• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We must collar Milton...

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes, this does make sense. :)A hung ring perch is an interesting idea, although it would be a physically difficult thing here, as Milty's cage really only clears the ceiling by about a foot to 18 inches...but we'll consider doing something like it...thanks for an unusual solution that I never would have thought of...:)
Yea ceiling heights vary, mine is 12 foot thru out house... so, hang it from ceiling behind cage so that they can step from it at the top of cage across to it... and have a night light....little 4 watt light should do...
you'll see the difference... You see he may pluck out of stress, being awake all night with one eye open watching for preditors in dark.... once they feel safe and can get a good night sleep, he'll stop plucking.
My Zon is afraid of the dark as well.... if you put her in cage and cover she will do sommersaults in cage all night... stressed to max!! now she sleeps on top of her cage with night light and is a happy camper.
My Mitchell hated the dark as well....my grey is not fond of it either. but all sleep peacefully this way now. And None of them Pluck.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I second that! That's awesome! :rofl: I love how he's also giving it the look! Haha!
Milton has laid siege to the offending thing...he actually holds it while he chews on it so it can't swing about...smart sucker...;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Milty's cage really only clears the ceiling by about a foot to 18 inches.

Just raise the whole cage up 18" so everything gets higher up.

All the birds here choose their own sleeping spot. Every single one of them gets as close to the ceiling as they can. :)

Does Milty have any of these?

preentoy1.jpg preentoy2.JPG

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

All the birds here choose their own sleeping spot. Every single one of them gets as close to the ceiling as they can. :)

View attachment 299397 View attachment 299398
That's the key to stopping the plucking, let them choose their sleeping spot, the higher the better, a little night light no brighter than 4 watts, and never cover them in pitch dark.
The cone should really be absolute last resort, and guarantee they'll regret putting a cone on the bird.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

View attachment 299397 View attachment 299398
I like these John, did you make these? I saw instructions on pinterest on how to make the round one but....I think I would prefer to buy one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I like these John, did you make these? I saw instructions on pinterest on how to make the round one but....I think I would prefer to buy one.
I bought them way back when. Don't ask me where. Somewhere online.

Easiest way to what you want is to google "large parrot preening toys" and then go to images.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
let them choose their sleeping spot, the higher the better
Milton sleeps in the back of his cage, at the top.
a little night light no brighter than 4 watts,
...yes, there's a night light in the room...;)
The cone should really be absolute last resort, and guarantee they'll regret putting a cone on the bird.
...yes, I definitely understand that...it would be a very sad day in Milty's...and our life...but I've done everything else I can think of...my fear is that he'll move on to mutilating himself...

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Milton sleeps in the back of his cage, at the top.

...yes, there's a night light in the room...;)

...yes, I definitely understand that...it would be a very sad day in Milty's...and our life...but I've done everything else I can think of...my fear is that he'll move on to mutilating himself...
Hmmm, my opinion is that somewhere thru out day there is stress factors and when it's a?'ll built up, then it's plucking time. A way to vent the stress. Might have to take a closer look...being that too's are a rather dusty bird, more frequent bathing is required or they get irritated.
Sometimes believe it or not, issues with water in bathing itself can cause issues. (IE; hard water, chlorine, salt content from water softners. ) birds can develop a sensitivity issue to water where it makes them itchy.
Take a complete look at the entire diet spectrum. Some bird foods out there are washed, before selling...what they wash it in can be questioned. Dyes used in many bird foods as well tend to affect skin of parrots.
Point is Milton is plucking for a reason, you have to find the root of the issue. Putting a come on Milton is like having a mosquito bite you can't itch....it will drive him insane.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Putting a come on Milton is like having a mosquito bite you can't itch....it will drive him insane.
That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, many members have successfully used collars and similar methods on their birds without inducing insanity. :yes1:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, many members have successfully used collars and similar methods on their birds without inducing insanity. :yes1:
Totally agree.

I know Milton will not like being collared...that is why I've tried EVERYTHING so that won't be the outcome...and why I'm still trying to look for solutions short of collaring.

I can't...and won't.. sit by anymore hoping that Milton will stop pulling his feathers. I've talked with our AV for hours the last couple of weeks about the reasons why Milty has escalated the situation...we've discussed food allergies, too many showers, too few showers, etc, etc, etc.

