• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh African Grey Experience

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Thanks for adopting this handsome guy.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Congratulations...........secretly he is plotting the "after the honeymoon" stage, ha ha ha.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Congrats!! I love greys!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Congrats. Thanks for adopting this handsome guy.
Congrats!! I love greys!
Thanks! I fell for him pretty quick :) I've always hoped one day to add a grey to the flock and it turned out this guy decided to pick me.

Congratulations...........secretly he is plotting the "after the honeymoon" stage, ha ha ha.
Haha I am sure you are right! He's thinking of all the trouble he will cause once he feels comfortable and settled.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
That is very true, everything is new and he's gone through a lot of change in the past few months. It's good to be reminded of that, because he has kinda fit right into the routine around here. He is already eating his Harrison's pellets and tries more and eats more chop everyday. His former owner used to use a spray bottle and mist him for showers, so we tried that today and he seemed to enjoy it. After his spray shower he tried to bathe in his water bowl, although he could only fit his head in.

Thanks for the link to Greywood Manor and Jason Crean's page. I joined the Facebook group already and will post about the teas and general diet recommendations. For the teas you posted, how often do you use them and how long does a package last? I don't know much about teas for parrots but have seen several mixes on a few sites I visit, so they seem to be pretty popular.
I buy the 7 oz bags and rotate tea blends normally every other day for the drinkable tea and put a small amount 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon in there mash every day right now I'm using Hormone Havoc ...and I'm seeing a difference in Ghost since I have been doing this he seems abit calmer ...I bought 4 7oz packs and they have lasted me 6 months ...I like them because they are all natural and they have stuff in them that I would try to offer anyways :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
When you put it in their mash, do you use the dry tea or tea that has already been steeped?

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
You are very lucky, not many people get picked by their bird. You are at the start of a journey of a lifetime.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks @Shinobi. I have to say that I am very luck with my flock. My feeling with Harley was almost immediate. I was at the rescue when he was surrendered and was able to spenp some time with him and fed him some treats, trying to get him comfortable. I've always dreamed of having birds in general, especially a Grey. I remember being in elementary school reading a pet magazine with a picture of a Grey on the cover. Flash forward a few weeks and I saw him again at a rescue meeting and was able to hold him that time. I was told he didn't really enjoy head scritches and he hasn't made his meowing sound or talked too much since he came in. I ended up spending the whole day with him as he made his favorite sounds and got head scritches for two hours.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Sounds like Harley got an exceptional home! Congrats!
I love my Timenh!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks @kathyth, we just want the best for him!

Teas are ordered and I have sprouts soaking for next week!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Cool Harley story of the morning.

We're eating breakfast and getting ready to leave for the morning while making foraging toys and snacks for the birds. We're in the kitchen and cutting up an apple to place on skewers for the flock. Harley was on my hand and I hand him a piece of apple. While he's eating it he says "apple". :). I never said the word apple, just handed it to him to see if he'd eat it. I'm sure he got a kick out of the surprise and smile on my face!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We hope so. He was fully feathered a few months ago, so we are hoping there isn't much follicular damage as his picking hasn't been going on consistently for a long period of time. We are working on training, enrichment, and diet to eliminate his plucking/snipping. He will also be going for a full work up at the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a handsome boy!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran