• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ways to Ward off Cats? (Safely)

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
So, I have some sweet little kitty cats. All of them are indoor, so they have no hunting experience, but still could potentially hunt, like all cats. I don't want to keep them from being in the room with the birds, as it would be hard to manage and unfair to the cats, who like sleeping and playing there. Therefore, does anyone know of a way to deter cats, possibly via smell or item?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had them both for 7 years and keeping them separate is the only way. My cats sleep in the bedrooms while birds are out in the living room, and then get full range of the house after birds are put away for the night. Large, self standing cages helps keep cats off and away too.

Deterrents are just that They deter, but don't prevent.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I have a very trainable cat. She ignores the conure but is interested in the flighty little budgies. Instinct is instinct whether or not they have been outside. Anyway my cat is very smart and trainable. The budgies are in a cage with a stand. I have it placed away from any tables where she can’t get close to them. I have a squirt bottle and if she so much as looks at them I squirt her. She hates the squirt bottle and ignores the budgies. Never ever is she in the room when the budgies are loose. I will have her out when Pampa is out but I watch closely. I alway think of the fable of the scorpion that stings the, don’t remember the animal that swims him across the river. When asked why did you sting me the scorpion answers “it is my nature”.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Do not allow your cats and bird in the same room at the same time - it's not fair to the bird. Cats are predators and birds are prey and there is not a darned thing you can do about it.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I alway think of the fable of the scorpion that stings the, don’t remember the animal that swims him across the river. When asked why did you sting me the scorpion answers “it is my nature”.

Yes yes yes! I always heard of the one getting stung as being a frog.... there are also turtle stories I think. In either case - you don't want your birds to be the ones who die, and it's very very preventable @BirbBrains . Don't take chances with their little lives.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most cats hate spray bottles and will avoid doing an action while they know you can see them. Once they know you aren't watching though, many will resume their naughty behaviors.

I have a 17 year old, arthritic cat that sleeps 20 to 22 hours a day and only gets up to eat, drink, and pee. She literally can't kill a mouse .. She's tried. But I still don't trust her. We had a bat in the house a few weeks ago and guess who was first to run around leaping in the air to try and catch it? My "no more hunting instincts" senior cat!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a cat for 16 years along with budgies. I fully agree with all the posters. Now that this kitty has passed away my birds have the full range of the apartment with no feline concerns. You cannot fight natural instincts of an animal. Same goes for a dog, ferret or any other furry animal.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Do NOT allow your cats into the room with the birds. What's unfair for the cats could easily save your birds' lives.
Asking someone to take a preference of one animal over another is unfair.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have cats and birds who co-exist in the same house. As long as you supervise and don't leave them alone together, they should be fine. What size birds do you have?

Also, what kind of cats do you own? Siamese, Ragdolls, and Persians don't hunt, while Main Coon kitties are notorious hunters.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Sylvester It's unfair to the birds to the extreme to expose them to the possibility of death.

It is also uninformed and naïve to say that some cats "don't" hunt. I've had several Siamese over the years and every one was a magnificent hunter. They constantly and consistently brought me presents of the birds, lizards, mice and other goodies they had caught and killed.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester It's unfair to the birds to the extreme to expose them to the possibility of death.

It is also uninformed and naïve to say that some cats "don't" hunt. I've had several Siamese over the years and every one was a magnificent hunter. They constantly and consistently brought me presents of the birds, lizards, mice and other goodies they had caught and killed.
Of course it's unfair to expose any animal to the possibility of death. Did you not read my initial comment? I said "with supervision" I also asked her the size of her birds.

