• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~Update Post 145~ on our two German Shepherd Pups

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura

I hope you learn from my mistakes! I bet you have no problem, your little one will be socialized. When Izzy is antsy it is very obvious she is a german shepherd, she looks exactly like a dog working at the airport, police etc.. She was playing with my husband last night and she was so natural at jumping and grabbing his arm.
I wouldn't say you've made mistakes Danita ... Izzy was not socialized properly and you're doing everything you can to turn the situation around. You're being a great doggie parent!

Greytfeather

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keri
A suggestion to try for when idiots are yelling and escalating, such as what the idiot woman had done...

It is usual as we get upset to raise our voices ourselves in face of such conflict. Lowering your voice to almost a whisper can sometimes help the situation from escalating. Another trick is to state a simple sentence in monotone. No explanations, no excuses, just a simple phrase while booking it outta there.

Agreed, that some people have NO dog manners!

(I learned these tricks while working in college at a home for developmentally disabled children. Had to keep it cool once and keep calm when one of the kids decked me in the public library on an outing.)

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Idiot people. My advice is to order Izzy a custom made vest with a patch that says, "Dog in Training, Please Don't Touch" or something like that. My friend had one made that said, "I am afraid. Please don't try to touch me". I am sorry that happened. I know it is hard not to be hypervigilant and you do have to be to some extent, but you will get used to automatically just crossing the street, increasing distance from triggers, etc. Believe me, living with several very fearful reactive dogs I know and it gets more manageable to manage:) And, Izzy didn't bite someone so while of course we know she potentially could, she hasn't yet, and now you know you just have to watch super carefully in all directions. But, I do recommend you get the jacket. I am also going to recommend you join the Yahoogroup called Shy-K9s. It is a great group of people and I learned so much from them. Also, check out Debbie Jacob's site (Fearful Dogs | Positive help for fearful, shy & anxious dogs) and consider getting her book, lots of great information. I just wanted to add that Bill, my cattle dog was explosive, just highly reactive with all dogs, people and environmental changes. He was hyper vigilant at all times out of the house. He will be 8 now and he has come so far. He gets better and better all the time. I started doing K9 Nose Work with him and recently took him to a group (yes, group) class:) It takes time, it is hard work, but incredibly rewarding. Here is Bill doing nose work in a group class with strangers present:) Try to stay strong. You can do it:)

ridiculousboxes82611 036.jpg

Yesterday was a yucky day, but today started out pretty good!Yesterday I was walking her and training, I had my back to Izzy while picking up some treats that were missed. She had about 3-4 feet of leash, anyway, a woman came up from behind, surprised BOTH of us and shoved her hand in Izzy's face. Well of course, WRONG thing to do to her. She lunged and barked at the woman. Then the woman goes crazy, she said she was going to call 911 on me and have the dog put down, have it muzzled, she was going on and on. I told her to ask next time she shoves a hand in a dogs face! THEN she threatened me and said she will call 911 on me, so I shut up, she threatened that Izzy would have to wear a muzzle for the rest of her life. Then she walked up the block yelling "watch out for that viscious dog, you are going to get bit, she can't control it!!" then she was calling me a Bi--h :( Izzy just lunged and barked. That woman just went crazy. Honestly, I think she is unstable and her feelings were hurt when she put her hand in a puppies face and it hated her. I went home and :cry: :cry: :cry: then called the city to find out what determines a vicious dog, she has to bite a person first. Then I called the trainer and cried :(Then today, I bit the bullet and brought up a crate from storage. Guess what? She goes right in it and lies down :lol: She loves it. :DI think Izzy is picking up on my stress now, I need to take her to quiet places to train. Its just that she is a beautiful dog and an obvious puppy so people are drawn to her. It is almost automatic that people put their hands out to a dog. I actually had to run away from one lady who insisted on petting her. I even went behind a door and she was still putting her arm through the door to pet her.I need to learn to be more assertive, and change my brain that I am being assertive for her, not for me.

