• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~Update Post 145~ on our two German Shepherd Pups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Well, well, well...

I have quickly learned that the pups were not socialized properly at the right age.

I had to get private training for them as they were fearful and barking, or lunging out of fear. Then my daughters pup actually bit someone! I have been taking Izzy to work then she started to get very barky at the residents and lunging a bit.

Apparently, picking a puppy, you should choose a friendly, people loving dog. Both mine were hiding behind the breeder :(. I thought it was no problem, as my recently passed away dog was fearful too and we had a wonderful dog. :(

I had to get the trainer to teach us how to fix it!

Imagine having two aggressive German Shepherds?

So now we have to take total control over them. The main thing right now is to teach them three things, focus (look at me), their name so that when they hear it they stop everything and look at me, then the third thing is to back away. When we are approaching something that makes their ears perk forward, we turn them around and have them focus on us.

The goal is for them to look for us to solve any worries rather then them feeling they have to deal with it themselves. We are in control. I have Izzy tied to me at work all day now, so i can quickly refocus her to me if needed.

Today is day two and she has only had one outburst, yesterday there were four, last week it was all the time. So we are getting better!

I am clicker queen now with a treat bag on me and a clicker around my neck at all times.

Any input from others with the same experiences?

I didnt email Vicki as the problems were much bigger then email answers lol

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I also want to add that the problem really escalated as people kept coming at the pups to pet them, and they were staring right at them, so now I cant let anyone look at them or attempt to pet them.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: Sounds like you are doing great with them! German Shephards are rather large dogs so it's definitely good to get the behaviour fixed early.

My mom had 2 VERY aggressive shephard/rottie mixes. If anyone entered the house they did not know, they would attack. Even if my mom was there and let them in the dogs would still flip out. She had to crate them whenever people came over. I had to be slowly introduced to them over a period of a few months so I could visit without fear of being bit. It was awful! They attacked my grandmother and grandfather actually taking bites out of them!
Unfortunately my mom just claimed they were protecting their home and never sought any training. She still has one of the dogs but in her old age she has calmed down considerably.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Yikes Crystal!

I would never want to live like that with a dog.

I am supposed to use a crate now but I feel so darned bad putting her in, i havent gotten her all the way in. I am such a softee :(

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had that issue but with a smaller dog, we ended up having to put her down. She was never socialized as a pup, was paranoid of the outdoors. She would attack anyone and even attacked me as a puppy. I did the training, like you, wearing treats on me and I worked with her constantly. Sadly, it did not help stop her from wanting to attack ppl. She was at risk of really injuring someone, especially a child. My dog's mental problems were much worse than yours I think. Be consistent, thats the important thing. I had company one day, he sat down on my couch and before I could put my dog in another room, she was at his face, it was scary. I'm so glad you are working with them. Staring at a dog in the eyes is telling them that you are ready to challenge them and take them on. They will do great in your care. My chelsea was psychologically beyond help, we sought all types of help. You are going to be a great shepard mama.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yikes Crystal!

I am supposed to use a crate now but I feel so darned bad putting her in, i havent gotten her all the way in. I am such a softee :(

I personally believe that crate training is very important.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I know, i know
I should be doing the crate training.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
:hug8:
I definitely agree that it's important to pick puppies that seem even-tempered and curious but someone ends up with the pups who aren't and it's good when they go to someone responsible who will address any issues they may develop. It sounds like you are already doing the right things, just keep it up and you should both have wonderful, well adjusted adult Shepherds in time. :heart:
I'm glad you sought help too, it can be a tough thing to deal with on your own with a powerful breed.

Honestly, I don't know about you but having the experience, patience, and kindness to work with a bird really helped me out when I needed to start training my dogs. They are different but they are also fairly similar. Peanut and Petie were so much alike; if I could convince the persistently headstrong lovebird, who has her own very clear ideas of what she should and should not be doing, to actually do what I wanted her to do with gentile guidance I could easily do it with the independent minded rottymutt. He was just as stubborn and not nearly as grumpy! He also wouldn't fly off once he was bored of me, though that would have been a sight to see.

Good luck! :hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Yikes Crystal!

