• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh African Grey Experience

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
So we were hanging out with the parrot rescue we volunteer with today and there were a couple foster/adoptable birds there. A newer Timneh Grey was there that I had met when he was first surrendered about a month ago, but never interacted with outside the cage. He was pretty friendly and would step up for mostly everyone, but would not let anyone pet him and according to his foster mom does not particularly enjoy scritches.
Well I decided to see how he felt about it with me and 'lo and behold he wanted me to scritch him for two hours. He sat in my lap with his head down and I pet him for the entire meeting. He started to regurgitate a few times so I eased up when that happened, but he wanted my attention the entire day. He would go to anyone afterwards, but was always looking for me. He would come back to me and fluff his feathers and tuck his foot up on my hand.
Poor guy had started plucking after I first met him and unfortunately his entire chest was bald. He was such a sweet bird and of course I started to fall for him. Everyone commented on how surprised they were that I could pet him and for how long. His size really surprised me the first time I met him. I knew the TAG's are smaller than the CAG's, but I didn't realize how much of a difference. He meows like a cat and has this hilarious laugh. His foster mom says he also says hello and be quiet. He was the first Grey I have really interacted with and man he's really drawn me in.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Well what are you waiting for. It sounds like the poor guy wants to go home with you.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Well what are you waiting for. It sounds like the poor guy wants to go home with you.
Congratulations! He picked you!
That's what I'm afraid/excited for! I wasn't particularly ready for a Grey yet and with my flock size where it's at it could be a bit of a challenge. I don't have any experience with Grey's, just smaller parrots and Eclectus. His current foster family says he is pretty laid back and he is 15 years old.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He is particular in that he does not like being scritched when he s perched on your hand, only on your lap or when he is on a flatter surface. He was so cute though, and his laugh was hilarious. He laughed in context to things, it was great.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I saw you with him briefly and said to your gf that I thought you were going to be adding a new bird to your flock soon. :D Clearly, he is supposed to be with you.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Michelle, you're not the first person to say that after yesterday, haha.

I'm considering it. I don't know what size cage is he is currently, so I'll need to look at space requirements. I'm talking with his foster mom now to see how he's doing.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, Timnehs are awesome birds! :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
As Danita said, those Timmies can be feisty! They love the ones they own fiercely as well. Congratulations on being chosen! There is nothing like having a TAG in your life!:heart:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He is beautiful :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He's definitely captured a piece of my heart, that's for sure. @sunnysmom, she says I'm not allowed to go to events anymore haha :roflmao:.

There is another family looking at him as well, and nothing is decided for sure yet. So we shall see.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's definitely captured a piece of my heart, that's for sure. @sunnysmom, she says I'm not allowed to go to events anymore haha :roflmao:.

There is another family looking at him as well, and nothing is decided for sure yet. So we shall see.
LOL. I understand. When I told the fiancé that there were over 150 cockatiels that needed to be fostered, etc. and said I was thinking about fostering some when the time came, he said- it's completely up to you but let me know when they're gone because I won't be here. :roflmao: I'm pretty sure he was kidding...........

I'm sure if it's meant to be, he'll end up with you. (Which I think he will. :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
LOL. I understand. When I told the fiancé that there were over 150 cockatiels that needed to be fostered, etc. and said I was thinking about fostering some when the time came, he said- it's completely up to you but let me know when they're gone because I won't be here. :roflmao: I'm pretty sure he was kidding...........

I'm sure if it's meant to be, he'll end up with you. (Which I think he will. :)
Haha hey if you're offering to take all of them I'm sure no one would object on our end!

Thank you, I have a feeling he will be with us soon too. Now, where to move that TV to...lol.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
He is definitely gorgeous-I'm a Timneh fan!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Awwww! He seems so sweet. If it's meant to be, I'm sure it'll happen. :xflove:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He looks just like Darby only less goofy and a bit more nervous! :roflmao:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone! So I spoke with his foster mom tonight and it looks like he will be joining the flock soon!

So with that in mind, any advice for my first Grey?
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4: