• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking...

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
To be honest with you, the same author covers much of what you're saying. It's been known since the 1800's that wolves live in "families," not packs, and what was assumed to be an alpha was simply a father. With the respect accorded any father by his children - no matter how old they get. And who, for example, sits at the head of the table. I belive it was the artificial groupings of wolves in Yellowstone National Park (correct me if I've got the wrong park) that led to the mistaken notion of the alpha/dominance theory. And I belive that those packs fell apart because they were unnaturally large and couldn't bring down enough food to sustain themselves as a smaller "family" would have been able to. And you're right, it's because people were studying these artifical goupings - and that, rather than field observations, is what became popular with the public. Off the top of my head, she also discusses how "lone wolves" were actually juvenile males who broke off to start their own families. I'm typing as I remember these things.

I know, from my travels to Costa Rica, that groups of Howler Monkeys howel to declare their territory. Temple does cover the behavior of dogs in goups under alot of different settings. She believes that, depending on a variety of circumstances, an artificial
"unrelated" group of dogs can fight until a dominant leader emerges, that a human can assume a role of the dominant, or the role of a "father figure," depending on how the "dogs" see it. She covers Cesar Milan, the dogs on his grandfathers ranch, and how he came to form his opinions.

She covers alot about dogs as roaming animals who, decades ago, did not live the compartmentalized, leashed lives they do today.

But, as this isn't a thread or forum about dogs.....I don't know how much I should elaborate on this.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"Raising birds for pet trade as Melissa outlined I believe did not make a difference with coparenting, parent raised or hand raised."

I feel bad for spending my time on the computer. The internet is truly a time thief!

I most certainly agree. Thanks for the discussion and thoughts.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Sadie, I meant that jokingly. I'm in a new house in Florida. My wife and baby will be here in a week. I should be cleaning windows, etc. I value these discussions and exchanges of ideas and knowledge. But, sometimes you don't even realise how much time has gone by when online.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@LaSelva I'm glad there's more varied discussion than just those quoted points. Like I said, I just couldn't read those, knowing what I know about social dynamics in dogs and primates, and not point forth a counterpoint.

Actually Mech, et al. based Alpha Theory and really all earlier pack theory on a collection of unrelated zoo wolves that had been assembled into a captive colony. So, about as far removed from anything natural as it gets!

I'll have to take a look at this book. Temple Gradin right? Could you share the title?

As far as pack dynamics in domesticated dogs I don't think conclusions garnered from Caesar Milan's shared observations as a child on his father's ranch will give us any accurate idea of social interactions of feral dogs. Milan has spun a narrative and it would behoove his agenda to only share the details that support it. Plus, he was young, not exactly casting a clinical eye trained in objectiveness.

Feral dogs, those truly left to their own devices and not artificially grouped together or under any other constraints, simply don't form any complex social structure. Dogs are primarily scavengers, scavengers do not need to have the support of a cohesive group hunters benefit from. Feral dogs, beings scavengers and not inclined to group structure, also don't carve out distinct territories and jealously defend them. Instead they move from one area to another always in search of resources. This movement tends to bring them into proximity of each other and so you will find feral dogs grouped together. They, however, don't form lasting bonds and groups are brought together by chance, perhaps staying together for a short time or only really passing in the night. Then they disperse and the cycle repeats. You won't find multigenerational groups of dogs, you won't find a bonded mated pair who raise pups together, you won't find any reliable level of group stability.

Certainly, if you force a bunch of dogs to come together you might find some loose level of social hierarchy, but even that tends to be fluid and really based on the specific resource in question. I have an artificial pack and the leaders change based on the nature of the resource/task. So who the leader is when it comes to eating, the best sleeping spot, chasing a ball, meeting a new person literally changes based on the strengths and weaknesses of each member.

You're right this isn't a thread or forum about dogs and so I probably shouldn't have elaborated as much as I did, but I just feel so passionately about this subject AND I find the parallels and divergences in human parrot interactions so fascinating. But I'm a student of behavior (human or animal) so I recognize that others might not be so interested!

