• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We could possibly be rescuing a neglected grey

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Clueless she says that her girls poop scoop weekly. She's very OCD, and unfortunately her malady is now crossing over our fence line and into our very own back yard.

My husband was going to go over there last night to speak with them about all the meddling, but they weren't home. Figures.

The gray vocalizations don't bother her. Only the macaws' screeches.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I actually might know someone who'd want the grey! We were e-mailing back and forth over the weekend about his new search for a grey in need. He already has a grey and wanted to have another one to keep him company. If things go well and we're able to bring him into our fold, I'm going to see if he'd like to become his parront.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Unfortunately it's a 'no go' for us getting their grey. I'm so very sad.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Maybe in time. Does the person with declining health have someone at home who is becoming a caretaker?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What happened?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sad they wouldn't let your son take him home. :(
Hopefully something is done soon to get that poor grey somewhere safe! The SPCA might be able to do something if his care is seen as inadequate.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My son's friend went to his neighbor's house without my son, who is a master of persuasion. Set the tone of the conversation off in the wrong direction, leading to an emphatic 'no'. They might try again another time, but for now the poor thing must continue to suffer. Breaks my heart.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As I said before you may have to ransom the bird.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Keeping options open. For now, we need some time to pass before we try again.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Please contact the spca or have a friend do so...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The other option is to continue the conversation when you are ready, your son telling how much he loves the bird and asking to stop by and interact and bring treats/food/fruit/veggies. Maybe if just your son goes with that kind of offer. You may not possess the bird but you would still be rescuing it. If your son is friends with him, he may allow it esp if the owner gets company out of it too. maybe that wouldn't be threatening and would be accepted? And maybe over time the owner would part with the Grey.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Hahaha! OH, you should hear the neighbor story for today. She e-mail me to say that my dog's poop is stinking up her back yard, and wants me to scoop it up. Okay...I've lived her for 28 years, all of which I've owned dogs. Only NOW my dog poop stinks???

Back to the CAG. They don't belt out loud calls like macaws do, so she shouldn't be bothered by it. It's only my macaws that drive her nuts.
Is this the same neighbor who hates the aviary? Is that going any better?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is this the same neighbor who hates the aviary? Is that going any better?
Nope. Now she's moved on to 'stinky' poop smells from our back yard.
I recorded her yappy dogs from 10:30 p.m. to 11:45 p.m., the time they returned home. Gathering my evidence.:Ucrabby:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The other option is to continue the conversation when you are ready, your son telling how much he loves the bird and asking to stop by and interact and bring treats/food/fruit/veggies. Maybe if just your son goes with that kind of offer. You may not possess the bird but you would still be rescuing it. If your son is friends with him, he may allow it esp if the owner gets company out of it too. maybe that wouldn't be threatening and would be accepted? And maybe over time the owner would part with the Grey.
Right now they want to back off, because the guy threatened to call the police on my son's friend when he went over to ask if he would consider rehoming him.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I would back off too, sadly, but would. And on the stinky poo.... my neighbors must be going crazy. I have been on top of scooping as I have a small herd, close neighbors, and it has been so hot. There have been tons of mosquitoes..., my friend sprayed my yard with a non toxic mosquito repellent made of stale beer, mouthwash, and Epsom salt--it worked and my yard smells like a brewery....with a slight odor of poo because it is impossible to get every pile... hmmm, maybe if the neighbor on the other side used that concoction, it would distract her from your yard.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, we just dumped 4 yards of amended soil onto our front yard that smells like cow dung. So, I'm sure she's enjoying the soft, gentle breezes wafting this lovely aromatherapy over her way

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Well, we just dumped 4 yards of amended soil onto our front yard that smells like cow dung. So, I'm sure she's enjoying the soft, gentle breezes wafting this lovely aromatherapy over her way

:laughing6: she is going to love you lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Well, we just dumped 4 yards of amended soil onto our front yard that smells like cow dung.
I was going to suggest adding manure to your flower beds, but you're way ahead of me! :laughing4: And "amended soil" sounds so much more innocuous. :angel3:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was going to suggest adding manure to your flower beds, but you're way ahead of me! :laughing4: And "amended soil" sounds so much more innocuous. :angel3:
And it's perfectly legal to do so, too! :sunflower: