• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vote for Jen's new scaley grandchild - opinions needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I actually like the second one better. I guess I like them both for different reasons, but the second one the red is just more intense :)

Speaking of grandkids.... here are a few hanging out with us tonight. Cleo is the gorgeous puppy dog who climbs all over you to see what you're doing, she's more puppy, does all but wag her tail!! Then she tried out the Java tree and worked her way to comfy on the blinds. :) no closet for the kids! View attachment 240197 View attachment 240198 View attachment 240193 View attachment 240194 View attachment 240195 View attachment 240196
Ahh so pretty! I love the one of her wrapped around the blind. Are snakes good pets? For example, now handle able is she? I think they are pretty cool! :)

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
The funniest part about that was watching you jump awake like I zapped you with a tazer lol

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Yeah Lily gets into the closet and we tear the house apart to find her.... tho it is a nice big closet but I think Lily has more floor space in her 8' enclosure. But guess if you're a bad snake home a glass tank in the closet might be their answer. Sure both those boas would love to have a custom made enclosure for them like all your scaley kids. If only all snakes we're so fortunate!!

8 foot!!! I should come live with you...That's almost bigger than my bedroom...

:rofl:

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
All but one of my snakes are handable and the one is handeable if you go slow with him. A couple are a little nervous but calm down eventually.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I actually like the second one better. I guess I like them both for different reasons, but the second one the red is just more intense :)

Ahh so pretty! I love the one of her wrapped around the blind. Are snakes good pets? For example, now handle able is she? I think they are pretty cool! :)

Like anything depends on the snake. They are at times less forgiving for mistakes, reason hiding a snake in the closet is so fun. We have hundreds of dollars of monitoring equipment to ensure temps and humidity are exact. But a snake like a BCI (commonly known in pet stores as a red tail boa- tho not true name). They can make awesome pets / family members. The first boa in our home is Lucky who is now 13 or so and been with us all her life. She has never once bitten anyone. She is so friendly, our exotic vet borrows her for educational purposes.

The beauty in the pics on the tree and blinds is a very young reticulated python, they get quite large and are not really appropriate for average home due to size. They can have exceptional personalities. Cleo has always been one to curl up someone on you, longest time she made herself a hair bun decoration. She is sweet and almost cuddles with you, she is an exceptional snake, tho we have many awesome personalities. They are not interactive like a parrot, cat or dog.... often they are more hang out type and they don't 'need ' human socialization like a parrot, so low key / maintenance in that sense.

They are not for everyone, but they are very interesting! And often times downright gorgeous! received_10204873474716439.jpeg 20161223_173439.jpg 20161205_223714.jpg FB_IMG_1482562250370.jpg FB_IMG_1482562222375.jpg

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
All but one of my snakes are handable and the one is handeable if you go slow with him. A couple are a little nervous but calm down eventually.

How beautiful! I love the second picture especially. :)

I know my mom would never let me get a snake, but I think they would be interesting to have. For the future thoughts haha.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

Like anything depends on the snake. They are at times less forgiving for mistakes, reason hiding a snake in the closet is so fun. We have hundreds of dollars of monitoring equipment to ensure temps and humidity are exact. But a snake like a BCI (commonly known in pet stores as a red tail boa- tho not true name). They can make awesome pets / family members. The first boa in our home is Lucky who is now 13 or so and been with us all her life. She has never once bitten anyone. She is so friendly, our exotic vet borrows her for educational purposes.

The beauty in the pics on the tree and blinds is a very young reticulated python, they get quite large and are not really appropriate for average home due to size. They can have exceptional personalities. Cleo has always been one to curl up someone on you, longest time she made herself a hair bun decoration. She is sweet and almost cuddles with you, she is an exceptional snake, tho we have many awesome personalities. They are not interactive like a parrot, cat or dog.... often they are more hang out type and they don't 'need ' human socialization like a parrot, so low key / maintenance in that sense.

They are not for everyone, but they are very interesting! And often times downright gorgeous! View attachment 240200 View attachment 240201 View attachment 240202 View attachment 240203 View attachment 240204
Cool! For the longest time I thought snakes were creatures that strangled people in the middle of the night (large boas) and were evil haha. :lol: But recently I have come to realize that they are actually really cool. I would probably stick to small snakes if I ever do end up getting one though :)

Last edited:

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
My wild caught wolf snake the first day she arrived. She's only been in the country about a month at this photo. So has been transported multiple times before she was once again packed up to be shipped to me. She was handleable on day one I was very surprised!

A week or so after she arrived.

Of course she doesn't look quite as flawless right now since we've had a rough time of it getting her settled but we are getting back to almost being perfect again. Just some scale damage that I'm hoping heals perfectly so she's all black again.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
My wild caught wolf snake the first day she arrived. She's only been in the country about a month at this photo. So has been transported multiple times before she was once again packed up to be shipped to me. She was handleable on day one I was very surprised!