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
"Plus, he was young, not exactly casting a clinical eye trained in objectiveness."

You just reminded me that Temple said just about the same thing! That he may not have been fully aware of what he was observing. He, as a child, attributed the "no fighting" among his grandfathers dogs to his grandfather assuming the alpha role for them. Where other families' dogs didn't have that and constantly fought for dominance (as he observed).....wish I could remember more. But, I know these are not the feral dogs you're speaking of. They may have been free to roam to an extent but always had the home base to return to. Edit: I've got "Animals in Translation" in front of me, but it's "Animals Make us Human" that covers Cesar Milan and how he came to form his ideas. She's a great author and covers alot. I too am very interested in animal behavior. This is from an emotional, anatomical, and neurochemical basis. I think in this regard, and in the field of ethology, Temple Grandin is a great author. Her book "Animals in Translation" is a bit more technical and appeals to me (and probably would you as well) more than "Animals Make us Human." Although I value both.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Sadie, I meant that jokingly. I'm in a new house in Florida. My wife and baby will be here in a week. I should be cleaning windows, etc. I value these discussions and exchanges of ideas and knowledge. But, sometimes you don't even realise how much time has gone by when online.

Recently broke my shoulder and computer time extremely limited. I do understand the time constraints.

Hope your move goes smoothly and wife and baby join you without any issues. Congrats on the new house.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Haven't had such good reading for quite a while. A+ :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"Plus, he was young, not exactly casting a clinical eye trained in objectiveness."

You just reminded me that Temple said just about the same thing! That he may not have been fully aware of what he was observing. He, as a child, attributed the "no fighting" among his grandfathers dogs to his grandfather assuming the alpha role for them. Where other families' dogs didn't have that and constantly fought for dominance (as he observed).....wish I could remember more. But, I know these are not the feral dogs you're speaking of. They may have been free to roam to an extent but always had the home base to return to. Edit: I've got "Animals in Translation" in front of me, but it's "Animals Make us Human" that covers Cesar Milan and how he came to form his ideas. She's a great author and covers alot. I too am very interested in animal behavior. This is from an emotional, anatomical, and neurochemical basis. I think in this regard, and in the field of ethology, Temple Grandin is a great author. Her book "Animals in Translation" is a bit more technical and appeals to me (and probably would you as well) more than "Animals Make us Human." Although I value both.

One of our posters met with Temple Grandin who gave the poster some insightful information about her bird. Most interesting lady. Love her presentations to teachers about autism. The power point information is worth reading and can be found on line.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
As I didn't expect the conversation to turn to dogs/wolves, I'm beginning to recall certain things she's written on the subject. But, yes, Temple Grandin is insightful. One of the things she talks alot about is the adverse side effects of single-trait selective breeding in both livestock and domestic animals. In particular, how breeding for a desirable trait alters the gene that governs that trait. That same gene, in turn, may control an important social behavior for that animal (that is, in addition to the desired physical trait we're breeding for). A gene that performs a dual function. Therefore, in animals that we've bred for certain physical qualities, such as a long nose in a collie, or larger breasts on a chicken, we've also inadvertently bred important social behaviors "out" of them. This could mean, for example, a rooster that doesn't perform a mating dance needed to entice a hen into being receptive. The rooster would attempt his advances, the hen would resist, his advances would continue. Frustration being a mild form of rage, he'd eventually kill her as he became more and more aggressive. Therefore we have what's called "rapist roosters." Another example could be a dog that doesn't know how to display submissive behaviors faced with the aggression of a more dominant dog. Without that signal the stronger dog would continue attacking. Or, an aggressive dog that doesn't recognize the submissive signals of another. So, based on some of her writings, this would be my guess as the answer to this question:

"In fact, a huge divergence between wolves and dogs is that dogs don't form packs. Feral dogs do not pack up and form complex social groups like even unrelated wolves will do when forced together. One could even say as dogs evolved alongside man they actually evolved away from social behavior. What does that say about the influence of man on dog?"

