• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking...

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
'"It's obvious that some of the people talking about Temple Gradin no clue who SHE was and how she got started in animal "rights." Or maybe I should say "interests." '

I'd say "captive welfare" probably describes her life's work best. I've read both of her books and seen the movie about her life. But it's not about "her." I only reference her because she's my favorite author in how comprehensive she is in her coverage. She's an ethologist, her books are valuable imo because she references the most up to date studies, coupled with her work as a PhD. She does a great job in presenting animal behavior from a scientific perspective. That's is, in terms of genetics, evolutionary history, breeding for traits, and neurochemistry - to name a few. Her work is insightful and I, for one, have learned a great deal from her. But I have read other books and papers on the subject as well. For example, authors such as Dr. Jaak Panksepp, Jonathan Balcombe PhD, John Marzluff and Tony Angell, to name a few. As authors in the same field, much of their work complements and reinforces the others' and it provides a very complete picture.

As with any subject, (Biology for example) is it about any one author or our collective knowlege? Granted, there have been stand-out poineers in every field.

Last edited:

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
You can keep and breed parrots to acquire something flashy and new, you can acquire multiple birds out of an uncontrolled desire to get new and better things and become a hoarder. Or tell yourself you are rescuing but never adopt anything out until you also are a hoarder. Or you can breed indiscriminately out of desire to raise a cute baby with no regard for the genetics of the parents or the life it will live after. Or you can keep animals to learn more about them, more about yourself, to improve or preserve the species and share that joy with others.
Yes, precisely! You can do a lot of bad when an activity is not regulated. Nothing about parrots is and that's what's so bad about it (and what AR people want to change). And you can certainly keep animals to benefit them and improve their lives and, if you learn more about them and yourself in the process is great (although just starting out with this goal and no other seems quite self-serving and a bit like experimentation, no?). You can also breed to improve an animal that has gotten genetic defects in the 'engineering' process (like conscientious dog breeders are doing) but you can't preserve a wild species when you are breeding them to become pets. It's one thing or the other. Because breeding them to become better pets would take some of the wild genetic traits out of them so they would end up not been the same species (like wild and pet canaries or vicunas and llamas and alpacas, for example). It's what domestication does, isn't it? Change a wild species into a domesticated one that 'does' better for humans.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
“I'm not quite sure where to even begin.’

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! LOL.

One thing that I feel is happening in this thread is that, in an effort to justify the breeding of parrots, the scope of this discussion is ever broadening. For the sake of practicality, it makes it difficult to focus on the point at hand. I have to wonder, and I think it speaks to this justification, that one has to go to such great lengths and stretches. But I enjoy discussions and exchanges and would like to address some of what's being said, but I'll avoid doing so for points made that I feel are purely subjective. For example, use of terms such as a "good (human) home" as it pertains to a wild animal, or the "right person" for that animal...stuff like that that's also been addressed before. Even some of the qualities that make a parrot a "good-pet" because, as I've stated, some of those very qualities create issues in living with them.

A part of what makes it difficult for me to respond, though, to some of your points is that you tend to align things that I feel are very different from each other as one and the same. Below you mention parrot keepers and hunters/conservationists in the same sentence. It's historically true with hunters (as license fees go towards conservation) but I believe that parrot enthusiasts are more motivated to own them than they are to either visit them in the wild or to conserve them (I do not think of a life in perpetual captivity as true conservation). I think I can base this on what I know of the average parrot owner in addition to the lack of a "conservation issues" section on most parrot keeping forums. Nor do I see alot of parrot owners deciding to "roll up their sleeves" and become researchers out in the field, in the name of the academic knowledge you've spoken of. While there is some knowledge to be gained from keeping them captive, they are still under our control. And most scientists agree that the value of studying animals outside of their natural environment is severely limited. You talk about the ignorance of non-parrot owners and their media-promoted misconceptions, as opposed to the knowledge of those living with them. But I can point to so many misconceptions (such as height-dominance) that have been debunked over time, or many of which still persist, precicely because parrot-owners don't avail themselves of scientific or field research. Knowing them only as household pets. Or, because they simply find it easier to relate parrots to what they already understand, such as dogs or human children, and then base husbandry methods accordingly. Although I have to add, it's not always their fault as historically the knowedge of parrots was, and continues to be, lacking.

Another example is my response to one of your initial posts. Due to your personal experience you claimed to not see a difference between a mal-imprinted bird (human raised/co-raised) and a naturally imprinted bird (parent raised). Even though I felt you went on to contradict yourself with your parent-raised parrotlet that didn't want to be a "pet." But I had to point out that there is a biological difference that has a real impact on their future as pets. My posts cannot be all inclusive so, just as you've urged, I must urge people to fact check and use the ideas brought up to research further. But then you called it AR propaganda as well then I thought that was kind of “out of left field.” There's a subjectivity to many viewpoints particularly when it comes to the domesticating of parrots. I’ve always felt that parrot keeping was an unregulated “wild-west” type of environment where, at best, inadvertent selection is probably the most accurate description of what’s taking place. Yes, people can and do claim to be domesticating a species that they are breeding. But they can claim anything they want. And just as you've stated, one BOP breeder may focus on breeding for desirable traits, another may not be. Even where there is regulation practices and attitudes can differ.

“I think its neat when I'm out mowing my lawn and the local fly catchers and even the peaceful sparrows when feeding chicks will follow me around snatching up the bugs I reveal or force into the air. To me this is a natural partnership and I can see how the idea of falconry and partnership with birds could have begun. My point being that its not unnatural for birds to make use of people or for people to enjoy the relationship.”

The latter point equates people making use of birds to "people enjoying the relationship." Hypothetically can the same be said for parrots in the same situation - captivity? Because I know "people" enjoy it. But do birds? Do they enjoy being caged, having a human that can't spend 100% if his time with them, wont mate with them, do they enjoy being bred under artifical conditions, having their baby's taken away....or the myriad of things that constitute a captive life? So I do feel the choice of words, in a "back to square one" kind of way, is the original justification for breeding - I enjoy it.

You recall I mentioned I love gardening and the outdoors (hope my pictures on this forum illustrate this love). So I’ve absolutely noticed the American Robins that show up to pick insects out of my freshly upturned soil. But do I not view this as any kind of endorsement for me to breed parrots (to bring things back on track)….absolutely not. This is a relationship that birds have had with large mammals going back to prehistoric times. Parrots as well, had this symbiosis with large animals that have since gone extinct. But while on the subject, I can point out species such as the passenger pigeon, or the Carolina parakeet that have been entirely wiped out by ranchers. But before I digress too far, I believe that what you call a natural partnership is that, but I also think is more accurately described as birds being opportunistic. But, yes we can enjoy it and I think a birdfeeder for wild birds would accomplish this just the same. Falconry was a relationship between man and bird where the bird would bring down prey too large for it to carry away. Man would seize that prey, cut off a small piece, and reward the bird with it. Sadly, with the invention of the gun our partners in hunting became our competition and we began shooting them. Falconry has a long, interesting history, but due to time constraints I can't rewrite it most of it - you understand. It's interesting you bring up the Harris' hawk as they are considered the "wolves of the sky" because of their group hunting dynamics and social hierarchy. Could this be why people are finding it easier to work with and even "mold" them into the perfect game hawk? I do have to comment that the term “domestication” in breeding for falconry is defined uniquely. It differs greatly in what it attempts to do with what we’ve accomplished with other domestic pets or livestock. The breeding that does take place in falconry is consistent with what I’ve said in my above post. In the breeding of BOP what is considered “domesticated” is a bird reared by other birds but in the presence of humans. But, it’s important to note, that the human only remains (to the chick) as a harmless part of the scenery. This is done so that the chick does not fear the human and still imprints properly. Therefore the problems associated with mal-imprinting that I mentioned above are avoided. If, over generations, parent's rear their birds like this then this is considered domesticated.

But as far as other animals we've domesticated (from pets to livestock), Monica made a statement above about Temple Grandin's work that I'd like to quote: "It's definitely a good book, although there were some areas I did not enjoy reading." This was in reference to the adverse side effects we've created in those animals. Some have been touched upon briefly here. They span everything from altered social behaviors, less intelligence, physical discomfort, to an all around painful/uncomfortable life. Again, unpleasant to read about. There are many instances where, through single-trait selective breeding, we've pushed an animal to the very limits of it's biology. Sometimes on purpose, as the demands of an industry, and sometimes inadvertently, as when we're selecting for a particular color, temperament, or physical fearture and bring about unintended consequences. I can cite the English Budgie as a "parrot" that we've domesticaed. Already they are more prone to obesity related disorders such as fatty tumors.

I also think we often falsely use domestication as a term that means "better suited to a life with humans." It's a part of it but it's also a primarily genetic distinction. Going back to the same author, one of the points she makes has to do with environment. The most domesticated pet we have, in her view, has become more captive than companion. She cites how, decades ago, neighborhood dogs were allowed to roam and socialize with each other. Things they are designed to do as social/roaming animals. The direction that our lives have taken has moved away from such a rural atmosphere to one of compartmentalization. That neccesitates for example, fences, leashes, or a dog that remains indoors all day. It's no wonder that behavioral issues develop. The dogs are still domesticated and socialized, but the environment is all wrong. When we talk about a parrot going to a good home....granted there are differences uniuqe to each of our homes. But, there's also a template we can come up with for the typical home - which may include multiple family members, full time jobs, etc. Parrots are being mass produced and it's probably because of that that they are affordable as well as going to the typical home. But they are also being relinquished en masse. That we know.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
One poster is involved in conservancy and she has wild flocks of macaws that come to her back yard in florida. She does see a difference between the wild macaws and her macaws. For more on conservancy and involvement of people one can find information in some of the avian organizations. There are so many aspects: genetics, environmental science, behavior, nutritional, ethical. Captive vs wild breeding. Reintroduction is a buz word these days.

So one must choose the area that will have the most interest and pertinence to a person at this time in their lives and what resources one has available. Most here just want to provide for their pet. Additional information with references are helpful for those that want to delve more into avian husbandry, conservation. Many will donate money but want to make sure their money goes to a reputable person/place/organization as there have been those burned.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Is it Daria?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I've corresponded with her several times via PM. I hope I get to meet her.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At this point, I'm not quite sure why the discussion is continuing. You seem to bee anti-breeder, or anti-bird keeping. Are you? You've made comments somewhere in one of your posts that you don't have a problem with what Howard Voren does because its legal. So, I'm not quite sure why you are commenting so extensively on my posts. And a lot of your comments tends to be quotes of other people's work rather than stating your opinion. I'm having a hard time sorting out what your actual point is or how you personally interpret things. Or are you just offering up information to continue the discussion? Or is it just that I have enough time on my hands now that school is out that I'm over thinking it and taking it too personally? You are obviously a very well read, well written and educated person. I read your post, and I'm not quite sure what to respond to, so I just scanned and looked for question marks. Below are your comments in quotes and my answer to the question.

"The latter point equates people making use of birds to "people enjoying the relationship." Hypothetically can the same be said for parrots in the same situation - captivity? Because I know "people" enjoy it. But do birds? Do they enjoy being caged, having a human that can't spend 100% if his time with them, wont mate with them, do they enjoy being bred under artifical conditions, having their baby's taken away....or the myriad of things that constitute a captive life? So I do feel the choice of words, in a "back to square one" kind of way, is the original justification for breeding - I enjoy it."

I think questions like that are anthropomorphic. I have not read much other than a few quotes from Temple Grandin, but I suspect she's doing a fair bit of it too. Just running it through the filter of an autistic brain rather than a "normal" brain. So, for non-autistic people it seems novel and groundbreaking. Not saying she's wrong in her practice and suggestions for dealing with animals. I think the same things that irritate or cause fear in an autistic person could very well trigger the reaction in an animal. So I have nothing overly critical to say about her. Just that she's probably guilty of it too just in a different way. I'm pretty sure my cockatoo enjoys sitting and getting her evening cuddles and that my amazons enjoy a head scratch. They look forward to having me around and it doesn't seem to be just because I feed them and there isn't anyone else around. I have birds that have mates or same species siblings that they hang out with and have for years. Many of them still approach me and solicit verbal and physical innteraction. They don't need me for emotional support if they have a mate, but they seem to like me and want to be around me. Mine have adjusted to my work schedule. The only bird that seems calmer when I'm home during the summer is my hyacicnth and I already mentioned her issues. The rest of the crew sometimes gets a little crabby when I want to interact during the day and they'd rather play with their toys. If I let them sit in their cages without new toys or foraging opportunities then they do start to show some pacing and other stereotypic behaviors.

My intuitive "vibe" is that birds and most animals are pretty much in the hear and now. They don't sit and wish, "if only I could fly free I'd be so much happier." "Or look at those wild birds out the window, if only I could be like them and be free." I think they pretty much comprehend, "stuff that is fun to play with is available and interesting, and the textures feel good on the tongue" I hesitate to use the word "I" because I think they have self awareness but live mostly in a physical state rather than internally being aware of what makes them happy and what doesn't. And physical sensation and the opportunity to have new experiences and even have some control over their decisions in more complex species leads to feelings of happiness. However, control over their decisions doesn't have to be, fly from this tree to the next tree and sit and be unhappy if there is no next tree to fly off to. It can be something simple like a new toy and a new foraging opportunity. I don't think they think in terms of I, me etc. That is just again, my interpretation of what I feel when I try to look at the world the way I think they see it. Or what I perceive when I'm sitting in the middle of a flock of a few hundred migrating ducks with my kayak and watching their body language and interactions with each other. I think honestly that smaller species are a little more instinctive. Maybe a little less self aware in that avian sort of way that I was mentioning. I think reproduction to them is largely instinctive. However, thhey do have awareness and happiness, but I think its why people are a more likely to have breeding success with the smaller species even when environmental conditions aren't right. Of course, I also think that in smaller species that have been bred to multiple generations in captivity, we've probably selected for some hyper-reproductive traits that cause them to breed more easily potentially to their own detriment. And breeders do need to be aware of that and take steps to prevent.