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry. :( I understand the lady being scared, but common sense is to not shove yourself into an unfamiliar dog's face! What was she thinking?!

I'm glad you had a better day today. :hug8: And I'm glad she loves her crate so much!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So sorry you are having these negative experiences Dotty. My mum in law went up to a labrador tied up outside a shop some few years ago and put out her hand to stroke it. Of course it bit her badly and she ended up in Casualty and having to have her wedding ring cut off and stitches in her finger. She admitted it was a stupid thing for her to do and the people who owned the dog were so sorry that she had never done that to anyone before. Thing is it took her by surprise and from a complete stanger. It is not the dogs we have to train but the humans!:)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I went to our second class this week, this time there was another dog there. The combination of a strange warehouse type room, tons of smells, a strange dog that kept looking at her and the trainer was too much for Izzy. She was barking and lunging the whole time. I really don't think that was good for her at all, she was just rehearsing, rehearsing that behavior and we were both really upset by the time we left. I was so stressed out.

Is this desensitizing?

She is so high strung now, last night she barely slept.

I have been sort of desensitizing her slowly to the neighborhood with short walks, but there really has been no improvement, she is just a nervous nelly. Plus she was sort of living in a plastic bubble. Now she cries even more because she is so dependent on me.

This week, I am going to try it the old fashioned way, not get stressed about it. I am getting her out at 6 am, taking her on super fast, long 5 km walks around oceans and neighborhoods and parks. I am going to walk past other dogs, and people and not cross the street because she 'might' bark.

My husband and daughter think I am reading too much into it and stressing for no reason, which may be rubbing off on her.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if she would be more secure if she walked with her brother? My Raven is very fearful and if I walk her with my daughters dog she is much more secure. She even stood still and watched a horse and rider pass by us. That was a surprise.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I wonder if she would be more secure if she walked with her brother? My Raven is very fearful and if I walk her with my daughters dog she is much more secure. She even stood still and watched a horse and rider pass by us. That was a surprise.
No :lol:
If they saw another dog or someone they didn't like, it would be double trouble :eek:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Danita,

We bought Walky Dogs last week (one arrived yesterday...the other hopefully today!) so the dogs can bike with us...we find when we run past people/dogs/anything that causes Fynn the Kettle to whine, he concentrates more on moving ahead rather than looking back. It really sucks, as we did this three times last night, and hid from 3 dogs so he wouldn't do the barky/scary dog act. I'll post here as to how he does on the bike with triggers - Husband will take Fynn on his, as I won't be able to stay upright if he tries to bolt!

We are supposed to do an about face when we see a trigger, but in the city, that's REALLY difficult. We did find a new path which has one new apartment building on it, and very little people/dog traffic - it's much easier to keep him happy and pull him over to feed him treats while triggers pass us. He did 50/50 when they did pass us last night, so an improvement. I know the stress you're going through, and I'm pretty sure Fynn feels it from me. Husband would be bad to walk him as he has less patience than I do. I get less embarrassed about the insecurity than he does.

He also walks better alone, however, Husband doesn't want to walk Gideon alone (I need to hold his hand??), so I just use Gideon & Husband as a side barrier when we pass triggers and feed Fynn his dinner along the way :).

We also started him on a low dose anti-anxiety natural liquid (I have to find the name...Imrex maybe?) as our trainer feels he may benefit...I'll see if in another 4 days (1 week after starting) we see any improvement.

I feel your pain! Fist pump to working together apart :)

Once we find a Bistro table set for the front porch, we'll be hanging outside with the pups after work, so hopefully that will help Fynn get desensitized & realize that dogs/runners/kids aren't going to get him.

I can see the dog in a strange area with Izzy being really scary for her. Maybe in a month or two?

Give her some head scratches for me!

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
I went to our second class this week, this time there was another dog there. The combination of a strange warehouse type room, tons of smells, a strange dog that kept looking at her and the trainer was too much for Izzy. She was barking and lunging the whole time. I really don't think that was good for her at all, she was just rehearsing, rehearsing that behavior and we were both really upset by the time we left. I was so stressed out.

