• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vote for Jen's new scaley grandchild - opinions needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
In my opinion, rock pythons ARE the most beautiful. Wish those came in a mini-size. A huge powerful snake is no joke - and you NEED to move them to at least clean the enclosure. Because of the death of those two Canadian boys a few years ago, I don't expect rocks will ever see popularity as pets. Most are still considered to be testy. Maybe that will change after a couple more decades of captive breeding.

I like both boas. Obviously, the Suri has the most cache in the hobby, but based on just the pics, I prefer the other.

A few boas are on my wish list, but it'll be a while. As mentioned - hundreds of dollars in monitoring equipment for good husbandry, and secure cages aren't cheep either. Just the planted Exo-Terra for the cornsnake came to almost $1000 after all was said and done. You don't have to go that expensive, but I wanted a beautiful display viv for him.

Next snake will either be a Pittuophis (sonoran gopher, bull, etc.) or a Cribo.

The Cribo are awesome looking! Victoria posted she has a bull, really beautiful girl, have to find pics of her.

Some states have outlawed the oversized snakes. We have friends in NY and the largest snake legal are the boas. No large pythons at all. I haven't seen too many people with the interest in rocks for breeding projects, and that's a worry, having people who can properly house and care for the large snakes will eventually lead to even stricter laws. Right now the retics in our area have the law of not being able to move them across lines without special permit. Our friend, Jay, was able to obtain the licensing to ship and sell across state lines, but places such as Florida, you are not allowed to bring them in.

We joke the avian community should have been paying more attention to the snake community, there was quite a lesson to be learned for the laws passed limiting snakes where you have them.

Boas are probably my favorite overall, but the snake we've had the longest is Lucky, she has been with us 13 years or so. She is a common boa, but such a big beautiful girl, just a wonderful example of proper husbandry, feeding and care over the years. She actually went to the vet recently for full bloodwork and they said her block was exceptionally normal. So often boas her age are dead from poor husbandry or people power feeding them to get them to grow as large as quickly as possible. Took Lucky forever to get to her size, for years she was right about 5' and not nearly as thick, and we joke one day we woke up to an 8' boa! She is large for a common boa, but its been a long slow steady growth for the girl. And again, she is the one we've had for 13 years and not one single bite. Actually just found baby pics of Lucky!! Here are baby and now photos! :)

P4230073.JPG P4230072.JPG P4230071.JPG lucky.jpg lucky.jpg

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I vote for the one in the grass. Be careful with BC's. They can get bitey without warning occasionally (depends on the individual snake)!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
You are making me miss mine! I had ball pythons and man were they gorgeous. I had one that got loose and got into my dogs crate and she attacked it. The other two I had to rehome after friends and family literally stopped stepping foot into my house because I had snakes. :(
They are all beautiful! I'm sure you've decided by now, but I also voted for the one in the grass :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OMG! If my hubby saw that snakiepoo climbing the shower,,,he would run out of the house!:faint:

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Lovely RTB!

Great chance for education! Sorry the Adoption Coordinator in me never sleeps...

No such thing as a Red Tail Boa... that is a common name applied by pet stores years ago.

RTB are actually BCC or BCI.... and typically identified by the region they are from.

These beauties that Victoria added to the family are Boa c. Constrictor Suriname. They are known for their amazing colors and they are typically several feet larger then the common BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator).

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George

Great chance for education! Sorry the Adoption Coordinator in me never sleeps...

No such thing as a Red Tail Boa... that is a common name applied by pet stores years ago.

RTB are actually BCC or BCI.... and typically identified by the region they are from.

These beauties that Victoria added to the family are Boa c. Constrictor Suriname. They are known for their amazing colors and they are typically several feet larger then the common BCI (Boa Constrictor Imperator).
I know ;)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You know, boa constrictors that have a pronounced red tail pattern are called red tail boas in a lot of the world.

see my post above about why :) There are a lot of things that are 'called' in this world that are not correct...

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
see my post above about why :) There are a lot of things that are 'called' in this world that are not correct...
I feel like you're beating me up and assuming that I am un-educated on the subject unnecessarily.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I feel like you're beating me up and assuming that I am un-educated on the subject unnecessarily.

No just responding appropriately... Sorry, being involved with a rescue, education and sharing proper information is just natural. In both the parrot and snake world, there is so much misinformation floating around, we all need to do our part in education and correcting misnomers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.