However, many larger species are more difficult to breed and I think they even "enjoy" being parents and the sensation of having a nice cozy nest box to do nesty things with. Again, part of it is that they probably have not been bred enough in captivity to have selected for certain reproductive traits. But I don't think that's all there is to it. I think they just interact with the world different than smaller species. There used to be the terms K select and R select species that have fallen out of favor with biologists due to all the in betweens and hard to classify. But I think reproduction to a more K select species tends to fall a little more into the realm of their self-awareness. For a more R select species, its more something to do. Something they are driven to do when conditions are right. A hyacinth macaw or an amazon might be driven to investigate a nest box, but they might be more aware of liking the feeling of being in a nest they like, enjoying feeding their babies. Maternal is the word I would use for my amazon when she's got fresh babies in the box. I think my female amazon enjoys her babies and sitting on eggs. However, I also think she's a little relieved for me to take them away at a certain point. I think last year was a difficult season for her. I don't know if she's just getting older or she just produced larger eggs than normal or ???. I just felt like it was more physically taxing on her and she was relieved to have me take the chicks. For the smaller species, I think they get angry with my intrusion into their nest box. I don't think they grieve that I took their babies away from them. If I take an amazon baby out of the box before Ellie is ready to be done with it, she will scream and carry on and seem upset about it for a brief period of time. If I've left them with her for 4 weeks and she's acting like she's having a hard time keeping up with the feeding of the babies, she does not generally seem upset when I pull the chicks past the original intrusion into her box. And if I go in and check on her later in the day, her body language seems more relaxed. However, I usually do it at night so they just wake up the next morning and their babies aren't there. I think its less traumatic for both parents and babies.

"It's interesting you bring up the Harris' hawk as they are considered the "wolves of the sky" because of their group hunting dynamics and social hierarchy. Could this be why people are finding it easier to work with and even "mold" them into the perfect game hawk?"

LOL, I wondered if you would put the internet to work and run across the title. I wouldn't get too distracted by the whole wolf thing as it relates to a hawk. From what I gather, and I have yet to experience this myself, Harris's are just different than other hawks. I've heard other falconers complain about some similar stuff with their hawk that parrots do. Most hawks won't pick at their tethering system enough to consistently figure out a falconer's knot. The lady that runs our biggest raptor rehab place in Iowa is also a falconer and was complaining about how she can't trust a falconer's knot to stay knotted with her 20+ year old retired harris. They just seem more social, intelligent and accepting of some aspects of training. They can also get the better of their falconer in more "parroty" type ways. It makes them very endearing to falconers and a lot of people just like them. Just based on my impression of the comments people have made, I think they have more of a problem solving type of intelligence that you see in parrots than other raptors show.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I too wonder why a thread that began with someone admitting they're going to do what they belive to be wrong has gone off on so many tangents. I expressed that above. But I think it was your posts that caught my attention, or engaded me, because of your attempt to explain breeding parrots as natural to humans. I've heard all the other arguments but that one. I wanted to see if you could prove this to me so the point hasn't been whether I'm anti breeding or not. Not that I believe we should follow our nature (whatever we perceive that to be) all of the time. The things you brought up were an attempt to support that. For example, humans being influenced by another speices, "wolves," as an example of a relationship with an animal therefore extendable to other species. In which case I referenced and wrote out the studies you might have come accross (really to put it out there so everyone knows what you were talking about). One of my favorite books on birds has 19 pages of references to studies, field research, etc. I'm sure any textbook you'll use in school does as well. I commented above, in reference to individual authors, that knowledge in any field is collective. It relies on the advancements and contribution of so many great people. So, yes, when one wants to learn about something, such as animal behavior, we rely on the factual knowledge that's out there. In that sense there's nothing wrong with quoting other people's work to prove a point. I admire many authors. I don't have access to techiniques such as ESB (electronic stimulation of the brain), sonogram, controlled laboratory's, nor do I conduct experiments. So, yes, I look to those who do to find what their research has revealed for my personal insight. Such as, in the cases of rats dreaming, or what causes abnormal dendritic growth in pigs, etc.

I think you got hung up on my word "enjoy." And yes, it's an anthropomorphic term for what we might observe on an animal but I though the overall meaning of what I was saying would be understood. And that is that the genetic drives of an animal "tell" that animal when something isn't normal in it's life. It seldom matters that an animal hasn't known the life it's wild cousins are living. It doesn't have to (in the case of parrots) gaze longinly out the window while dreaming about the forest canopy. I think we can see "happiness" or the lack of, or state it more scientifically, in the PTSD type symptoms that many parrots present. There are standards, and ways in which we can interpret captive animal welfare as, of course, we cannot ask an animal if it "enjoys" something. What we can do, for example, is look at the normal development of it's brain as dictated by genes in terms of dendritic growth. And then look at the development of the brain of an animal that has undergone some sort of deprivation (social or parental, etc.) and has the associated behavioral issues. We can determine welfare along those lines. In this, factual, sense Temple can be anthropomorphic as there are commonalities we all share as animals such as elevated levels of stress hormone. And this goes back to educating ourselves on the genetic needs, drives, and behaviors of animals. As they originate, not in what we think, but in the brain of that animal. This is where my interest in the field of ethology comes in and there are some fascinating studies. But this isn't a science forum so I casually used the word "enjoy." And I said the question was "hypothetical" but don't forget what it was in response to. The context was that you associated birds picking insects in your backyard with humans enjoying a relationship with them. Which in the context of this thread refers to us breeding them. This association is something I thought was quite a stretch. And I did elaborate.