Is this desensitizing?

She is so high strung now, last night she barely slept.

I have been sort of desensitizing her slowly to the neighborhood with short walks, but there really has been no improvement, she is just a nervous nelly. Plus she was sort of living in a plastic bubble. Now she cries even more because she is so dependent on me.

This week, I am going to try it the old fashioned way, not get stressed about it. I am getting her out at 6 am, taking her on super fast, long 5 km walks around oceans and neighborhoods and parks. I am going to walk past other dogs, and people and not cross the street because she 'might' bark.

My husband and daughter think I am reading too much into it and stressing for no reason, which may be rubbing off on her.

I worry that since it's only your second class, that this is less desensitization and more flooding, and that is NOT what you want to do. They way it sounds with Izzy is that your best bet is having her desensitized to walking past and ignoring strange dogs, and having her shut into a strange room with a stranger dog and strange person does not seem like the best way to go. maybe ask your trainer if you can do dog desensitization OUTSIDE so your pup doesnt feel trapped, and that way you can also move away if you feel you need to.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
You are right, it does sound like flooding :(

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Thanks for sharing your experience with me Crystal. Yuck that you have to walk them together. Walky dogs look cool!

I just wanted a dog that I could toss a ball, swim, travel, walk, treat, cuddle, shop, beaches, go to patios with, just like my other dogs :(
I know how that sounds, it's the same with birds, you never know what you are going to get, but it super sucks that this is all because she wasn't socialized.

She is a big love bug at home. :heart:

Danita,

We bought Walky Dogs last week (one arrived yesterday...the other hopefully today!) so the dogs can bike with us...we find when we run past people/dogs/anything that causes Fynn the Kettle to whine, he concentrates more on moving ahead rather than looking back. It really sucks, as we did this three times last night, and hid from 3 dogs so he wouldn't do the barky/scary dog act. I'll post here as to how he does on the bike with triggers - Husband will take Fynn on his, as I won't be able to stay upright if he tries to bolt!

We are supposed to do an about face when we see a trigger, but in the city, that's REALLY difficult. We did find a new path which has one new apartment building on it, and very little people/dog traffic - it's much easier to keep him happy and pull him over to feed him treats while triggers pass us. He did 50/50 when they did pass us last night, so an improvement. I know the stress you're going through, and I'm pretty sure Fynn feels it from me. Husband would be bad to walk him as he has less patience than I do. I get less embarrassed about the insecurity than he does.

He also walks better alone, however, Husband doesn't want to walk Gideon alone (I need to hold his hand??), so I just use Gideon & Husband as a side barrier when we pass triggers and feed Fynn his dinner along the way :).

We also started him on a low dose anti-anxiety natural liquid (I have to find the name...Imrex maybe?) as our trainer feels he may benefit...I'll see if in another 4 days (1 week after starting) we see any improvement.

I feel your pain! Fist pump to working together apart :)

Once we find a Bistro table set for the front porch, we'll be hanging outside with the pups after work, so hopefully that will help Fynn get desensitized & realize that dogs/runners/kids aren't going to get him.

I can see the dog in a strange area with Izzy being really scary for her. Maybe in a month or two?

Give her some head scratches for me!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Danita, I have been reading this thread on and off. Personally, I think you can train your dogs more effectively yourself. Some of these people that call themselves trainers honestly dont know **** about what they are doing and do more harm than good.:( You are an animal person, you are in tune with your pets. You will figure it out and get them to acclimate, I know you will.
I dont like the sound of these classes.

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
I know how you feel, I wanted the same thing when adopting my dog (who we were told LOVES the water and was good with other dogs) and got a super dog aggressive dog who thinks the beach is hell on earth! we're lucky that shes good with people but that doesnt mean she doesnt scare them when she freaks out on their dogs =/
also i would maybe shop around for a new trainer, who is strictly positive reinforcement and specializes in aggressive, reactive, and fearful dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.