Again, it could be that during the domestication process we've bred out of them important social behaviors that would allow these types of social groups to form. It's just a guess. In addition she talks alot about the differences between dogs and wolves. Particularly describing a dog as the equivalent of a (I belive she says "three month old") wolf puppy....but for life. That through domestication it maintians the submissive qualities of a wolf puppy towards it's master, the human.

And Sadieladie1994, very sorry about your shoulder...hope you're on the road to recovery. Thank you for your well wishes!

Last edited:

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Other possibilities include the idea that humans, in selecting the dogs most willing to perform the desired task, also selected the dogs most eager to work with humans and therefore selected away from the dogs who were more eager to work with other dogs. Many of the herding breeds work extremely closely with their masters, is it a coincidence that many of those same herding breeds are notorious for not enjoying the company of other dogs? Many hound breeds are notorious for a lack of biddability and yet are famous for an affable nature that makes them very easy to house in multi-dog households.

There was a pretty amazing study not too long ago that demonstrated that domestic dogs are hard wired to recognize human facial expressions. Puppies are better at reading human body language than human toddlers. It's part of their genetic/instinctual makeup to read us. So by passively (or actively) selecting for this unique ability did we breed away from the ability to recognize canine social cues?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
"Particularly describing a dog as the equivalent of a (I belive she says "three month old") wolf puppy....but for life. That through domestication it maintians the submissive qualities of a wolf puppy towards it's master, the human."

Sorry, it was "30 days." I'll quote her to elaborate on this....

"Humans have neotenized dogs: without realizing it, humans have bred dogs to stay immature for their entire lives. (She goes on to describe baby wolves in the wild and how dogs are similar)......genetically, dogs are juveniole wolves. We know this thanks to Robert K. Wayne, a UCLA researcher who has studied mitochondrial DNA in wolves and dogs. "

From a study on the King Charles Spaniel:

"the study looked at the ages at which wolf puppies develop different aggressive behaviors, ranging from growling, which they can do by age twenty days, up through the long stare, which is the last aggressive behavior they develop, after they are thrity days old......They lock their eyes on to an animal's face and they stare fiercely. It's scary. Dr. Goodwin found that the reason a dog can't do a long stare is that dogs stop developing emotionally and behaviorally at the wolf puppy equivalent of thirty days (a Husky was the exception to the long stare)."

"Dogs are the ultimate example of the accidental breeding programs humans create for the animals they live and work with . Many experts believe that one of the reasons wolves turned into dogs was that nursing human mothers probably adopted orphaned wolf cubs and nursed them at ther breasts along with their human babies. Under this theory, the only reason dogs exist at all is that early people really loved wolf puppies, which gave any full grown wolves who happened to have a case of arrested depelopment a reproductive advantage. Humans got along best with submissive, puppylike wolves, and over time, that's what they got. The interesting question is whether dogs made us evolve into a different kind of human at the same time....."

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Smaller dogs, like Chihuahuas, don't even get to the 30 days point... they stop sooner than that.

I have Animals in Translation. It's definitely a good book, although there were some areas I did not enjoy reading. I also didn't like how often the word "dominance" was used. That aside, it was definitely a good read. I'll have to look into the other book, Animals Make Us Human.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
The above is from "Animals in Translation." This is from "Animals Make us Human:"

"Dogs are so tuned in to people that they are the only animals that can follow a person's gaze or pointing finger to figure out where a piece of food is hidden. Wolves can't do it, and neither can chimpanzees."

If this is the study you're referencing then, yes, I've heard of it.....I remember seeing it on TV.