Of course she doesn't look quite as flawless right now since we've had a rough time of it getting her settled but we are getting back to almost being perfect again. Just some scale damage that I'm hoping heals perfectly so she's all black again.
She is beautiful! How big will she get?

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Cool! For the longest time I thought snakes were creatures that strangled people in the middle of the night (large boas) and were evil haha. But recently I have come to realize that they are actually really cool. I would probably stick to small snakes if I ever do end up getting one though :)
A snake can be mean not all are as nice as mine and a full grown giant can be a dangerous animal. The one you like is usually a recommended beginner snake! They can be difficult with feeding sometimes but generally calm easy going and easy to care for animals. The second photo is my newest ball python addition. They come in an outrageous amount of morphs lol. That one is a hypo butter girl.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
She is beautiful! How big will she get?
She's probably about full grown. Not a lot of information on them since they aren't that common in the states or as pets. She laid a clutch of unfertilized eggs when she arrived so that's why I'm guessing full grown. She would not be a beginner animal since any you buy would be an imported animal that would need to be tested for parasites, play with their temps and humidity to try and find the right combo, and she eats lizards. She just about starved herself to death until I found the right feeders she wanted. There's no care sheet to be found on these guys it's pretty much just experimenting to see what works right now.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
How beautiful! I love the second picture especially. :)

I know my mom would never let me get a snake, but I think they would be interesting to have. For the future thoughts haha.

Hey your mom might surprise you, took years for Victoria to convince me to get her a snake. Now they are the grandkids!

Smaller snakes are awesome too! One of the favorites in the home is Roy, a Chinese Beauty snake. He's funny, super out going and hangs out with everyone. Victoria had her first clutch of snakes from Roy and a normal get albino girl. They get maybe 5 or 6 feet, but much thinner, more like a bigger cornsnake. Can only find one pic of Roy on my phone - Victoria can you add more. And a few pics of my pretty like cornsnake Jigsaw. They are awesome first snakes, amazing array of color morphs and she's about as big as she gets in pics. Roy is,also full grown. Have awesome pics of him half sleeping in my boots that I was wearing! FB_IMG_1482563122491.jpg FB_IMG_1482563211234.jpg FB_IMG_1482563231348.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Wow...a wild snake...that is amazing. I didn't know snakes had nice personalities.
As for there affection they might just want your warmth.

The wolf snake is interesting. Looked it up but they will bite. Your lucky you got such a docile one.

It seems many of the snakes don't get as big as pythons or boas.

You certainly would not want to handle the brown snake that frequents eastern Australia.
Its extremely deadly poisonous (might be 3rd deadliest snake in world) & very aggressive.

I guess they are a low maintenance pet. Feed every once in a while & are quiet. LOL

Nice documentary of King Cobra

Last edited:

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow...a wild snake...that is amazing. I didn't know snakes had nice personalities.
As for there affection they might just want your warmth.

The wolf snake is interesting. Looked it up but they will bite. Your lucky you got such a docile one.

It seems many of the snakes don't get as big as pythons or boas.

You certainly would not want to handle the brown snake that frequents eastern Australia.
Its extremely deadly poisonous (might be 3rd deadliest snake in world) & very aggressive.

We have one of the largest 'pet' snakes, the reticulated python. I giggle at your Wolf snake and biting. Just like parrots, any snake can bite. One of Beauties struck at me the other day, she was hanging down the back of Victoria, we were talking about the amazing colors on one of her babies and with a,pretty quick motion I leaned around Tor to see the face coloring and one thing you never do with a snake is go eye to eye, its predatory behavior. Didn't mean to didn't know she was near face level when I moved, but just lucky she was hanging down Tor's back and did not have much launching power! Even with the wonderful temperament of a snake like Cleo, you respect what they can do.

As for warmth only, that is a huge debate in the snake world, what emotions or feelings snakes have. Most of the time, they would be warmer in their enclosures on the warm side. And not much warmth is garnered by being a hair bun, if anything it's a 'cool spot' - temp wise. Snakes have warm and cool spots in their enclosures. And we have one snakes that hates me, hisses everytime the little jerk sees me, so have to debate they have some level of emotion and some do enjoy the interaction more than others.

No interest in brown snakes from Australia or cobras, if I went nuts and we got a venomous snake, would definitely be a rhino giboon, they are amazingly gorgeous. But not that crazy yet!

Are we still able to vote? I love the second one.

This face is SO cute. I loved playing with the ball python "Monty" (such a bad joke!!) from school. He was sweet and liked my jacket pockets.

