• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~Update Post 145~ on our two German Shepherd Pups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Once I have the Junkyard dogs trained I am going to -click- when husband something good. He will be trained next!

I think we are luring too

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Sounds like you found a great trainer!! Such great news!!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Yesterday was a yucky day, but today started out pretty good!

Yesterday I was walking her and training, I had my back to Izzy while picking up some treats that were missed. She had about 3-4 feet of leash, anyway, a woman came up from behind, surprised BOTH of us and shoved her hand in Izzy's face.

Well of course, WRONG thing to do to her. She lunged and barked at the woman. Then the woman goes crazy, she said she was going to call 911 on me and have the dog put down, have it muzzled, she was going on and on.

I told her to ask next time she shoves a hand in a dogs face! THEN she threatened me and said she will call 911 on me, so I shut up, she threatened that Izzy would have to wear a muzzle for the rest of her life. Then she walked up the block yelling "watch out for that viscious dog, you are going to get bit, she can't control it!!" then she was calling me a Bi--h :( Izzy just lunged and barked. That woman just went crazy. Honestly, I think she is unstable and her feelings were hurt when she put her hand in a puppies face and it hated her.

I went home and :cry: :cry: :cry: then called the city to find out what determines a vicious dog, she has to bite a person first. Then I called the trainer and cried :(

Then today, I bit the bullet and brought up a crate from storage. Guess what? She goes right in it and lies down :lol: She loves it. :D

I think Izzy is picking up on my stress now, I need to take her to quiet places to train. Its just that she is a beautiful dog and an obvious puppy so people are drawn to her. It is almost automatic that people put their hands out to a dog. I actually had to run away from one lady who insisted on petting her. I even went behind a door and she was still putting her arm through the door to pet her.

I need to learn to be more assertive, and change my brain that I am being assertive for her, not for me.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Yesterday was a yucky day, but today started out pretty good!

Yesterday I was walking her and training, I had my back to Izzy while picking up some treats that were missed. She had about 3-4 feet of leash, anyway, a woman came up from behind, surprised BOTH of us and shoved her hand in Izzy's face.

Well of course, WRONG thing to do to her. She lunged and barked at the woman. Then the woman goes crazy, she said she was going to call 911 on me and have the dog put down, have it muzzled, she was going on and on.

I told her to ask next time she shoves a hand in a dogs face! THEN she threatened me and said she will call 911 on me, so I shut up, she threatened that Izzy would have to wear a muzzle for the rest of her life. Then she walked up the block yelling "watch out for that viscious dog, you are going to get bit, she can't control it!!" then she was calling me a Bi--h :( Izzy just lunged and barked. That woman just went crazy. Honestly, I think she is unstable and her feelings were hurt when she put her hand in a puppies face and it hated her.

I went home and :cry: :cry: :cry: then called the city to find out what determines a vicious dog, she has to bite a person first. Then I called the trainer and cried :(

Then today, I bit the bullet and brought up a crate from storage. Guess what? She goes right in it and lies down :lol: She loves it. :D

I think Izzy is picking up on my stress now, I need to take her to quiet places to train. Its just that she is a beautiful dog and an obvious puppy so people are drawn to her. It is almost automatic that people put their hands out to a dog. I actually had to run away from one lady who insisted on petting her. I even went behind a door and she was still putting her arm through the door to pet her.

I need to learn to be more assertive, and change my brain that I am being assertive for her, not for me.

could we perhaps muzzle that woman for life instead :headsmack: I might not have been able to bite my tongue - I tend to get a little irate when people accost my animals :shrug:

you did the right thing by leaving and defusing the situation :hug2:

Izzy looks so content in her puppy cave :heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Danita, that really stinks! Some people just don't get it and have no common sense. :sadhug:

A shirt like that may be a good idea for you to wear when you take her out. Even if it doesn't stop people like that lady it may help you if they want to complain.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Wow - a lot of people are gutsy and rude! I would never go up to a strange dog and just touch it - especially without owners consent.

It's common sense...

Has your trainer recommended walking Izzy in her Muzzle for awhile? Maybe then people won't just go rushing up to her. It sure does look scary, but it's for her safety, and may give you the space you need.

Fynn's going to be muzzle & leash at home tonight - my nieces (7 years old & 6 months) are coming over after swimming, and Fynn is SO anxious around kids. He'll come out for a few sessions while they are over to see how he reacts. The trainer suggested having Julie (oldest) stand behind a chair or have some sort of furniture inbetween so he's not so anxious. Does Izzy get anxious around kids?

I think Izzy and Fynn are Kismet twins from different mothers :)

She looks SO comfy in her crate - she'll definitely see it as her safe space. She'll bury bones there, bring her favourite toys to hang out...it's all good :)

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I'm taking in everything that you are saying Danita. With having an even younger GS puppy soon, I know we'll be out and people will be drawn to him and want to pet him. My husband and I are are going to try to prevent people from just sticking their hands in his face to pet him, but your situation Danita is proof that people come out of nowhere and have absolultely no common sense.

Hang in their Danita. You're doing a great job. Training dogs takes diligence and commitment and you will start seeing results :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Train in the back yard, then the front yard then you can try a short walk. While you have her and until she is trained your attention must be focused on her. You have a lot of heart and now are learning a few of the basic working behaviors to use with a dog that is fearful and can show aggression. Been there done that as I have mentioned before.

Gosh, I take my cattle dog now out in public. He does NOT want to be petted by strangers. First, I don't let them close enough. Second, they are not sure about a dog without a tail and eye lids partially down...the look does not say COME PET ME. The worst are people who THINK they know dogs. The dog is on a leash, you have control and you can step in front of the dog and tell the person no. To go further they would have to touch you and that then could be called assault on you

Your dog is young. Get the training done while she is so impressionable and allow her to grow into being a friendly dog. This lady was no friend and quite rude and has no dog manners. Have a phrase to use when idiots such as this approach you. You can say she is a dog in training, does not like strangers. You also can turn around and immediately walk the other way to break off your dogs intensity and need to defend or hide. Just remove both of yourselves from the situation.

