• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh African Grey Experience

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yay.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks everyone. Will probably pick him up this weekend after work. Clearing out the space for his cage this week.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks everyone!

So in preparation of his arrival, im trying to get together anything that he might like. I'm talking with his foster mom on favorite treats and toys, but is there anything your greys like that I can try with him?

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just got his info sheet his former owners gave to the rescue. He is between 16-17 years old and went through a few homes before his previous home of 15 years. He was rehomes due to biting, however his latest owner only had issues with that around the cage and during hormones.

They said he has always had a tendency to pluck, particularly when stressed or upset, or sometimes when traveling in the car. When I first met him he had all his feathers, save for a few he plucked on the way to the rescue; which was a ten hour drive. I am hoping we can alleviate that as much as we can.

The care sheet said he will try mostly anything, but his favorite treats are nuts. I am a little concerned as it seems he was given a lot of nuts frequently, including pine nuts, almonds, and walnuts and safflower seed almost daily. I know Greys are prone to arteriosclerosis, so I will have to be sure to limit his nut intake and get him to the vet for blood work.

He loves to chew and shred and laughs while watching tv. They didn't say if he was ever DNA sexed.

I have to work this weekend but I might be able to pick him up Sunday.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats5:, got a old phonebook laying around, makes a good shredding toy

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
IMG_6754.JPG

Harley's home! He did really well on the ride back, even though his former mom said he got car sick sometimes and might pluck.

He is such a good imitator. I went to turn the truck on but didn't press the start down completely, so it made its three warning beeps. He added in a fourth. It sounded exactly like the truck beep, so much so that I would have thought it was if it wasn't for my girlfriend confirming it was him!

I learned on the car ride back he has multiple different laughs, ranging from an evil sounding laugh to a mild chuckle. He came out of his carrier just fine and sat on a t-stand while I set the cage up.

After reading more of his backstory I am a little concerned about his former diet. I was told her was given cooked eggs three to four times a week, pine nuts, walnut, and peanuts daily. I'll mention this to the vet when he goes.

I'll keep everyone updated and post more pictures as I take them!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Huge congrats to you ....you will love living with a Grey ...I wouldn't worry to much about the nuts being fed on a daily basis ...for a Grey he is still young and I feel nuts are part of a healthy diet ...I feed mine tree nuts daily not peanuts but others Brazil , Almonds, Pine , Walnuts , ect... if you soak them it brings out the nutrients even more ...here is a Tree Nut Guide granted its based on ounce for ounce and my birds don't get nearly that much but it gives you an idea what nuts add to a diet ... ihttp://www.almonds.com/sites/default/files/content/Tree%20Nut%20Nutrient%20Comparison%20Chart%20Web%20File.pdf ...so I wouldn't discount giving nuts in your diet once you decide what kind of diet you want to give ...also some eggs can add protein to a diet ...I feed boiled egg every week to every 2 weeks ....when you feed a whole fresh food diet like I do there are things like nuts /seed/grains/eggs ect with fruits and veggies that are given to round out the diet ....make sure that you add these extra things with a pelleted diet too along with veggies and fruit ... :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks for the link @Tyrion! I think what I am worried about most is that he had too many nuts in his previous home, and that that may negatively effect his health. I will still be offering nuts as treats and in foraging toys for sure. Same with egg, he actually got some this morning and loved it! Ate every last bit of it, in fact. My concern with that is his former owner gave him egg three times a week, so I felt that might have been excessive. My flock usually gets egg on the same frequency as yours, about every two weeks or so.

As for his diet, I would like to transition him to Harrison's in the day with a fresh mix of chop in the evenings. Chop usually consists of brussell sprouts, bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, with additions of different fruits and veggies such as brocolli, cauliflower, apples, banana, grapes, kale, dandelion, chard, mango, papaya, pomegranate, dragonfruit, coconut, jicama, and whatever bird safe fruit and veggies I can find! We make a few quarts of finely cut chop in the food processor and freeze, and mix that in or alternate with fresh rough cut chop daily. We also do soak and simmers, sweet potato, eggs, and a little seed.

