• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of getting a cockatiel

Newt

Meeting neighbors
Hello all!
I am considering getting a new pet and was thinking of a cockatiel. My mom had some when I was younger and I used to love listening to them and watching them cuddle with her :) I had birds when I was young and sadly they did not do very well, and that was my fault because I was a teenager and had no idea what I was doing. I am 32 (almost 33) now. I do have some questions though.

The cage I was thinking of is this one: Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart

I am wondering if that is big enough for one or two. I know the cage my mom had hers in was WAY too small and she had three of them. The one she had them in looked more suited for maybe a parakeet. Also, if I get two will they bond with each other so I will not be able to handle them or will we be the three amigos? :) The reason I was thinking of getting two is because I am at work all day three days a week, then half days on two days of the week. So I would only have four days a week for good quality time. That being said.....is that enough time even if I have two that can keep each other company?!

It would be a long time before I get them as I need to research more and think on it first. BUT, this is the main concern I have before even jumping in :) I do have a zoo complete with a dog, a diabetic cat, reptiles, small mammals, and invertebrates so I am used to routine maintenance of animals. I suffer from anxiety and caring for my pets just helps with calming me and helps keep me focused on things.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there, I have 2 in a slightly smaller cage than that.

We ALL kept them in too-small cages back in the day! Now we know more. Tiels generally will bond with you even if they have a friend.... Mine both love me, they are 2 hens not bonded to each other but they 'flock.' They call to me if I am in the other room, and ride my shoulder a lot (separately).

Wow you have a lot of pets. Personally I wouldn't get a bird if I had cats and reptiles, but that's just me.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
My cat is very old and her hunting days are long behind her :) And my reptiles stay in their tanks. I just have a bearded dragon and a ball python, neither would have interest in a bird, and they are too big for a bird to have interest in them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That cage is low o the ground. That mean cats can terrorize any bird inside. Look for a flight cage not so low.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
Only thing is higher ones are smaller on the inside. Hedwig, my cat, is very old though and her hunting days are long behind her. She spends most days sleeping in the dogs kennel (not sure why, I think it is to spite my dog, lol).

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only thing is higher ones are smaller on the inside. Hedwig, my cat, is very old though and her hunting days are long behind her. She spends most days sleeping in the dogs kennel (not sure why, I think it is to spite my dog, lol).
I thought that about my lazy old cat too, until he killed my budgie.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
That's about the size of the one my tiel shares with her boyfriend (who thinks he's a cockatiel), but I do worry about the cat. Even if his hunting days are over, your kitty can still stress the birds out by watching them.

Vision makes large cages that you can put up on tables and expand by buying more bars and connectors. This one might work as long as you're EXTREMELY careful about shutting the door and keeping the cat out of whatever room the birds are in.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That's about the size of the one my tiel shares with her boyfriend (who thinks he's a cockatiel), but I do worry about the cat. Even if his hunting days are over, your kitty can still stress the birds out by watching them.

Vision makes large cages that you can put up on tables and expand by buying more bars and connectors. This one might work as long as you're EXTREMELY careful about shutting the door and keeping the cat out of whatever room the birds are in.

You know bird people have a tendency to give cats a bad rep, and quite often it is not even true.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
For the record, I don't have a cat (told hubby it would complete the cycle LOL dog, cat, bird) but my DOG is the biggest pain in the butt about the birds. Other dogs have never cared; this one wants to pick them up. And has. So far she has not hurt one but it takes constant vigilance. Even when we think we shut the bird room door and latched it, she will get in there sometimes.

And I now play with caiques at 6 a.m., before she is out of her crate.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
I am actually more worried about my dog. Although she is very good with my other pets, she is good at understanding what is a pet and what is a toy and who needs personal space....except when it comes to me of course.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have cats, a gecko, rats, and 2 quakers; it can be done :)

That said, my cats don't bother any of them, BUT if a one of my cats is in the room with a bird they will stalk it. My Jasmine is 17 and sleeps 22 hours a day and while the rats don't trigger her instincts, the flapping of wings still do occasionally! So for safety I do keep the cats separate from the rats and birds, and the rats also separate from the birds (they are also a natural predator of birds). It's more work but less stressful.

I have had that cage in the past. It is not a bad cage, but I did find it terrible to put together and it's sort of annoying to clean because of the finish, and there is a spot where the seeds and pellets and poop get trapped at the bottom and it's gross. I will say if you have to move anytime in the next few years and will need to disassemble it and reassemble it more than once, you might grow to hate it :lol: Those are really the main gripes I have with it though.

Two is almost always better than one! They are flock creatures and they definitely can get depressed by themselves, even if you are home all day! It's hard to replace a birdy buddy! If you handle both they should let you be friends with them too.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
it's sort of annoying to clean because of the finish, and there is a spot where the seeds and pellets and poop get trapped at the bottom and it's gross.
I agree. No problems here assembling, as hubby is mechanical engineer and loooooves to put things together.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sylvester

Hit the Road

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Or pessimistic. I agree with asking questions, and doing your homework before getting a pet, but if we all went by 'what can kill my pet' nobody would be getting one.

It's not pessimistic when its a sad reality that happened just over a week ago :(