Actually once she gets used to the crate she will love it. Honestly, my mom had the same problem, never wanted to crate her dogs. Thought it was mean. But after awhile all she had to do was say "mom's going to work" and they would run in there. Even when my mom was home and their crate was open they would go in it to nap or relax. Same with my other friends with crated dogs. It becomes their safe haven, kind of like a cage for a bird. My birds cages are always open when I am home and yet half the time they are hanging out inside the cage not outside, lol

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Think of the crate as their comfy bedroom where no one will bother them. My Kitana was crate trained, and she very quickly learned to LOVE her crate. Have a high value treat that they only get in their crate. How much time do they spend together? They can reinforce each others fears, not a good thing.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My brother crate trained his shepard and labs. At night, the shepard wouldn't sleep anywhere but in the crate. It became her safe zone. I never did crate train my small dog, now when we have to put him in one to go traveling or the vet he cries and can't take it. I really regret that, cause he see's it as punishment.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I wish I had advice, but I'm a total dog novice. It sounds like you have great help though and it's great that you caught on early!! :) Best of luck with your two cuties :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
The two have very little time together now. When they are together, they compete, like who can outdo the other, who gives the biggest greetings, who jumps the highest, who has the best toy, who gets the treat first, who eats faster :lol:

I absolutely can not take the two out together, it is a recipe for disaster.

I am home from work and she still only had one outburst. Apparently, each outburst is a rehearsal for long time behaviors. The trainer also explained that we always want the girls to be in the front 'thinking' part of their brain, not the 'fight or flight' part. The quicker we can get them to the thinking area, and keep them there, the more control we have them under.

Okay, how to begin crate training? Tips? I don't want to just shove her in there :( and let her cry it out. Apparently they were crate trained as pups.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I had a miserable time at my sisters in December when I went for my nephew's wedding because her GS was extremely aggressive. I essentially could not go anywhere in the house unless she was crated, and even then she barked and lunged every time I walked past her crate. They think she's great and I vowed that I will stay in a hotel the next time I go. I am sorry your having problems with them.

Ginger

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I had a miserable time at my sisters in December when I went for my nephew's wedding because her GS was extremely aggressive. I essentially could not go anywhere in the house unless she was crated, and even then she barked and lunged every time I walked past her crate. They think she's great and I vowed that I will stay in a hotel the next time I go. I am sorry your having problems with them.

Ginger
Did they go through training and behavior modification?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Danita when our male shepherd was a pup he was crate trained (read very large condo crate :) ) and he would go in by himself sometimes when the door was open. As long as it is a big crate I dont think there is anything wrong with it in the context you need to use it.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
She was sent away to school for six weeks and my sister said that was what ruined her. But I don't know anything about the training itself.

Ginger

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Okay, how to begin crate training? Tips? I don't want to just shove her in there :( and let her cry it out. Apparently they were crate trained as pups.
With Kitana, we started off with a Verikennel, I hated it and so did she. Went and got a wire crate and made that the only place she would get her milk bone type treat, I would shut the door till she was done and for a few minutes after. It took about a week for her to be more than willing to stay in her crate.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
This is very important. The most important thing is that they are allowed to be heard when they are afraid, never pushed or forced. The same as with birds. I'm sorry that they are so fearful. I live with several very fearful dogs and specialize in fearful dogs and it can be very challenging. In fact, I am teaching a new Marshmallow class tonight for fearful and shy dogs. Helping these dogs through their issues is very rewarding.

I also want to add that the problem really escalated as people kept coming at the pups to pet them, and they were staring right at them, so now I cant let anyone look at them or attempt to pet them.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Leave the crates open so that they can come and go as they please. Give them treats and stuffed kongs and chewies in there. Make is a great place to be. Feed meals in there. I am liking what your training is advising. I am glad because so many trainers try to use compulsion and punishment and really don't understand how to work with fearful and aggressive dogs.

The two have very little time together now. When they are together, they compete, like who can outdo the other, who gives the biggest greetings, who jumps the highest, who has the best toy, who gets the treat first, who eats faster :lol:

I absolutely can not take the two out together, it is a recipe for disaster.

I am home from work and she still only had one outburst. Apparently, each outburst is a rehearsal for long time behaviors. The trainer also explained that we always want the girls to be in the front 'thinking' part of their brain, not the 'fight or flight' part. The quicker we can get them to the thinking area, and keep them there, the more control we have them under.

Status
Not open for further replies.