She discusses L. David Mechs's thirteen-year study of the wolves on Ellesmere Island as well as a book written in 1944 by Adolph Murie, "The Wolves of Mount McKinley." In which the author makes the observation that wolves life in families, not packs. And then goes on to discuss why it never caught on with the public. Going through her books, as I am now, I'm realizing how much she devotes to this subject. Definatley worth looking at, I find myself wanting to re-read them.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not quite sure where to even begin. I agree with you philosophically on some things, but not in practice. So, I read through all your posts and have to make an analogy. I noticed you said you were a martial artist. Well, Thursday night I was at hapkido and taekwondo and this morning I was at hapkido again. Yes, there is a reason I'm mentioning this and it relates back to my bird philosophy to. And that is the concept of balance.

When I was first looking for a new taekwondo school when I got out of college, I went to various schools looking for one that seemed to match my personality. I went to one that taught very good martial arts, but the attitude of the school was more dominant and aggressive. The men sat around discussing how fun it would be to go to a bar and start fights just to win them. Not my place. Eventually I found a school that teaches it more as self defense, a little military tactical stuff, some sport. You can get out of it what you want basically while still learning. I looked around at my fellow classmates this morning and we have a teacher, a pastor, librarian, and optometrist. Not really a bunch of tough guys/gals. I used to do it to learn some self defense. But now its become more of a search for more of an academic or philosophical knowledge of the connection of mind and body. If the mind is in balance, the body tends to follow and vice versa. Control of the body through the mind and the mind through the body. I found your Jedi comment amusing in light of that.

I enjoy parrot keeping for the academic knowledge of gaining a greater depth of understanding of a species by seeing it full cycle and also for the intrinsic rewards of nurturing a new life. From hatch to maturity, the pair dynamics and the learning and shaping of chick behavior and adult behavior. As you pointed out, enjoying a life with birds, doesn't necessarily have to include living with them. I think its neat when I'm out mowing my lawn and the local fly catchers and even the peaceful sparrows when feeding chicks will follow me around snatching up the bugs I reveal or force into the air. To me this is a natural partnership and I can see how the idea of falconry and partnership with birds could have begun. My point being that its not unnatural for birds to make use of people or for people to enjoy the relationship.

I first brought up falconry as an example of that partnership with people but also because it relates to an opportunity to domesticate them. Harris hawks have proved themselves above average hunting partners with humans and already there are people that are selectively breeding for certain physical and behavioral traits that make an especially good game hawk. The word domesticate is already circulating in the falconry community. I don't think we should limit ourselves to the wolf as a model for human/animal plant interaction. Look at the number of species we have that we have domesticated: horse, cattle, chicken, numerous crops. All of that has changed our civilization, probably our social structure in terms of looking for different resources, becoming less nomadic based on wild herds etc. Its probably even changed the nature of our digestive anatomy. I don't really go around the internet keeping track of all the sites I learn something interesting from, so I can't cite sources. You can fact check on your own, and we all know there are multiple ways to interpret the same bit of information.

What I see going on with parrots is an inevitable move in the direction toward domestication. I'm lukewarm on this. I think parrots just the way they are make phenomenal life companions for the right person. And not every species is right for everyone. Just because my macaw isn't a perfect match for my home doesn't mean macaws aren't a perfect match for someone else. I love parrots as they are now, partly because of their wildness. However, despite their wildness, they do as you know have many behavioral traits that make them capable of being human companions. Social flock structure, capability of bonding to both humans and their own kind, speech, physical displays of affection and to some extent, loyalty to a mate which tends to be a trait people value. And yes, the flip side of all those traits in the wrong home, with poor training, a bad personality match etc can become irritating. To be quite honest, if I met the man of my dreams and decided to have a kid, the macaw might need to find another home. Although a very qualified one. However, the amazon and the cockatoos aren't going anywhere. They are my personality matches. I would not say that just because I have trouble with my macaw today, that people 50 years from now should not be given the freedom to live with a macaw too. I do wish people would have more tolerance for species not exhibiting the typical dog type pet behaviors. I think we could grow as a people in terms of a new appreciation for life dissimilar to ourselves. How limiting to just associate with things that are like us or that we created by artificial selection.