None of my Siamese have ever killed and I have had them all of my life. Even my mix breed Siamese never killed anything and he was always outdoors.
Siamese Males are the only male cats that can be trusted around a litter of very small kittens. Doesn't mean they won't catch something or play with it, they simply have no desire to pounce with the intent of killing. Main Coon Cats were bred to survive on rocks in very cold weather while catching rats.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
@Sylvester
I own a couple of Devon Rexes. They don't hunt much (one started meowing in distress after almost killing a fly), but I know that they potentially could. I only have one room safe enough for the birds, as it is the farthest away from the kitchen and bathroom, which is where I'm most scared of them being near, and is where I have the most space. I'm planning on getting two budgies and either a cockatiel, catique, or bird that can live in a 24 x 24 x 24 cage. I find it unfair to lock them out of the bird room all together, as they love it there, but need the birds to be safe when I'm not home.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester
I own a couple of Devon Rexes. They don't hunt much (one started meowing in distress after almost killing a fly), but I know that they potentially could. I only have one room safe enough for the birds, as it is the farthest away from the kitchen and bathroom, which is where I'm most scared of them being near, and is where I have the most space. I'm planning on getting two budgies and either a cockatiel, catique, or bird that can live in a 24 x 24 x 24 cage. I find it unfair to lock them out of the bird room all together, as they love it there, but need the birds to be safe when I'm not home.

Can the birds be housed in your bedroom, while you are gone? Yes, parakeets are a magnet for kitty cats, I guess they are just the right side. Let your cats go up to the cage and see how they act. Most of my cats become very disinterested in my birds after a while. Plus, I always have a good water bottle ready. :)

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Can the birds be housed in your bedroom, while you are gone? Yes, parakeets are a magnet for kitty cats, I guess they are just the right side. Let your cats go up to the cage and see how they act. Most of my cats become very disinterested in my birds after a while. Plus, I always have a good water bottle ready. :)
This sounds like a good idea! Thanks for the help!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course it's unfair to expose any animal to the possibility of death. Did you not read my initial comment? I said "with supervision"
Supervision will give you (general you) a front row seat for when the cat grabs and injures or kills the bird. If a cat chooses to grab a bird, the deed and the damage will be done in a blink of an eye, you (general you) won't have time to stop a thing. Cat saliva can kill a bird. Are you (general you) quick enough to stop your cat from hissing and/or spitting in your birds face? A minor cat scratch can kill a bird.

Let your cats go up to the cage and see how they act.
Are you asking how the birds will act? A few things come to mind for me. Prey animals locked in a cage being stared at while being approached by a predator; one can only surmise that the bird will be stressed and afraid. Stress in of itself causes much damage to ones health (I know its something I try to keep to a minimum as much as I can for my bird). Let's hope the birds fight-or-flight response doesn't cause them to thrash and hurt themselves. Learned helplessness will probably follow as they learn there's nothing they can do to get away from the predator. There's so much more, but that's what came to my mind quickly.

IMO: Parrots are prey, cats are predators, they do not belong together under any circumstances.

Fight-or-flight response
The fight-or-flight response is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival. It was first described by Walter Bradford Cannon. His theory states that animals react to threats with a general discharge of the sympathetic nervous system, preparing the animal for fighting or fleeing. More specifically, the adrenal medulla produces a hormonal cascade that results in the secretion of catecholamines, especially norepinephrine and epinephrine. The hormones estrogen, testosterone, and cortisol, as well as the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin, also affect how organisms react to stress.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Supervision will give you (general you) a front row seat for when the cat grabs and injures or kills the bird. If a cat chooses to grab a bird, the deed and the damage will be done in a blink of an eye, you (general you) won't have time to stop a thing. Cat saliva can kill a bird. Are you (general you) quick enough to stop your cat from hissing and/or spitting in your birds face? A minor cat scratch can kill a bird.

Are you asking how the birds will act? A few things come to mind for me. Prey animals locked in a cage being stared at while being approached by a predator; one can only surmise that the bird will be stressed and afraid. Stress in of itself causes much damage to ones health (I know its something I try to keep to a minimum as much as I can for my bird). Let's hope the birds fight-or-flight response doesn't cause them to thrash and hurt themselves. Learned helplessness will probably follow as they learn there's nothing they can do to get away from the predator. There's so much more, but that's what came to my mind quickly.

IMO: Parrots are prey, cats are predators, they do not belong together under any circumstances.
I respectfully disagree. If we went by your last statement, then NO ONE would ever own a bird and a cat at the same time.

I understand they might be stressed, and believe me, I thought of that when I typed my response. But the thing is, is that they have to get USED to one another eventually. Let the cats have their stare and hopefully they will get bored and mosey off. It has worked for me and my family in the past.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you Karen - you beat me.