If you don't know what to respond to than simply take it as food for thought, ideas....that you can research further if you have the curiosity. This is the reason I state other authors or quote their words. Because there are so many people out there who took the time who conducted studies and contribted to our knowledge. I feel that historically, in pet-bird keeping, people share or preach their own anecdote as if it were science. This is where much of the anthropomorphism in aviculture came from imo, or like I said, not only associating birds with dogs (alpha/dominance) but also with human toddlers (terrible two's, time-outs, testing limits, etc.).

"LOL, I wondered if you would put the internet to work and run across the title. I wouldn't get too distracted by the whole wolf thing as it relates to a hawk."

I don't know what you mean. I only mentioned it in passing. To know anything about the Harris' hawk (and I used to care for them as a volunteer) is to know that they are unique in this way. But, as we've been talking about wolves, etc. I though it funny.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The OP has left the discussion of this thread. She may still be reading it, but may have no further input. I do find it a bit sad that some people were condescending, but I realize everyone has their own opinions about breeding.

As far as this quote... They don't sit and wish, "if only I could fly free I'd be so much happier." "Or look at those wild birds out the window, if only I could be like them and be free." Well, I think I actually do have one of those birds! As per a contact, I have in my care a wild caught african ringneck parrot that was imported last year. She chews on her cage to try and get out. If out of the cage, she makes a B-Line to the window and tries to get out of it. Who knows at what age she was imported! She could be a juvenile male that hasn't feathered out yet into the male colorations.... or maybe she's a young or older hen? I'll never know. I also don't know how she was previously kept for whoever had her for the year that she has been within captivity. Well, to be honest, I don't know how many people have had her, nor how she ended up at an animal shelter. Maybe she used to live in an outside aviary? I don't know.

Not even my captive raised parrots try to get outside as badly as she does. Sure, they like looking out the window, but they aren't trying to escape out of it! (unless they freak out and fly in panic mode - which is not the same)

But then I think the distinction relies on the fact that she wasn't captive raised. Her behavior does differ than your typical bird. Sure, wild caught parrots can make great pets, and I'm sure she would be a lovely pet, but I truly believe she would be happiest in an outside aviary.

As far as laws, tests and regulations go in regards to parrot keeping... well, I think there should be something in place! I know many may not agree with me, but I do believe there should be some short of minimum standard made for animal keeping with suggestions on providing the best potential environment and life for that animal. If a dog is being abused or kept inside too small of a cage, authorities will take actions. As far as birds are concerned, as long as it's not too filthy, they just walk away. What kind of justice is that? It's ridiculous!

As far as David's posts go, in the least they are thought provoking! I enjoy his posts through all the research he has done, and the different viewpoints he can put out there from the knowledge he's gained. It's good to have a discussion with different people putting in different points that they have learned about. It'd be boring otherwise if everyone had the same advice! ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For any of you folks who are yearning for gooberment regulation for bird keeping, keep in mind that the strongest lobbies are the Animal Rights organizations and that our average elected Representative regards animal issues as nothing more than an irritation. Are you willing to expend the time, effort and money to equal those of the AR people?

There are a couple of bills sitting out there in committee, HR 996 and HR 669, that will prohibit anyone owning a Cites listed animal or an "exotic non-native animal" from crossing state lines with them. That prohibition does not exclude any of your pets that are considered "non-native".

Be careful of what you wish for - you may just get it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's the wrong type of regulation that I'm thinking of! ;)

Although I did forget to mention about the rules, regulations and laws in other countries where something like that is in place for bird keeping. I've heard that in Europe (UK?) that you must pass a test in order to own certain birds, and places like Sweden where the smaller species must be parent raised (unless for whatever reason, hand feeding is a must) and the birds kept in pairs (or a small flock) within an aviary. That rule alone would be broken by thousands of Americans! The rules for medium and larger parrots do differ somewhat though.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I think I actually do have one of those birds! As per a contact, I have in my care a wild caught african ringneck parrot that was imported last year. [/quote]

Yeah, shortly after I wrote that I got to thinking about my one exception. Gloria the red tailed hawk does sometimes stare off in the distance and point her body in the direction of a tree. So I think it comes down to, if they had it in their past and if the right visual stimuli are present, then they are capable of wanting that thing again. However, if they never had it to begin with, or even if they did but they aren't able to see it, then they won't wish for it again. Even though they may enjoy a substitution that gives them the same feeling. Like flying around a large room with different hanging boings and playgyms assuming the bird isn't afraid off those unfamiliar things. I think with a bird like yours, you could play it a couple ways. Probably the best way in terms of health of the bird would be as you said, large outside aviary with tree like branches. Or, just get rid of the visual reminder. When I was first "manning" my hawk(getting her used to people) I covered the windows in her mews so she wouldn't beat herself up trying to get out. After a while, she came to accept it. Even though, I do think she enjoys being in trees and flying when I get her out. She also definitely seems happy to see me if I'm transferring her from the weathering yard to her nice protected mews during nasty weather.