I think that is the direction we are going. A push toward more academic achievements and understanding. And because of that, I'm not too worried that birds don't model the same utilitarian relationship that started between humans and wolves. Humans have changed since wolves were domesticated, they will continue to change. That is the nature of evolution, continuous change and adaptation. It just so happens that people can manipulate their own environment in such a way that we may alter our own biology too. Unfortunately, it means we also alter the biology of the species around us. Which realistically, there isn't any escaping people. We are all over the place. However, just as we destroy habitat which is truly a shame, we also create habitat. Just a different kind and create a different niche that certain species are able to exploit and some are not. Coopers hawks are rarely seen because they are so quick, but seem to be having a population explosion in certain urban areas where bird feeders, and non-native french fry scavengers(starlings) in parking lots make for easy meals. So this is good for the coops, maybe not so good for kestrels that would live in the same area and end up being eaten by the coopers. Again, you have your ups and downs. Good for one but bad for the other. Unfortunately, there isn't really any going back. We can't say the last hundred years of medicine and the lives it has saved has been bad. Many of the good people on this board would not be hear without modern medicine. I don't wish my own death due to appendicitis. Without modern medicine, I would have died at age 23. However, my existence as a consumer negatively affects some species, somewhere.

I breed parrots because I like seeing the cycle. It brings me fulfillment. I also do it because I don'd like what I see as the current direction in domestication of parrots. Things that you touched on, selection for a specific trait. Selecting for color instead of health or temperament. If anything I worry that we are selecting against temperament for the sake of novel colors. Taking birds that are maybe innately on the aggressive side of normal for their species and breeding them, thereby leading to another generation of increased aggression. I believe the Russians have had an ongoing experiment with foxes and selective breeding for temperament and also studying the domestication process. A couple things I already see happening in parrots. Color changes and changes in the reproductive cycles. I've had cockatiels as pets and bred them at various points for nearly 30 years. In that time, compulsive egg laying and various body type changes have taken place. So in just 30 years, you've got color changes and sexual changes that were also noted in the domestication of foxes. However, because the unique colors fetch a higher price tag, maintaining fit wild type body, health and temperament are taking second place. One of the reasons I breed is to hopefully put quality birds into the pet and breeding population and hopefully have a slight counter to our tendency to select for the wrong traits. I have a pair of parrotlets sitting on eggs right now that will probably just give me cheap green birds. Mom is a blue, dad I think(hard to tell with all the recessive mutations around) is a normal green. The male has a compact body, nice coloration and matches the wild type for the species. I've had both of his parents and both have been long lived. This pairing won't make me a lot of money, but it will hopefully ad some strength to the mutations lines. I would also like to see more people putting good quality pets into breeding situations. I'm not going so far as to say that I'd like to domesticate them at this point, just act as a counter to prevent increasing aggression from becoming the norm. Especially in already aggressive species like amazons. I have to admit to being a hypocrite hear. My breeding male is pretty aggressive, however his mate is not and I chose to breed her because I'd like there to be more like her. If I breed one of their chicks, I will probably specifically select one of their less aggressive males that I think is a good physical representative to the species.

My life with birds goes something like this. I have have a rehomed goffins' that is a little nuts but we are working on it, and I accept her for what I can't change in her. Probably a result of her early life before me. I have my pet cockatoo that I've gone through some pretty major phobic behavior stuff with and come out the other side better for it. She taught me patience to a depth I didn't have before and to re-evaluate the way I handle animals. To give them the opportunity to come to me first. Not to force and be willing to let go of my own expectations and just be happy with allowing the bird to be happy. To recognize my own tendency toward dominance as a human trait, not a bird trait and to back off when I see myself behaving in such a way. She has made me a better person and no doubt a better bird owner. I have my group of amazons that I've raised from my own pair. I'm watching Gremlin become an adult and going through all the stuff young male amazons go through. Its a learning experience in dealing with aggression in a non-dominant manner while still not letting the bird's aggression escalate by getting the uperhand. I think he will teach me a lot and if he's not showing major aggression beyond normal amazon spice by the time he's 9 years old, I might pair him with a mate because physically he is a really good example of his kind and thus far he's been really low to moderate of what you'd expect of a male amazon with regard to aggression while still being a ladies man and interacting well with females of his own kind.

I've also got Cosmo my problem child hyacinth. I'm convinced she was force weaned. I think a lot of what we see with parrots being overly needy is related to handling food poorly during weaning. I'm early(first year apprentice) in my life of falconry, but I already know that lot of screaming and aggression toward the keeper from imprinted hawks is related to food. People who imprint goshawks in order to fly them less stressed and at a higher hunting weight go to great lengths not to associate themselves with food while raising their eyeass. There are different "recipes" for imprinting accipters but many find taking the bird to food or feeding the bird on the lure rather than on the glove decreases A LOT of the frustrated screaming around the mews, fly at your face and free hand aggression. Some people that imprint hawks take them everywhere with them. Car, office, drive through etc to decrease the fear reactions to unfamiliar things. They have the dog sitting close by while the bird eats so the bird learns a positive association between food and hunting dogs as partners rather than competitors. Its difficult to draw too many parallels between parrots and raptors. You can decrease food association in raptors easier than a parrot. Raptors if provided with a dish of food can self feed fairly early making it possible to bring the bird to the food rather than feeding by hand. I have a lot more reading to do on imprinting and i'm not sure I ever want to fly an imprinted hawk. However, I want to learn more about it for the sake of seeing if I can make any conclusions about how to use some of those methods in parrot keeping.

Also wanted to point out that imprinting in some species isn't nearly the "hardwired" thing many make it out to be. Just as with parrots, there have been cases of imprinted accipters willingly accepting a mate of their own kind and producing chicks. Its not a common thing and I'm not sure its even "googleable". However, I know some claim that British falconer's have achieved it with accipters but not maybe not falcons. I think I even remember Frank Beebe in one of his books hypothesizing than an imprint accipiter can be released back to the wild and sooner or later go back to its natural state. So even among species that are known for a more hardwired imprint, there are exceptions to the rule and as you pointed out a huge grey area. Basically, I think that with parrots, even in cases were the bird is overly obsessed with people, in MANY cases if flocked with its own kind, with minimal human interaction, you will start to see more "normal" wild type behaviors and even pair bonding. I think its possible to reset them or at least partially reset them. I don't think parrot species do a hard imprint as in the classical definition. Some species(male cockatoos and male greys) seem to have sexual problems sometimes/many times, if kept as a single pet for too many years. I still say, its not the hand-feeding itself that causes bad behaviors. Its rushing the weaning process and creating a bird that feels desperate for food and gets separation anxiety(what I think I have going on with Cosmo.) Or as with some cockatoos, unnecessarily dragging out the process past when the bird would biology be ready to wean then following it up with possibly selling too early, causing it to regress, getting that desperate hungry and separation fear thing going on, having to re-wean it, all in the absence of birds of its own kind. I'd like to see problem species like cockatoos and greys either kept in a nursery with birds of their own kind or flocked in an aviary for at least a few months post weaning. Birds that might be destined for breeding might need to stay flocked(especially male greys and cockatoos).

Then, its still up to the owner to do basic training. My parents had a wild caught LSC2 when I was growing up. Despite being parent raised, he still screamed when we left the room, still bit on occasion. Those aren't behaviors that are only made worse by the evils of imprinting, hand-feeding etc. Somewhere in there, you have to be willing to accept some of those innate behaviors and do some training to keep it from becoming out of control. As I think we'll both agree, one of the reasons not everyone should have a cockatoo. I also dont' think that the parents actually teach them to be gentle toward fingers. So letting them parent raise isn't going to get you a bird more likely not to break your fingers. If anything, amazons I've raise in the presence of other amazons go through a MUCH longer beak testing phase than amazons raised alone. My gentlest amazon ever was my first that was an only chick with no other amazons around to be raised with. My next best bird had a younger sibling that was injured in the nest so he was effectively raised an only bird after being moved out of the brooder.