Have fun and play in the yard. You will then both learn to relax. It is hard to not get uptight in public...I know. But, training in a quiet fun atmosphere does help build confidence. :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

could we perhaps muzzle that woman for life instead :headsmack: I might not have been able to bite my tongue - I tend to get a little irate when people accost my animals :shrug:

you did the right thing by leaving and defusing the situation :hug2:

Izzy looks so content in her puppy cave :heart:
I was really mad, but when she threatened me I didn't know if what she was saying was true. So to save Izzy from a life time of muzzle I :zipped1: Now I know she can't do anything, it is actually me who can do something because she was verbally assaulting me and was in my space, she could of easily been trying to accost me or steal stuff, who am I to know, she came up behind us and Izzy was defending me.

I am so sorry Danita, maybe you can get Izzy a shirt like this STOP Please don't pet me I'm working Pet Clothing from Zazzle.com you can also get something similar for yourself to wear when you train with her :hug8::hug8::hug8:
That is a great idea!

Oh Danita, that really stinks! Some people just don't get it and have no common sense. :sadhug:

A shirt like that may be a good idea for you to wear when you take her out. Even if it doesn't stop people like that lady it may help you if they want to complain.
I had to have my husband go out with us last night, I was getting really nervous of people coming at us.

Wow - a lot of people are gutsy and rude! I would never go up to a strange dog and just touch it - especially without owners consent.

It's common sense...

Has your trainer recommended walking Izzy in her Muzzle for awhile? Maybe then people won't just go rushing up to her. It sure does look scary, but it's for her safety, and may give you the space you need.

Fynn's going to be muzzle & leash at home tonight - my nieces (7 years old & 6 months) are coming over after swimming, and Fynn is SO anxious around kids. He'll come out for a few sessions while they are over to see how he reacts. The trainer suggested having Julie (oldest) stand behind a chair or have some sort of furniture inbetween so he's not so anxious. Does Izzy get anxious around kids?

I think Izzy and Fynn are Kismet twins from different mothers :)

She looks SO comfy in her crate - she'll definitely see it as her safe space. She'll bury bones there, bring her favourite toys to hang out...it's all good :)
She thinks we should muzzle train her because it is good for the dog to be comfortable with one on, if she ever needs to.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
BTW I went out and left her in her crate and she was so so so good!!!!
Izzy really wants to be a good girl, she totally is in :heart: with me. She was trying so hard to be good on a leash today, she knew we had a bad day yesterday.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do so hope it is all going the right way for you all now. There is so much work involved in training a puppy isn't there? They are great though once they have got over the initial ground work don't you think? they are lucky to have found you to sort out the wrinkles! Good luck.:hug8:

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri

She thinks we should muzzle train her because it is good for the dog to be comfortable with one on, if she ever needs to.
It is definitely good for fearful dogs to be muzzle trained. Especially since she will most likely need to be muzzled at the vet's office. It can save her an extra bit of stress if she is already used to one.

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Izzy really wants to be a good girl, she totally is in :heart: with me. She was trying so hard to be good on a leash today, she knew we had a bad day yesterday.
Fynn is totally going to ask Izzy out :D They try so hard!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I'm taking in everything that you are saying Danita. With having an even younger GS puppy soon, I know we'll be out and people will be drawn to him and want to pet him. My husband and I are are going to try to prevent people from just sticking their hands in his face to pet him, but your situation Danita is proof that people come out of nowhere and have absolultely no common sense.

Hang in their Danita. You're doing a great job. Training dogs takes diligence and commitment and you will start seeing results :hug8:
I hope you learn from my mistakes! I bet you have no problem, your little one will be socialized. When Izzy is antsy it is very obvious she is a german shepherd, she looks exactly like a dog working at the airport, police etc.. She was playing with my husband last night and she was so natural at jumping and grabbing his arm.

Train in the back yard, then the front yard then you can try a short walk. While you have her and until she is trained your attention must be focused on her. You have a lot of heart and now are learning a few of the basic working behaviors to use with a dog that is fearful and can show aggression. Been there done that as I have mentioned before.

Gosh, I take my cattle dog now out in public. He does NOT want to be petted by strangers. First, I don't let them close enough. Second, they are not sure about a dog without a tail and eye lids partially down...the look does not say COME PET ME. The worst are people who THINK they know dogs. The dog is on a leash, you have control and you can step in front of the dog and tell the person no. To go further they would have to touch you and that then could be called assault on you

Your dog is young. Get the training done while she is so impressionable and allow her to grow into being a friendly dog. This lady was no friend and quite rude and has no dog manners. Have a phrase to use when idiots such as this approach you. You can say she is a dog in training, does not like strangers. You also can turn around and immediately walk the other way to break off your dogs intensity and need to defend or hide. Just remove both of yourselves from the situation.

Have fun and play in the yard. You will then both learn to relax. It is hard to not get uptight in public...I know. But, training in a quiet fun atmosphere does help build confidence. :hug8:
Thanks!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
From everything you've said about her, Danita, she sounds like a real sweetheart and will make you proud one day after all the training has worked it's good results and she's no longer a puppy. I am looking forward to those happy updates! :hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think Izzy is going to be a great dog for you. :hug8:

When I take Gracie, my young boxer/lab mix out, I use a halti on her. It looks enough like a muzzle to deter most people from being idiots about approaching her. Also, she's black, and people tend to treat black dogs with a lot more caution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.