I do enjoy David's posts. I'm not not quite sure at what level I'm supposed to discuss things all the time. The subjective hypothetical throwing around ideas or commentary on previous studies that I may not have read but know a little bit about because of previous research on a different but related topic. Makes for an apples to oranges conversation sometimes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have to do the same for Sylphie. If I don't cover up the window, she'll try to escape through it. If I do cover it, then she'll remain at her cage, or she might even explore the room. She once has flown down to the top of my monitors and peered into the closet area for maybe less than a minute before flying back to the cage. That was something I was actually surprised about! Right now she wont take food from me and will not initiate contact at all, and that's ok with me. I could be trying harder, but I'm not entirely sure I want to make her into a pet. If she gets on the floor, she does have an easy way to climb back up onto her cage, even though she is capable of flight. (strained flight, but flight never the less)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think in further support of keeping animals in captivity you can look at the emotions people feel when associating with animals. I think our emotions give us an indication of instincts. We don't discuss instincts very much in people but I think we have them. The feelings modern day people have were successful for the reproductive success of our ancestors. So that feeling I told you about with hunting that hawk on wild prey, people who hunt with guns feel it to. And over riding sense of rightness or peace in the world even though they just did an unpleasant thing. Hunting and cooking your own food that you caught, even if just a trout can bring about that feeling of one-ness with nature. Holding a fresh chick in your hand and feeling wonder about the preciousness of life and wanting to nurture it is probably instinctive. I would even hazard that it might have something related to wanting to nurture a farm animal or companion animal that while we may think we want it as a companion, there are other reasons to keep them. Everything from acting as an early warning system(barking) to improving the immune systems of our young when exposed to pets. Its been well established that having animals around drops blood pressure and does good things for people with all manner of neurological conditions from Alzeimers, to PTSD to depression, autism etc. And it doesn't have to just be dogs.

So a few weeks ago I was just having an out of sorts kind of day. Not really getting much done, not really unhappy, not really happy. Questioning what I wanted to do with my life and just generally shifting around a lot. I sat down with Sulfur crested cockatoo and spent about an hour petting her. By the time I was done, I felt much better about things. I felt I came to some peace with my thoughts and was more focused and motivated to get up and do something. Our association with animals has the potential to be good for us emotionally/neurologically and even down the level of our immune system.

So I googled around a few hours ago and read the first chapter of one of Temple Grandin's books. I must say she has a very engaging writing style and I don't disagree with what she says. To examine the ethics of animal keeping in terms of neurological development, nobody is ever going to be able to convince me that we shouldn't keep birds as pets because it changes their brain. That they have dendritic growth where they shouldn't have or don't have it where they should. As you well know and as Temple pointed out, the brain is incredibly plastic. A few years ago at about 2:30 in the morning during a bout with insomnia I got to googling my own brain condition. Dyslexia. Well, I spent the next several hours following links to all sorts of things about learning. Apparently just learning to read in Chinese character vs. european letters causes differences in the brain. Almost everything changes the brain.

A lot of the those changes happen when young. Although with parrots being so altrical, I'm going to hazard a guess, that a lot of their brain development for everything from motor skills to interacting with their own kind happens after they fledge the nest. In the nest, they have much fewer sensory stimuli. So, a parrot that is incubated and hand-raised from day one, so long as there are other parrots around later in development probably isn't going to show the same behavioral changes as a monkey that is just given a bottle with no nurturing during those early phases of development. If you can come up with any studies in support or against that, I'd be interested just for the sake of good reading. I'll probably get around to looking into it myself at some point this summer.

In terms of keeping parrots in captivity, of course their brains are going to be different. They've never flown to a branch and had to adjust their balance based on the strength of the branch or the amount of breeze. Of course thhey will have differences in the motor portions of their brain to say the least. However, I'd also guess and maybe there is or isn't research to support it that a parrot raised with people will have more development in areas of the brain related to reading body language and even verbal language and will possibly show more of those "wolf-like" behaviors that naturally comes out of studying people. Such as following gaze, and looking at things that are pointed at. We all know they watch us for a signal to panic or not. If we have a nasty thunderstorm, if I flinch, they flinch. If I don't, they don't, or if they do they recover very quickly. If I hear something off in the house, even if I make a concerted effort not to have any sort of body language change that would alert them, they still go on alert. I think they are watching my eyes. Some of that they would be doing in a flock environment anyway, but it would be modified for watching other body parts for life with people and other pets. They take signals from my dog too if she suddenly goes from sleeping to head up and ears pricked and listening. I bet that all changes their brain too. Is it bad? Or is it just an adaptation to a different living situation? I'd vote for the latter in the absence of any other pathological behaviors.