I'm against setting standards for care. I admit that I wrestle with it, I've even made comments in the past that I wish we could require people to take a test before getting a parrot. I hate that I have that thought. I don't' think its a good idea for multiple reasons. Who would proctor the test? Who would write the test? I had a terrible time studying for my state's falconry test. All the study guides were written almost as trick questions. Multiple ways to interpret the same question. There's a way to answer it academically, then there is also a hypothetical answer that might be true in certain situations or that pertains to ethics. Also, by the time I took the test, some of the medical questions were already outdated and had to be crossed off. So much is a matter of opinion and it doesn't even necessarily relate to just good husbandry.

I'm against minimal standards for care based mostly on the fact that we have such a huge diversity in opinion right now with all the AR people and I'm not sure who would catch the ear of the politicians. With falconry, in most states, the falconers themselves worked with the DNR to make their own laws. With such division among the pet owning community, can you imagine what our laws would be for proper care of a cockatiel? That could be anything from, "while your at legislation lets make it illegal to keep them since they're suffering and there are so many in rescues anyway." To, "they need a 12' X 12' aviary with a mate to encourage their god given right to flight and flock." Or, it could be an acceptable cage size to live in an average person's home comfortably with some other guidelines written in as ideals but not requirements. If a huge cage is written into legislation, then what of the person who does rescue a bird with medical issues or psychological issues requiring a smaller enclosure. Should that person keep the bird under illegal conditions for the good of the bird? Euthanize the bird so as not to deal with the whole fiasco? Or put the bird in less than ideal but legally acceptable conditions? If someone says they need an aviary and the ability to fly, well I've got a cockatoo with half a wing missing and I don't want to see her 12 feet high on a perch where there isn't an adjoining wall or something to hold on to. She just does better in a cage.

And finally to learn more about the nature of predators and predation, I have my hawk. A big learning curve there to deal with how to train without eliciting food related aggression and talons buried in your flesh issues. However, its a beautiful thing to see your bird that you've trained from trap to first free flight drop out of a tree 200 yards away and land on my glove. I also have to say and maybe its just me, that even though I feel bad for the bunny, there is a certain degree of spiritual rightness with the world when she catches one, and I help her open it up and feast on her hard earned meal. Its a beautiful, primitive, visceral, tragic and peaceful thing if that makes any sense.

And in justification for parrots as pets in good homes, if you look at the people most concerned about wildlife and that actually move to get things done for them, look to the hunters and the people that live alongside those species. They are the first to send out the warning when populations are dropping, when something isn't right. The first to help plant new habitat. If you want to know about deer biology, talk to a big game hunter. People that don't own parrots see them as this expensive, exotic, weird high maintenance thing that some crazy people choose to live with. They watch nature programs to see what these animals look like and they naively agree with whatever is on that program because they don't know any better. Some programs on Animal Planet and other shows just give bad information, or the bad idea about things. One show might be overly AR motivated, another might be a documentary about parrots in the wild in which half the video clearly comes from computer generated images or parrots in captivity. The average person wouldn't know any difference because they haven't lived it. They haven't seen it in the wild, or they haven't lived with it in their own home. They have never laid hands on the animal and if we don't breed them, they never will be able to. They will never be able to learn beyond what someone else tells them. I don't take anything any one says as indisputable fact. I run it through my experience and intuition based on experience before deciding if I agree with that person or not. If I was never given the opportunity to have those experiences, how would I grow as a person or even have enough knowledge on the topic to know who to agree with?

If someone had never been to a martial arts class, they might watch a testosterone driven movie about beat downs or learn that one of the Boston bombers did martial arts training and decide its bad and nobody should do it. You can do martial arts to learn how to kill people, or you do it to learn more about yourself, your abilities and control of mind and body.

