• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Urgent) I'm in need of help..again!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He does eat everything I offer, honestly he really enjoys eating pellets.
I've had him for 2 years and it's so odd he's only reacting now then?
Sometimes toxins take a while to accumulate in the body.

I am not an avian vet and don't want to say what I think is going on. Just trying to eliminate potential harm as those could fall under the possibility of why he is ill.

Otherwise he very well could have invested something to make him sick.

Fibers.

Happy bird hut or a blanket or shirts? Does he chew these things?

He could have ate some and now hos crop is impacted.

An Xray would be a good idea with a barium test.

Last edited:

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Sometimes toxins take a while to accumulate in the body.

I am not an avian vet and don't want to say what I think is going on. Just trying to eliminate potential harm as those could fall under the possibility of why he is ill.

Otherwise he very well could have invested something to make him sick.

Fibers.

Happy bird or a blanket or shirts? Does he chew these things?

He could have ate some and now hos crop is impacted.

An Xray would be a good idea with a barium test.
I don't think it's a possibility he's intoxicated by these things, he isn't showing signs like a intoxicated bird would according to the vet.

Happy bird blanket? Never heard of those.
Turbo is never allowed to destroy anything with fibers like a shirt, mostly because of the risk he'll swallow pieces.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry Turbo is sick again. Hopefully, you get some answers with the test results.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Turbo is eating a bit again, as well ad drinking water.
I'm crossing my fingers for him.
there hasn't been any throwing up for hours now.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So am I correct in understanding that there's been no testing done, just antibiotics prescribed? Which antibiotics and for how long has he taken them?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
stop using all the products mentioned above.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
So am I correct in understanding that there's been no testing done, just antibiotics prescribed? Which antibiotics and for how long has he taken them?
He hasn't had anything else other than shots/vaccines.
there hasn't been done a whole bunch of tests, because it's always seemed to be an infection in his guts, but now it might be something else.
The vet is working on it.
We suspect it's a virus and not a bacterial infection

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds to me - tell me if I am wrong - that you are tacitly saying that you use some of the forbidden products in your household. Teflon is particularly deadly, candles have zinc in the wicks and candles are generally made from a petroleum product which emits many deadly VOCs (volatile organic compounds) not to mention the deadly effects of many perfumes/odors, air fresheners are deadly to a bird - especially Febreeze as are the compounds in laundry sheets. You can't keep birds and use many common household products.

Giving your bird an antibiotic without testing for a specific microorganism is like spitting into the wind. Not all bacteria is sensitive to all antibiotics and not all antibiotics are effective against all organisms. A culture and sensitivity should be performed. If it is a virus there are few tests to identify it and almost no medications - supportive care is necessary. If it is a fungus or mold, again tests must be performed to identify it, before it can be medicated. It's not just as simple as taking your bird to a vet and having him say just give him these antibiotics. Your bird needs tests and possibly an xray.

Is your current vet an avian qualified vet?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Turbo will be okay.
Sounds to me - tell me if I am wrong - that you are tacitly saying that you use some of the forbidden products in your household. Teflon is particularly deadly, candles have zinc in the wicks and candles are generally made from a petroleum product which emits many deadly VOCs (volatile organic compounds) not to mention the deadly effects of many perfumes/odors, air fresheners are deadly to a bird - especially Febreeze as are the compounds in laundry sheets. You can't keep birds and use many common household products.

Giving your bird an antibiotic without testing for a specific microorganism is like spitting into the wind. Not all bacteria is sensitive to all antibiotics and not all antibiotics are effective against all organisms. A culture and sensitivity should be performed. If it is a virus there are few tests to identify it and almost no medications - supportive care is necessary. If it is a fungus or mold, again tests must be performed to identify it, before it can be medicated. It's not just as simple as taking your bird to a vet and having him say just give him these antibiotics. Your bird needs tests and possibly an xray.

All this!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, I can't help further without more specifics. I hope you and your vet figure it out.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm really concerned about this vet now. Giving IV antibiotics without a diagnosis? I also wonder about this fever, whether this vet is even aware that normal body temperature is quite a few degrees higher in parrots than it is in mammals.
Something is not adding up here. In fact it hasn't for a while now.
Poor Turbo.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really concerned about this vet now. Giving IV antibiotics without a diagnosis? I also wonder about this fever, whether this vet is even aware that normal body temperature is quite a few degrees higher in parrots than it is in mammals.
Poor Turbo.
Yeah, that's why I wanted a summary of tests and meds. But I can't really suggest anything with the vague information available.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard

I do not use those things! There has been a misunderstanding along the way.
my vet is a qualified avian vet.
I have done my research properly!
We are looking into it all, turbo is doing much better right now!
We can't work faster than we already are :/

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Yeah, that's why I wanted a summary of tests and meds. But I can't really suggest anything with the vague information available.
Honestly I don't have much more to share, English isn't my first language so even translating most of the thibgs is difficult for me.
I mean I am doing everything I can and I do believe my vet knows what he's doing right now. We just can't work faster.

The vet knows parrots have a higher temperature that other mammals, I'm just as concerned about turbo as you all are.
I'm just getting a feeling I'm not trusted here?
Poor Turbo.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
If he is still sick than you should go to the vet. (If you haven’t already)

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Guys, why is this turning into me not using the right things around my parrots, there is a misunderstanding along the way!
I might not have worded myself correctly, English isn't my first language!
I never use airfresheners, I never use non stick pans!
My parrots aren't near the kitchen etc.
my question is, why is turbo sick but dusty isn't?
It's not an intoxicasion!!