Some interesting observations today. He started making his noises again, including his laugh, whistles, car beeps, microwave beep, meows (after you ask what does a kitty say), among many other household items. He was whistling back and forth upstairs and my Senegal started to get really excited, whistling back and making lots of noise; which is unusual for him. He normally isn't interested in new things or other birds (usually scare him, in fact), but he really perked up when he heard Harley.
He wanted to come out today, and hung out with me for about an hour and a half. He alternated from the t-stand to my hand. He hasn't eaten much of his pellets, but did pick at his diner of sweet potato, snap peas, grapes, and pomegranate. He played with his corks for a little today as well.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I love how bright and intelligent his eye looks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He definitely has a smart look too him. Like any second now he's about to say something perfectly in context.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
He definitely has a smart look too him. Like any second now he's about to say something perfectly in context.
Or give his doctoral dissertation or dismantle his cage.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'm waiting for the day!

He is progressing already on fresh chop and pellets. He is hesitant to try anything new but will readily do so if I eat it with him...yes I know what a Harrison's pellet tastes like, and can put on a happy face and act like it's the best thing in the world. He was only given dried fruits in his former home and veggies from time to time, so he hasn't had many fresh veggies and fruits before.

He picks up sounds like crazy, it's amazing. Microwave going off, other birds calls, whistles. I'm in love with him already :).

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
An update on Harley. Unfortunately it seems that he chewed/plucked a few feathers today, as I see little grey pieces of feather and some down on the bottom of the cage and one whole feather. I can't tell if that was a regularly molted feather or if he bit it off at the quill or played with the quill after it fell out, blunting the end and giving it a chewed look. The spot on his left shoulder is also a little worse. Besides the few down feathers that I've found the last few days, I think this is the first instance of chewing/picking since we brought him home. I am wondering if it has to do with my work schedule between Wednesday/Thursdays. I work afternoon shift of Wednesday followed by early morning (6a) Thursday, thus I don't see the flock from 130p Wednesday until 4:30pm Thursday. My girlfriend takes care of the flock solo on Wednesday nights. The rest of the birds are used to this schedule, but this is the first time Harley has seen it. I wonder if her was getting upset since he didn't see me since yesterday afternoon? He had several foraging toys in his cage and judging by how quick he figured them out, he is a smart guy! Hopefully he gets used to my schedule soon and doesn't pluck or pick anymore.

On a good note, he was interested in showering yesterday. I took him in the shower with me and he perched on the curtain rod. He was hesitant at first but after he saw me playing in the water and dunking my head he wanted to come down and investigate. He eventually allowed himself to get a little wet.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He should get use to your schedule the longer he is with you ...the plucking dosent have to be about anything except what he thinks its about ...your home is still so very new to him and the whole stress of moving and being in a new home with new people would be the biggest trigger right now for sure ...they pluck for all sorts of reasons I would think it has to do more about the move than just your schedule ....baths are good for plucking helps the skin ....I would try these teas from GreyWood Manor Cool and Soothe | Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions, Animals, Tea, Herbal and Pretty Plume | Greywood Manor Tea & Provisions, Animals, Tea, Herbal ...I have heard nothing but good things about these helping plucking ...I would also say you should join Log into Facebook | Facebook and talk to Jason Crean about the teas and diet ...I use some other of his teas for preventive care for my birds and they love them ...I mix them in the mash or make actual tea for them :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
That is very true, everything is new and he's gone through a lot of change in the past few months. It's good to be reminded of that, because he has kinda fit right into the routine around here. He is already eating his Harrison's pellets and tries more and eats more chop everyday. His former owner used to use a spray bottle and mist him for showers, so we tried that today and he seemed to enjoy it. After his spray shower he tried to bathe in his water bowl, although he could only fit his head in.

Thanks for the link to Greywood Manor and Jason Crean's page. I joined the Facebook group already and will post about the teas and general diet recommendations. For the teas you posted, how often do you use them and how long does a package last? I don't know much about teas for parrots but have seen several mixes on a few sites I visit, so they seem to be pretty popular.