You can keep and breed parrots to acquire something flashy and new, you can acquire multiple birds out of an uncontrolled desire to get new and better things and become a hoarder. Or tell yourself you are rescuing but never adopt anything out until you also are a hoarder. Or you can breed indiscriminately out of desire to raise a cute baby with no regard for the genetics of the parents or the life it will live after. Or you can keep animals to learn more about them, more about yourself, to improve or preserve the species and share that joy with others.
Okay, I think I'm done. I might go back through and re-read some of what you posted and make more specific comments later. Hope it makes sense and isn't too fragmented. My key board key board keeps doubling my letters and I have go back and fix it and lose my train of thought.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Quite the read and lots to chew on. Wow, your exercise yesterday gave you lots of energy today.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
It's obvious that some of the people talking about Temple Gradin no clue who SHE was and how she got started in animal "rights." Or maybe I should say "interests."

I find it interesting that people who feel so strongly about people who are so strongly against breeding birds don't feel that way about all animals and don't think the same applies.

I personally agree with Howard. Everyone who wants a parrot should be allowed the opportunity to have one the same way anyone who wants a child can have one. Should they take care if it like a family member? Absolutely! But I don't think there's "one right way" with parrots anymore than there's one right way with children. And for all those people who believe you should only get parrots from rescues, did you only adopt your human children? There's been an over population problem and too many unwanted children for a very long time. There's no one right answer. You have to decide for yourself what's right for you.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I know I'll probably lose the respect of quite a bit of people here... and possibly get some not so nice remarks...

but for the longest while I've been thinking... about raising babies.

I know there is a terrible plight with parrots, but look around.. it's not just them.. it's dogs, it's cats, it's everything, and the sad thing is the breeding isn't going to stop. That's just the cruel reality of it... the LEAST LEAST I can do is be a good 'breeder' that educates my customers. Sure, I won't get as many people interested but I'm not going to blindly lead people into such a big responsibility... I'd also still help other parrots in need.

I don't plan to set up for another year, and I don't even know if it will support itself in funds, but I at least want to try. Raising my own was so rewarding... and sometimes I look back and feel a little sad that it's no longer appropriate for me to hand feed them... but if I do this I can continue what I love. It will be sad to say goodbye, but it would be unreasonable for me to keep them all. At least if I educate the new owners I'll have some comfort in knowing that I showed them the big picture, and I'll take comfort in knowing that they can contact me any time they need help.

So, before I get into things, what are ways to be a reputable breeder? I personally won't have pairs, I'll probably be doing whole-sale purchasing for a while until we get a farm.

Our current plans are start out small, abundance wean, allow fledging, allow interactions with our flock so they're socially well rounded, expose them to people, fresh fruits and veggies, and a well rounded seed/pellet diet(no peanuts and very limited sunflower seeds). We will give the option to clip them or not, but stress the risks of having them clipped, but the pros of not having them clipped so they can try to make an educated decision for themselves. Also continued support, and I will be sure to run my own personal tests for avian diseases as soon as they arrive in my care.

Is there anything I'd be missing or anything? Anything additional I should know?
Ummm what happened to the poster of the thread? I wonder in all of this what happened with them?

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@thekarens I wonder if you're talking about my posts? Because I actually am familiar with Ms. Gradin and a bit of her history having met her way back in the day when a relative had one of her very early generation cattle chutes installed on his farm. Having said that, I never really kept with her and then all the sudden started reading articles referencing her and attended a few conferences where people were quoting her. Needless to say I felt kind of excited because it was one of those situations where I could "I knew/met her before she became famous."

Are you seriously comparing human childbearing to choosing to buy a wild animal from a breeder?

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
No, I wasn't referring to you and yes I am comparing a human to a pet than can possibly live almost as long as a human, specifically to those that feel it's completely wrong to buy from a breeder.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Hmm, my child is a rehome but does breed! And I do know who Temple Grandin is.