• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ways to Ward off Cats? (Safely)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Well I think this conversation has pretty much played out but I feel a need to mention that my birds do not have the good sense or experience to fear the cat or the dogs. There is a greater risk of my birds approaching the dogs then the other way around. The birds are not stressed out by the sight of a cat.
It has grown legs in ways that were unimaginable. :)

Yes, I agree, Parrots are fearless.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
And it can be done.

Now you said you have Rex's? Other than what I have read about those good looking felines I have never met anyone who owned one.That breed intrigues me. What are they like?
Haha! They're both handfuls! More like dogs than cats! They play fetch, steal my food (a lot), and bounce around the house at 3 AM. I love the two, nevertheless!

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Well I think this conversation has pretty much played out but I feel a need to mention that my birds do not have the good sense or experience to fear the cat or the dogs. There is a greater risk of my birds approaching the dogs then the other way around. The birds are not stressed out by the sight of a cat.
It has grown legs in ways that were unimaginable. :)

Yes, I agree, Parrots are fearless.
Agreed!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Haha! They're both handfuls! More like dogs than cats! They play fetch, steal my food (a lot), and bounce around the house at 3 AM. I love the two, nevertheless!

Are they curly haired or straight? Probably could be taught to walk on a leash. They sound like they are a ton of fun.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
You could keep your bird in your room during the day, keeping the door shut and locking the cats out. But then at night you could get a smaller sleep cage that you could put your bird in, and move that small cage into a different room while you are sleeping and keep the cats in the bedroom with you, with the door closed. That would keep everybody safe, but make it so your kitties are still happy and get to sleep with you.

It really isn't safe to let your cats have access to your birds, ever. Even when you are watching them, something terrible could happen in the blink of an eye. But you can totally make it work! It might take a little effort on your part, and a little inconvenience, but you can make it work. :)

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
@WeaslyLover

You know, I actually had not thought of that before! That's a good idea!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know I'm in the minority here, and I debated not saying anything but here it goes. It is possible to have birds and cats in the same room but you have to be extra vigilant. My cat follows every step I make and has for 6 years. Her only safe haven is in my room, which is where Java's cage is. I know I'm probably going to get backlash from this post but it is possible. Is it risky? Yes, but it's not impossible. They are both heavily monitored and they never interact. So, again, it can be done. I don't know how many cats you have or how many birds, but I have one of each which makes it easier to supervise. That being said, my cat isn't allowed to sniff around Java's cage, watch him under any circumstance, climb up to eye level, or interact with him at all.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, they are not facts, they are observations from your own experiences.
You think it takes personal experience to know that predators are predatory?
No cat is miraculously devoid of all the natural instincts that have made them survive for millions of years. Thats not "personal experience". It's basic knowledge and understanding of evolution.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I don't think it is safe to keep cats and birds in the same room, like at all. Unless you're holding your bird and he is glued to your arm 24/7, even then... beware.

I was out walking Echo one day, as I normally do almost every evening and out of the blue a neighboring cat comes bounding towards me and tries to get her paws on Echo. She literally came out of nowhere, scared the crap out of me and Echo. Echo was startled and tried flying off of my hand but I held him close to my chest and tried getting out of there as soon as I can. The cat kept following me and tried to claw and pounce on Echo. Most horrific and scariest experience of my life. I got some scratches on my arm from the cat and some bites from Echo because I was holding him tight and he was terrified but Echo was unharmed. Thank god nothing bad happened to my Echo.

Please be very careful. I would say why even take the risk? Because honestly why would you even take the risk? And I know you might say "it will never happen to me" but it might and the outcome will be horrific. Things can go wrong in the blink of an eye and I know if I was any slower in my reactions Echo would be dead. Please be vigilant.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Just keep in mind the fresh cat saliva is very toxic to birds.

I’m in the camp where cats and birds and birds don’t mix because cats are unpredictable creatures and there isn’t a cat breed in the world that doesn’t hunt. The number one cat on the most extreme cats list calculated by how aggressively they hunt is the domestic house cat.

I don’t mind saying that cats with birds is Russian Roulette. I don’t have cats with my birds for the same reasons I don’t have my German Short Haired pointer in with my guinea fowl or my rabbits and for the same reason I wear seatbelts and have airbags. I don’t expect anything would happen, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

It’s everyone’s individual decision and there’s no reason to snark about any of it. I look at it like this, choices have consequences. If you aren’t willing to pay the potential consequence, make another choice. I CHOOSE not to allow them together because I’m not willing to go through the guilt and loss if something goes awry.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know I'm in the minority here, and I debated not saying anything but here it goes. It is possible to have birds and cats in the same room but you have to be extra vigilant. My cat follows every step I make and has for 6 years. Her only safe haven is in my room, which is where Java's cage is. I know I'm probably going to get backlash from this post but it is possible. Is it risky? Yes, but it's not impossible. They are both heavily monitored and they never interact. So, again, it can be done. I don't know how many cats you have or how many birds, but I have one of each which makes it easier to supervise. That being said, my cat isn't allowed to sniff around Java's cage, watch him under any circumstance, climb up to eye level, or interact with him at all.
I understand where you are coming from. There is a very strong majority here with members I deeply respect but I disagree with them on this issue too. I don't have cats but I've seen situations where it works out. I do have a dog and he's pretty much by my side 24/7 when I'm home. Even when I have Echo out and Zane too when was alive. It's been 11 years with no incidents. Animals are all individuals, that doesn't mean type of species and instincts isn't relevant. But it does mean some animals will be more predatory than others.