Yep, still not decided unless she purchased a snake at 4 am!! Votes night be evening up!! Ball pythons are awesome snakes too, they are typical so docile they are known in snake community as 'pet rocks " :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Amazing how far the temperament quality of retics has come. I can recall some real monsters from years ago. I like BC #1, too, unless there's a Dumeril's boa pic I missed. :p

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Amazing how far the temperament quality of retics has come. I can recall some real monsters from years ago. I like BC #1, too, unless there's a Dumeril's boa pic I missed. :p

I was looking at Durms, love that pattern and colors that fade into each other!! One day there will likely be one in the family.

Captive bred retics have always been mellow, but their bad rep came about from people who should not have had the extra large snake. If you put an adult retic in a 4' standard enclosure, they will be mean and grumpy, much like us living in a tiny closet with no room to stretch out.

Rocks on the other hand are friggin scary, tho I know people who have one or more and swear they are puppy dog tame. But part of the snake issue especially in the south where they can establish is cross breeding, you put a rock and a Burmese together and you're gonna have one large scary snake showing up in your yard for your dog!

I must admit our retics do come from an excellent hobbyist. Jay's snakes are handled from hatching to have them almost imprinted. Cleo the beautiful girl on the blinds was a favorite of his girlfriend andv she spent her first month's always out being socialized and from a hatchling loved getting up into and wrapping around hair buns or ponytails. This is Cleo in Victoria's hair doing what is now the infamous reric braid :)

FB_IMG_1482562250370.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
oh forget you people... who asked you anyway.... ;) just teasing!! I am voting for the one in the grass, the red is just so intense. Tho I do admit I love the stripe pattern with the white on the tail of the first. I know my decision making process is dizzying :)

If only we could combine the two!! The good news is that both should have gorgeous red tails when adult, its the draw of the larger BC boas.

Any other votes, and do not let my babble impact you, want honest opinions. I would be happy having either in the home, beautiful grandsnakebaby either way!!
I like the second one too! They both come from one of the (formerly 3 Guyanas - British, dutch & French).

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
In my opinion, rock pythons ARE the most beautiful. Wish those came in a mini-size. A huge powerful snake is no joke - and you NEED to move them to at least clean the enclosure. Because of the death of those two Canadian boys a few years ago, I don't expect rocks will ever see popularity as pets. Most are still considered to be testy. Maybe that will change after a couple more decades of captive breeding.

I like both boas. Obviously, the Suri has the most cache in the hobby, but based on just the pics, I prefer the other.

A few boas are on my wish list, but it'll be a while. As mentioned - hundreds of dollars in monitoring equipment for good husbandry, and secure cages aren't cheep either. Just the planted Exo-Terra for the cornsnake came to almost $1000 after all was said and done. You don't have to go that expensive, but I wanted a beautiful display viv for him.

Next snake will either be a Pittuophis (sonoran gopher, bull, etc.) or a Cribo.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
In my opinion, rock pythons ARE the most beautiful. Wish those came in a mini-size. A huge powerful snake is no joke - and you NEED to move them to at least clean the enclosure. Because of the death of those two Canadian boys a few years ago, I don't expect rocks will ever see popularity as pets. Most are still considered to be testy. Maybe that will change after a couple more decades of captive breeding.

I like both boas. Obviously, the Suri has the most cache in the hobby, but based on just the pics, I prefer the other.

A few boas are on my wish list, but it'll be a while. As mentioned - hundreds of dollars in monitoring equipment for good husbandry, and secure cages aren't cheep either. Just the planted Exo-Terra for the cornsnake came to almost $1000 after all was said and done. You don't have to go that expensive, but I wanted a beautiful display viv for him.

Next snake will either be a Pittuophis (sonoran gopher, bull, etc.) or a Cribo.
I really want to do bioactive for my wolf snake. It would the first time I tried doing bioactive. I just need her to be more established before giving it a try. She's almost back to being up to weight and her head looks better from the rubbing she did. Maybe in a month or two she might be ready for me to start putting a bio together for her! Plus, I still haven't nailed down what humidity is best for her it seems to be almost baby Brazilian rainbow boa level. Her last two sheds have come off whole since I added the humid hide but she spends pretty much all her time in it so I know the surrounding humidity isn't right yet.

I'm hoping one day to be settled and be able to do huge displays for the retics. I would love to have almost zoo sized displays to be able to see them moving around and climbing about! I've never personally handled a rock but I've heard more bad about them than good. Which doesn't tell you much since retics didn't have the best reputation for a very long time.

I have a hypo Stillwater bull she's beautiful but I've been debating selling some of the colubrids and she might be one. Just not sure on doing so or not.

The equipment is definitely the most expensive aspect of the snakes. I just found a new guy that is cheaper on pvc cages that I'm trying out. Doing payments on 5 retic cages right now. I'm a little worried since I didn't find any reviews but I'll be finding out in April just how good or bad he turns out to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.