• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We could possibly be rescuing a neglected grey

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Several years ago, my son brought to my attention a neglected grey living nearby. The owners keep it in a rusted cage outside with very little protection from the elements. Apparently they only feed him seeds. My son mentioned that there are rat feces all around the cage, and that the owners never pay any attention to it. Unfortunately they weren't willing to part ways with him.

Fast forward to yesterday. My son tearfully brought up the ongoing sad living conditions of this neglected grey. Apparently the owner now has early onset dementia, and often forgets to feed the poor thing. The owner's neighbor is a friend of my son's, and both he and my son plan to go over there within the next few days to see if he'd relinquish the grey to my son. His plan is to rehabilitate him and then find him a loving home.

I'll keep you posted if we get him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:tmsmakesme: More than time to get the bird out of there & with the dementia it needs to be done asap.

Hope it works out :fairy2: or yes call the authorities as now it is urgent

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Cal the SPCA because the bird is at risk of dying due to his owner's dementia.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you. My son's friend is working late, so they'll try to speak with him within the next few days. If it's a 'no', then the SCPA recommendation will be our next step. Thanks @SandraK

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Poor baby. I hope you can get him away from that situation. People who are keeping birds in bad situations are often really difficult to pry the birds away from. If the bird has food, water, and basic shelter the ASPCA will not step in. It’s very frustrating. I rescued a CAG from a bad situation years ago and it took a lot of talking on my part to get the horrible people who had him to relinquish him to me. Don’t give up.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Is a CAG or TAG? We have TAGat the clinic right now, poor guy was in sorry shape, but doing alot better now. They are slowly breaking him to pellets and a good chop. Pellets are for throwing don't you know. .. LOL

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am really hoping you can help him out and get him the care and love he needs. Okay the first thing I thought was about how much your neighbor is going to love that.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am really hoping you can help him out and get him the care and love he needs. Okay the first thing I thought was about how much your neighbor is going to love that.
Hahaha! OH, you should hear the neighbor story for today. She e-mail me to say that my dog's poop is stinking up her back yard, and wants me to scoop it up. Okay...I've lived her for 28 years, all of which I've owned dogs. Only NOW my dog poop stinks???

Back to the CAG. They don't belt out loud calls like macaws do, so she shouldn't be bothered by it. It's only my macaws that drive her nuts.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Grays can be loud, but my bigger concern is the feather dust they throw off is not good for macaws.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hahaha! OH, you should hear the neighbor story for today. She e-mail me to say that my dog's poop is stinking up her back yard, and wants me to scoop it up. Okay...I've lived her for 28 years, all of which I've owned dogs. Only NOW my dog poop stinks???

Back to the CAG. They don't belt out loud calls like macaws do, so she shouldn't be bothered by it. It's only my macaws that drive her nuts.
Email her back and say: "Dog poop? Oh, that isn't dog poop, that's from the miniature pigs …. I'll make sure the kids pick it up".:gigglecow: You'll be able to see her foaming at the mouth on your computer. I am saying this jokingly of course. "Wow! I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to smell it. We haven't poop scooped in the 28 years we've been here." :angel4:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Email her back and say: "Dog poop? Oh, that isn't dog poop, that's from the miniature pigs …. I'll make sure the kids pick it up".:gigglecow: You'll be able to see her foaming at the mouth on your computer. I am saying this jokingly of course. "Wow! I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to smell it. We haven't poop scooped in the 28 years we've been here." :angel4:
I know, right? She said that the smell has been a problem, so they planted some star jasmine near our fence line, only the gophers killed several of them.
She needs to get a life. Seriously!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

I hope you keep these emails.....

Wonder if she scoops behind her dog?