Obviously the states are high and we're seen tragedies here. IMHO you really need to know your animals and what behavior to look out for. People are very passionate about this issue and rightfully so. But just because there has been tragedies with some cats and dogs doesn't mean every cat or dog are a ticking time bomb.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
Obviously the states are high and we're seen tragedies here. IMHO you really need to know your animals and what behavior to look out for. People are very passionate about this issue and rightfully so. But just because there has been tragedies with some cats and dogs doesn't mean every cat or dog are a ticking time bomb.
I had dogs with my birds and felt it was a calculated risk. Both of my dogs were outstanding in advanced obedience and would down and stay where I put them regardless of what went by. Cats are different creatures and you are correct, not every dog or cat is a ticking time bomb. The problem is, you don’t know until you know and then it’s often too late.

I have one cat that as a feral kitten was raised by my hens with a clutch of chicks. She was with them 3 months because it took me that long to tame her. She goes in the common with baby rabbits. She goes in the chicken coup with baby chicks and doesn’t offer to bother them. She actually doesn’t meow, she makes a mee mee sound that really sounds like she’s trying to peep like her “siblings “ did when they were young. That same cat will bring me wild birds and field mice.

It’s strange how she makes a distinction. I didn’t worry about her with the parrots because she was literally raised by birds, until she was sitting grooming herself and Cabo hopped over and started preening her. That lead to a vet trip and treatment for a gram negative organism that he likely contracted from the saliva on her fur. She didn’t harm him intentionally but that broke me from cat/bird contact.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I Will just say I used to ket my cats and birds in the same room under supervision before I knew better. Gradually I stopped doing that. But one time, I opened the door halfway to get something from my room. Just two seconds. My cat Whisky had never attacked anything and preffered to okay Nice, never hurt anyone or anything. He had had my cockatiel sitting on his head countless of times when they were still allowed together. Well in that two seconds he charged from the other side of the hallway towards Henkie and scratched his beak before I pulled him away. I was not even aware Whisky was there. I Will never allow them in the same room again Unless one js secured. Sometimes when the birds are roosting, I do let one of the cats in, but ONLY to cuddle, I have a hand on the cat at all times and the birds are up high. But that happens like ince a year. The cats Own the rest of the house, the bird room/my room is the fid’s. When the birds are sleeping(they sleep in a box hanging from the ceiling that can’t Be reached Unless the cats start climbing the wall) I do rarely let them in. But they can come lie with me, if they want to explore I follow them ike a hawk to make sure they don’t even go near the bird’s sleeping box.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had dogs with my birds and felt it was a calculated risk. Both of my dogs were outstanding in advanced obedience and would down and stay where I put them regardless of what went by. Cats are different creatures and you are correct, not every dog or cat is a ticking time bomb. The problem is, you don’t know until you know and then it’s often too late.

I have one cat that as a feral kitten was raised by my hens with a clutch of chicks. She was with them 3 months because it took me that long to tame her. She goes in the common with baby rabbits. She goes in the chicken coup with baby chicks and doesn’t offer to bother them. She actually doesn’t meow, she makes a mee mee sound that really sounds like she’s trying to peep like her “siblings “ did when they were young. That same cat will bring me wild birds and field mice.

It’s strange how she makes a distinction. I didn’t worry about her with the parrots because she was literally raised by birds, until she was sitting grooming herself and Cabo hopped over and started preening her. That lead to a vet trip and treatment for a gram negative organism that he likely contracted from the saliva on her fur. She didn’t harm him intentionally but that broke me from cat/bird contact.
I agree that's cats pose a greater risk for a couple different reasons. One being the bacteria in their saliva, thou dogs have have the same problem I've heard cats is apparently more harmful. I do think reading cats behavior is trickier too. But I've never owned a cat so I can't say I'm all that knowable about them. I have seen cats and birds live with each other with no problems but it was mainly bigger birds. I definitely think size matters. The bigger the bird the less it will be seen as prey. And some birds are big enough they won't be seen as prey at all. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with mixing smaller birds with cats.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I agree that size matters. I Watch the neighbors cats co mingling with wild crows with no problem. The crows are too big, inless injured or sick. But flighty little birds awaken the instinct. Okay being honest here, my Pampa navigates this house like a master pilot flying low to the ground on ocasion and flying just above the sleeping cat and I did witness her take a leap and a swipe as he unexpectedly flew over her. Instinct is instinct. I once without thinking Instinctively slapped my sweet human baby when he surprised me with a slap across my face.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
This is so exhausting to think and read about, I can't help but wonder why anyone would want to get a bird when they already have cats. I have cats but I live on a farm and they live outside and have a barn to sleep in. They are very sweet but I will never ever let them in the house as long as I have cheeky, not even for a minute

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You think it takes personal experience to know that predators are predatory?
No cat is miraculously devoid of all the natural instincts that have made them survive for millions of years. Thats not "personal experience". It's basic knowledge and understanding of evolution.
Now, now, hrafn, let's not exaggerate too much. I just explain to you that some breeds have been bred to be less aggressive. We can alter genetics, you know.

Last edited by a moderator: