• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We must collar Milton...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We've decided that Milton must have some type of collar...his plucking is getting worse. He's starting on his back, and his feathers are now gone on his legs. :(

Asking all you about places who create collars...I'd appreciate any recommendations you have...thanks from Milton and his humans...

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We've decided that Milton must have some type of collar...his plucking is getting worse. He's starting on his back, and his feathers are now gone on his legs. :(

Asking all you about places who create collars...I'd appreciate any recommendations you have...thanks from Milton and his humans...
A tad sad... but it’s for the best! :(

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry! I know you were dreading this possibility. :(

Hopefully Milty takes to his collar in stride, and everything turns out for the better. Great big hugs!! :bluhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I was really hoping he would stop. I saw somewhere on line a place that made cute petal collars but I'm not sure if they are just for little birds or not.

I found it- they have them for big birds too. Protective Parrot Petals by Pam - Home | Facebook

Last edited:

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

I am hoping that we have my lovebirds feather picking under control, but it is too soon to tell. We had someone look after him for a couple of days and there was feather growth when we picked him up. They saw us petting him and we were petting him in all the areas you aren't supposed to causing him to be sexually frustrated. The only area that you can pet is his head.

I am not sure if this is the solution for your guy or my guy, but there has been an improvement. Mind you yesterday I think he picked quite a big feather off and when I saw him at lunch there were some feathers at the bottom of his cage. I am really hoping it is under control.

As for collars - I know we made one for our guy and he detested it. I actually think that stressed him out even more and we probably made matters worse.

Just my two cents! Best of luck!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I hope he will wear one. Collars seem to cause Doby even more anxiety than its worth. I'm not done trying but have not found the magic wand that gets rid of the habit. Once it turns into a habit...like biting ones nails...its a tough one

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So sorry

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
We use Protective Parrot Petals by Pam and avian fashions. For my U2 I also make E collars from ice cream bucket tops. :)

What's he doing Bob? Plucking the whole feather? Do you know when he does it? What tests have you ran? Have you tried DMG? Have you talked to your vet about possibly using medications?
It's okay Milton.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Try to go with something soft Bob. Anything but those hard plastic cones. Can you get away with a good sock buddy?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sadhug2:
I’m sorry Bob, and I hope you find something that works for sweet Milton.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
@cassiesdad Cotton though not a plucker she suffers from dry skin due to the loss of her head feathers. But we allow her to pick out her own “scarfs”. Since Milton is a U2 compared to a G2 I would think a larger sock would work. Cut just past the “heel” from the sock opening. He will freak out for the first 10 mins or so. You’ll be afraid he’s going to cause himself a heart attack. But if you can find or even knit a “scarf” large enough this would give him a distraction. Cotton goes through 2-3 “scarfs” a week.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Poor Milton :(

I hope you find something he will be comfortable in and that helps ❤

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Try to go with something soft Bob. Anything but those hard plastic cones. Can you get away with a good sock buddy?
Yeah with plucking I'd definitely go with something soft. I really like Protective Petals by Pam too.

I'm so sorry Bob. It's horrible to have to collar your bird :( There is all sorts of options thou. It may take some experimenting to find what works for Milton. And even if nothing works it's really ok for him to be "naked". Sometime there's no stopping them. Not ideal of course but Milty is so loved by you and your family (and here too). He has an excellent home with plenty of love, care, good food and medical care. Alot more than some parrot gets sadly.

I know it's hard, and a lot of times you are force to pick from the lesser evil of your choices. You may get it wrong at times, lord knows I did. But know you are doing right by Milton as I have no doubt that you have his best interests at heart. And you don't just love Milty but you also provide best possible care. Milton couldn't have a better home.
:hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What's he doing Bob? Plucking the whole feather?
He'll start by picking at a feather, then he chews at it...eventually the feather looks ratty and just hangs there....then he'll pull it out and go to the next one near it.
In the bald areas, new sheaths come out from time to time...Milt will let the sheath start to "come out"...then pull it out.
Do you know when he does it?
He does most of the damage at night...when we uncover him in the morning, you can see all the small pin feathers on the floor cage. The picking of established feathers can come at any time..usually when he thinks we're not looking....very sneaky.
What tests have you ran?
AV has run blood tests, skin scraping, and spectro-analysis of the plucked feathers...all the tests come up negative.

Sleep patterns remain unchanged...12 hours of sleep time every night...no food changes..no allergies noted. I thought maybe Milty was getting too many showers....3 to 4 a week. Asked AV about that...she doesn't think it's a cause of the increased plucking.
I don't remember- have you tried any of the teas with Milton?
Yes...we tried a suggestion by @rocky'smom ...tea and honey...Milt was meh to it. We've used RPO (Avicalm and a new brand since they went out of business) It's worked in the past, but now it seems to be ineffective.

He doesn't pick while we physically interact with him...but it's not possible to do that 24/7...and it's also obviously not something you should do, anyway.

Through this upsurge in picking'/barbering/ plucking, Milton remains a very happy bird...in fact there's been a marked increase in talking. He gives every indication he knows what he's doing...he attempted to pluck at a neck feather today...I told him, "Please don't do that, Bird, it's bad for your feathers"...he looked at me and replied, "I KNOW"...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Have you talked to your vet about possibly using medications?
...Yes, we've discussed meds. I really don't want to go that route...the meds would, in all probability, alter Milton's personality in radical ways. I'd only consider them if Milty would start opening wounds on his body.