• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wasabi, must you?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I think you got me there. Without looking back at the bird bite photos, didn't somebirdy give you a terrible bite on your nose?

Oh gosh my dear. I have "albums" of photos. Sadly. :lol:

Name a body part. I probably have a pic. :lol:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clueless, you can transfer Secret by stick? How did you get her to step on it without fear and without biting you?

I don't think I could hold a perch out far enough so W would not reach down and bite.

Clueless, you mean you's going to send me a human to get W upstairs? Great! lol

John, you got me beat, definitely. If W had a beak the size of a cockatoo with the same bite force, I would have bled out by now.

I know W bites are merely nibbles compared to the bites you have taken. I am lucky I don't get those.

W almost never bites hubby. I avoid trying to transfer W when possible. He has certainly bitten me harder. I was actually surprised to see bite marks when I rolled up my sleeve. I thought it would be no skin broken.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
It's a large dowel put into a large dowel and a block of wood to stop the beak.

Both my birds step up on it.

Have your hubby put Wasabi on floor and hold the perch part of stick higher than him, the bird will step up on stick....wa la. Give a treat. Repeat.

I may have tried training initially while in cage for mine. There are war wounds on it. Birds are birds.....this is wood and much less fragile than flesh. I transfer MC to stick, then to arm....but he doesn't bite me. Secret goes by stick.

MC climbs off head first, Secret climbs off backwards.

I'll let you know once I get this accomplished.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
'Tis the season for that kind of behavior. I was mildly surprised this morning when Gremlin let me give him a scratch through the cage bars before work. I had a thought that I shouldn't do that because bleeding and stitches tends to be counter productive to getting work done.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Oh my gosh...I have to say I consider myself fortunate. I have very well behaved Toos. Yes I've been bit, but it's because of something that is uncomfortable for them like toe nail trimming. I have to say my birds are a pleasure. They pinch me but it's not out of aggression, it's more of love nips, I say ouch and they ease up on the love nips.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today is one of those days where he is not such a good boy yet. Struck out at me as I uncovered his cage. Then a minute later bowed his head for a scratch. I don't think so, buddy. Sometimes his attitude improves during the day and he lets me pet his head little three strokes. Other times, it's hands off. That's alright tho.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a large dowel put into a large dowel and a block of wood to stop the beak.

Both my birds step up on it.

Have your hubby put Wasabi on floor and hold the perch part of stick higher than him, the bird will step up on stick....wa la. Give a treat. Repeat.

I may have tried training initially while in cage for mine. There are war wounds on it. Birds are birds.....this is wood and much less fragile than flesh. I transfer MC to stick, then to arm....but he doesn't bite me. Secret goes by stick.

MC climbs off head first, Secret climbs off backwards.

I'll let you know once I get this accomplished.

Can you take a photo of the transfer stick? How did you introduce it?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh...I have to say I consider myself fortunate. I have very well behaved Toos. Yes I've been bit, but it's because of something that is uncomfortable for them like toe nail trimming. I have to say my birds are a pleasure. They pinch me but it's not out of aggression, it's more of love nips, I say ouch and they ease up on the love nips.
My female amazons are generally very sweet. I've only gotten two bad bites from females and in one case I was restraining her for nail trims. Generally females aren't nearly so bad. The males can really depend on the day. My cockatoos are not bad either. The galerita is a VERY good bird. The goffin's is a little sketchy but not like some people's birds.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wasabi's adoption record said he was female. He has not one single female trait and he was not DNAed that we know of.
I'd be terrified of egg laying.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My female amazons are generally very sweet. I've only gotten two bad bites from females and in one case I was restraining her for nail trims. Generally females aren't nearly so bad. The males can really depend on the day. My cockatoos are not bad either. The galerita is a VERY good bird. The goffin's is a little sketchy but not like some people's birds.
I agree , the females are generally easier to handle, Bentley my male MM2 is somewhat skittish and can be a 2 faced stinker at times :sneaky: I've caught on to his ways now. Isabelle is outgoing very sociable , with her what you see is what you get.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wasabi's adoption record said he was female. He has not one single female trait and he was not DNAed that we know of.
I'd be terrified of egg laying.
He looks like a male. Plus, female amazons are not overly prone to chronic egg laying. I doubt you have much to worry about. I had a female that was DNA'd male but she laid an egg for her previous owner. I think people are sloppy with the record keeping or their DNA collection method.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Tika was taught to be a fighter by 3 little demon spawn................... I mean children and was in fighting form when he came here. I was an amateur. I have not been "intentionally" bitten in about 3 years. We are both seasoned fighters now. :)

I broke him down. I wish you could do the same Terry.
IMG_3755.JPG

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Tika: just give me what I want, and no one gets hurt.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks like a male. Plus, female amazons are not overly prone to chronic egg laying. I doubt you have much to worry about. I had a female that was DNA'd male but she laid an egg for her previous owner. I think people are sloppy with the record keeping or their DNA collection method.

How someone thought he is female, I'll never know, but we tested him right away, anyhow.
I knew how to care for tiels when W came along, but stupid me, did little research, if any, on Amazons.
I don't see me ever turning Wasabi into a gentleman, but it would be nice. I would never trust W to get that close
to my face. He'd rearrange it.

Rolanda

Tika was taught to be a fighter by 3 little demon spawn................... I mean children and was in fighting form when he came here. I was an amateur. I have not been "intentionally" bitten in about 3 years. We are both seasoned fighters now. :)

I broke him down. I wish you could do the same Terry.
View attachment 250646

Is that your OLD nose he's eating John?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Definite improvement. Yellow isn't your color.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
20170525_231734.jpg

Ignore the ink on the end of the stick.... obviously you might need a bigger wooden barrier than what I have.