I do think we can look at comparisons between wild and captive bird brains as a good direction to go in terms of husbandry. Personally I think in my own house I need to do a better job of getting my baby amazons up on boings and other swinging perches to improve and simulate some of those motor experiences they would have in the wild. I often mention adding foraging toys every day. The first thing I do if I start seeing more stereotypy in my parrots is double up on the foraging toys and add a new chew toy. As Temple so noted, something new even if its the same thing as yesterday, new is still new. You don't really need to read multiple dissertations to know that about parrots. If I have a chick that is having a hard time weaning and I really want to get them off that last hand-feeding, I'll start giving them more soft food more often. Doesn't matter if its the same stuff I gave earlier in the day, its still new to their food bowl right at that instant and gets them more interested in eating food on their own more frequently during the day. Which promotes independence and IMO a feeling of being in control of their own world. Personally, I think that decreases a lot of needy type behaviors annd allowing an already needy species like a cockatoo to persist in taking hand-feedings after they normally should just causes them to miss out on some of that self-efficacy which may be why we see so many needy cockatoos and sometimes macaws out there. I'm not convinced that abundance weaning as many pet owners interpret it is such a good thing. If you allow them to continuously take hand-feedings past when they should, they learn to depend on people for happy feelings and don't learn that they have control over their own physical state of hunger. Leading to more problems with separation anxiety and all sorts of stuff. Of course, if you go to the other extreme and force wean, you can see similar co-dependent behaviors.

Personally, I like the idea of giving birds opportunities for outdoor play. This is another area I need to do a better job of practicing what I preach. I need to move so I can get a better outdoor aviary for my birds. I think in many cases birds don't NEED an outdoor aviary and interaction with their own kind. But, if someone screwed up in their earlier development and the bird is an emotional mess and mal-adapted to life in the living room, then transitioning them too a more aviary type life with others of their own kind can reduce some of their problems. However, I want to point out, that is if someone screwed up. A well adjusted bird could benefit from opportunities to have those things at various points in their day, but they shouldn't need them to be happy. I'd really like to take on a problem male umbrella or moluccan cockatoo, but I won't do it until I have a decent outdoor aviary so that for 3/4ths of our year hear, he can have time outside to have more things to think about and yes, more things to develop normal/healthy brain changes such as feeling a breeze, seeing insects, drops of rain, humidity and weather changes and possibility another cockatoo to preen and interact with. While still coming back inside in the evening to socialize with people. I do think some of those birds were sensory deprived as young birds and consequently do have brain changes probably in line with PTSD changes or other's similar to what Temple mentioned. But I don't think every bird that grew up in someone's living room is going to have those problems. I also think it varies drastically based on species. I doubt you'd see as many amazons with those changes as you would cockatoos or macaws or african greys. Not for a second am I saying people shouldn't have cockatoos or macaws. Just that they have more intensive care needs in order to provide the level of stimulation they need for normal behavior and yes, brain development. Therefore, a home that would be very suitable for an amazon, might not be suitable for a macaw.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
In light of the above I had to cut this part out of one of my posts and re-post it.

"There are standards, and ways in which we can interpret captive animal welfare as, of course, we cannot ask an animal if it "enjoys" something. What we can do, for example, is look at the normal development of it's brain as dictated by genes in terms of dendritic growth. And then look at the development of the brain of an animal that has undergone some sort of deprivation (social or parental, etc.) and has the associated behavioral issues. We can determine welfare along those lines."

Should have worded it better (or maybe not included this part) but I want to make it clear that this isn't a reference to parrots - as there are no such studies on parrots that I know of. Ms. Grandin is famous for revolutionizing humane handling in meat plants. One way in which she was able to do this was to conclusively prove when an animal is suffering. In addition, based on emotional needs, she devised ways to make animals at ease in their environments so that they move through the process without fear, stress, or anxiety, etc. She calls it turning off negative emotions (like fear) and turning on positive ones (like SEEKING -through exploration, curiosity). It gave the animals a better life (until that final moment) as well as made the plants more productive....a win-win. One study she did was on the effects of deprivation in animals. Based on the natural need to forage (to gain sensory input of the world around them through their snouts) she used two groups of pigs. One group that was raised in an enriched environment and another in a barren environment. After which she compared brain matter under a microscope and looked at dendritic growth. It lead to an understanding of how genetics (in other words "nature" not "nurture") determines the proper environment needed to insure good welfare.

melissasparrots, I don't know where your information on parrots' brains is coming from. It's a significant part of your latest post and was wondering if you had any direct references.

On the idea of things that bring us pleasure....