I'm going to figure out a way to give Milty a "higher-up" place to perch..and I'm ordering some herbal remedies on the internet...so we're still in there pitching...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

For the bird or the human? I was going to suggest something like a sock sweater or something similar - like the things Princes Ella wore.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok using the word insanity was an over kill, sorry.
But truth is, the cone can work sometimes, and to a point. No guarantee it won't revert back to plucking. He'll associate getting the cone with plucking his feathers. What was the long term prognosis of members using cones??? 2 years 3 years down line? I'm curious.
It really boils down getting to the root of problem. That is the why factor!?!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Totally agree.

I know Milton will not like being collared...that is why I've tried EVERYTHING so that won't be the outcome...and why I'm still trying to look for solutions short of collaring.

I can't...and won't.. sit by anymore hoping that Milton will stop pulling his feathers. I've talked with our AV for hours the last couple of weeks about the reasons why Milty has escalated the situation...we've discussed food allergies, too many showers, too few showers, etc, etc, etc.

I'm going to figure out a way to give Milty a "higher-up" place to perch..and I'm ordering some herbal remedies on the internet...so we're still in there pitching...
I can understand your frustration. I'm not against using the cone, pre se. But it would be a last resort. I broke my 'too with out use of cone. Poor guy looked like a plucked chicken. 2 years before he got all his feathers back...and of course really looking at the world thru his eyes, lower my self to his level to get to the root of problem. Never had to use the cone, had one, but he went mental ape crazy when I got it out. Like he seen one before or used one before. Either or, I wasn't putting him thru the cone acting like that.
Also I always get second opinions, what one avian vet say, another avian vet will say and contradict it. My first so called certified avian vet never owned a parrot, is allergic to them. Suggested I clip all my birds, take their claws down to practically nothing, and round off their beaks a 1/8 inch so it's not pointed. So I switched AV's....the new AV is like what the he11 when I told him what the other AT said. Point is always get second opinions. The new A/V has several parrots and owns an avian parrot store as well.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have to ask Bob, has your city changed their street lights from sodium type lights to LED lights since Milton started picking/ plucking?
LED lights are so much brighter at night then old sodium bulbs. Nicky noticed a difference in Fast Freddie's behavior shortly after his landlord changed all the lights to LED lights.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have to ask Bob, has your city changed their street lights from sodium type lights to LED lights since Milton started picking/ plucking?
...no change in lighting...thank you for asking...:)

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Also I always get second opinions, what one avian vet say, another avian vet will say and contradict it. My first so called certified avian vet never owned a parrot, is allergic to them. Suggested I clip all my birds, take their claws down to practically nothing, and round off their beaks a 1/8 inch so it's not pointed. So I switched AV's....the new AV is like what the he11 when I told him what the other AT said. Point is always get second opinions. The new A/V has several parrots and owns an avian parrot store as well.
I trust my AV COMPLETELY...she knows and cares about avians...she is one of only 12 AVs in the country with advanced certifications. She also consults regularly with others in the field. I know this because she's consulted with AVs in Ohio and Illinois on Milton's situation. Like I said before, she's called my almost every day for the last two weeks to talk about Milty.

I'm sorry that you've had trouble with the vets you consult...I don't mind people coming up with questions and suggestions about Milton and his situation, but I'll have no disparagement of the treatment that my AV has given my birds...

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I trust my AV COMPLETELY...she knows and cares about avians...she is one of only 12 AVs in the country with advanced certifications. She also consults regularly with others in the field. I know this because she's consulted with AVs in Ohio and Illinois on Milton's situation. Like I said before, she's called my almost every day for the last two weeks to talk about Milty.

I'm sorry that you've had trouble with the vets you consult...I don't mind people coming up with questions and suggestions about Milton and his situation, but I'll have no disparagement of the treatment that my AV has given my birds...

You have a good AV then, just saying, there are a lot out there that claim to be, yet have no clue. The re are very good ones out there, mine now is excellent. Knows their stuff. University of Michigan licensed.
Your frustrated I know, just trying to help. You mention herbal remedies, what exactly are you getting if you don't mind me asking.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The collars from @EkkieLuv arrived today. We let Milton see them and have decided to get him used to them (they're big floppy circles of material) the same way he gets used to new toys ...a little at a time.

Anyway...we took a circle out...and Milton came over. He was naturally wary of it. I began to touch the circle and move it around. After five or so minutes, he came over and touched the circle with his foot...then backed away.
Curiosity did win over eventually...and Milty actually picked up the edge of the circle and looked underneath it. I ended the session then...we'll increase the time he interacts with the circle until he gets comfortable with it.

He has lessened up barbering/pulling/picking of his feathers at this time...we did order some teas from a company recommended here in this thread, after we talked to our AV about them...I won't disclose what they are, because I obviously don't know how they'll work...