll also chew the shafts of any shed feathers, hers or the others', even though they're dry. Could be that the same stuff is dried inside? :chin:

That said, if a particular bird's plucking were the result of some kind of craving, I would think it might be possible to quell the urge with herbs or supplements. I really hope they work for Milton. :angel1:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Luv Bug still pulls out a pin feather every now and then. She's never been a full-fledged plucker but we think she used to pluck feathers to ant them when she ran out of food to ant as there were no toys in her cage. But I have noticed that when she does pull one there's usually not much red blood, mostly plasma, but she does nibble on that end.
Echo does the same things :shrug: He likes chewing plasma too. It's odd. To look at him you wouldn't think of him as a plucker but he does occasionally. It's always the same type of feather or same stage of growth of the feather. Ones with a bit of blood and plasma