Dr. Jaak Panksepp (a leader in the field of affective neuroscience) coined a term for one of our core emotions. He calls it SEEKING, always written in capitals. You might see a theme in these examples: A hunter in the woods, a child that sees a wrapped present under a Christmas tree, someone "hunting" for a bargain at a department store, a bird finding a hidden treat in a foraging toy, a dog getting excited when his master goes to open the door. This emotion, as you can see, is not defined by a specific acquisition, accomplishment, or event. It's defined by the part of the brain that is stimulated. It's a pleasure emotion.

melissasparrots, I think alot of what you're describing falls under this emotion and is not directly linked to owning animals in particular. Many things can bring about the feelings and benefits of something new or novel that you describe as well as relieve stress. For example, to relieve stress I can pet a cockatoo or hold one of those squeeze balls for a while, I can exercise or listen to music. And I can boost my immune system by simply getting more Vitamin C.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did find one somewhat scholarly article about the drive to domesticate which would for the most part require intentional breeding. I think she's stretching a bit on a few points personally, but I think she's on the mark in a few others. Such as the co-evolved zoonotic diseases and a few other things that I'm too tired to go back through and point to specifically. I've read better scientific papers than this one, but I enjoyed reading just knowing that apparently someone out there in a higher academic setting had a thought similar to mine. Here's the link. Happy reading. Yes, I do think its unnecessary long winded. You can probably do a search and find a shorter summary on less academic websites but you(David) seem like the type to want the full article. I haven't had a chance to cross check some of her references, but if I can work up the motivation later today, I might do so.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/attachments/72276/caproofs.pdf

You said in a previous post " I feel that historically, in pet-bird keeping, people share or preach their own anecdote as if it were science." I have to wonder if you feel I'm preaching and have the urge to bring me down a few pegs. I never claimed to be an expert David. If people on this forum like what I have to say, its probably because my advice works for them or sounds like a good idea. I'm not here trying to get attention or respect for my ideas. Just to help other people so they don't have to repeat some of the mistakes I made. And learn a little bit myself. I have BS in biology from a major university. I feel that allows me to make my own decisions after reading scientific literature. I can choose to reject it or accept it just as you can. Much of my last post was based on taking something I read and making a logical leap to the next level. I have not fact checked it yet. I enjoy just throwing around ideas. It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother you that I don't have a journal paper backing up exactly what I say. I can read it, and then wonder how it connects with other things and sometimes verbalize those thoughts. And I'm fine with that. I like reading and learning new things, making up my own ideas and then continuing to follow the research for a few years to see if anyone had a similar idea and what their data was. If that bothers you, you can disregard whatever I say. I'm okay with that. I might out of curiosity fact check some of the stuff I posted in previous comments and post a link.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
In my time owning larger parrots I've taken the time to read what has been said about them, much of it I attempted to further research and fact check. That . This includes material coming from those who call themselves behaviorists. Learning about them became a hobby which included joining a bird club, going to meetings, attending parrot expos, reading books as well as joining forums. You are not the only one who's opinions or ideas I've heard over the years. So, no, it wasn't a reference to yourself as I said "historically." Again, the context being your comment that parrot "owners" don't have misconceptions while non-owners do. But since you've brought it up, no disrespect intended, I have felt that throughout this thread your posts lacked a certain focus or emphasis on facts that I would like to have seen. What I mean is that it seems you take an idea and run with your guesses. You call it a "logical leap" but I'd say you tend to go much farther than that (to even use your own word, "preaching"). One such disappointment, for example, is that you merely glanced at an authors work and then went on to write a thesis about it. I ignored it/could not coment because there was just too much I could correct or felt that the thoughts expressed were simply "all over the place." Your commentary on the brains of parrots seemed OTT and simply neither here nor there. Bottom line is, as you've stated, because "I have not fact checked," and this makes it difficult to have the common ground that any discussion needs. Asking for references to that end should not cause one to become defensive.

I appreciate the link, as I've begun reading it. If forum members simply told each other to go off and read books conversations wouldn't take place. Direct quotes or studies to back up beliefs would suffice to make discussions smooth and streamlined - it's what I try to do. But, sometimes theres just so much information that we can't sit here and write books for each other. I can see, as defined in the article, that our "co-evolution" involves our exploitation of animals (which continues to this day) as much as our keeping of them as pets. Making tools both out of animals and in order to cut up animal carcassas for example. But I sense your interpreteation of much of what you read as an excuse to breed parrots as pets. I've felt that all along in this thread, yet I still don't see a convincing connection. You either purposely or inadvertently neglect to represent both sides of a point, the focus always on human benefit. For example, in your assertion that keeping animals makes people happy - that it relieves stress for humans, you don't seem to be aware that vetinary records for both BOP and domestic birds reveal higher levels of cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone and immunosuppressant. It's an indication that captive birds live with more stress than their counterparts in the wild.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
" I ignored it/could not coment because there was just too much I could correct."

Thats how I feel about your theses too. I believe at this point I'm going to end my involvement in this thread. I don't think this conversation is actually being productive anymore. Some of your points were interesting and not wrong if taken within certain contexts or in some situations. However, whereas you are seeing an annoying tendency to broaden the topic in me, I'm seeing an annoying tendency not to make connections or see beyond the written word in you. The posts I most enjoyed from you were where you stated your opinion and then the reason why. Its nice knowing why you have that opinion, but just reading the regurgitation of someone else's work isn't very interesting to me. I can do that on my own for the sake of learning and with less stress. We can pick at each other all day and spend hours finding documentation for everything stated and still be at odds. Or we can go make our bird's lives better. However we interpret that.