• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of getting a cockatiel

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I never said they're a bird's worst nightmare?
And of course cats know how to hunt. How do you think they've decimated wild bird populations across the world? They're obligate carnivores with the instincts necessary to eat.
"They've decimated wild bird populations across the wild" Okay, that explains it, you drank the Kool-Aid.

First of all it takes quite the hunting feline to catch a bird. Birds not only have the benefit of flying, but also eyes on the sides of their heads, not to mention sounding a warning cry to all of the other birds. Most feral cats rely on catching small mammals for their dinners, not birds.

And when I spoke of cats "playing" rather than hunting, I was speaking of the average pampered house cat.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
"They've decimated wild bird populations across the wild" Okay, that explains it, you drank the Kool-Aid.

First of all it takes quite the hunting feline to catch a bird. Birds not only have the benefit of flying, but also eyes on the sides of their heads, not to mention sounding a warning cry to all of the other birds. Most feral cats rely on catching small mammals for their dinners, not birds.

And when I spoke of cats "playing" rather than hunting, I was speaking of the average pampered house cat.
Sure mate, that's why millions of birds in my own city are killed every year by pet cats who are allowed to roam.

My cat is a "pampered housecat". Didn't stop him stalking and killing my bird.

Dozens of people on this forum alone have lost beloved birds to their predatory pets. As far as I'm concerned, it's our responsibility to warn people about the dangers so they don't go through the same tragic nightmares we have. I've said my piece and given a warning, and that's all I can do.

Peace.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Sure mate, that's why millions of birds in my own city are killed every year by pet cats who are allowed to roam.

My cat is a "pampered housecat". Didn't stop him stalking and killing my bird.

Dozens of people on this forum alone have lost beloved birds to their predatory pets. As far as I'm concerned, it's our responsibility to warn people about the dangers so they don't go through the same tragic nightmares we have. I've said my piece and given a warning, and that's all I can do.

Peace.
Yeah, you said your piece while greatly exaggerating the dangers that cats hold. I just did a 20 page paper on feral cats this last summer , so trust me, the research is still fresh on my mind.

You, on the other hand, are handing out bogus information. How was 'your conclusion' met, where is the study, and how did they know they were "pet cats"?

Dude, the author is an adult, so I don't think she is going to let the cat and bird romp together.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, you said your piece while greatly exaggerating the dangers that cats hold. I just did a 20 page paper on feral cats this last summer , so trust me, the research is still fresh on my mind.

You, on the other hand, are handing out bogus information. How was 'your conclusion' met, where is the study, and how did they know they were "pet cats"?

Dude, the author is an adult, so I don't think she is going to let the cat and bird romp together.
Telling someone that my cat killed my bird is an exaggeration?

All you need is google, dude.

Cats, the No. 1 killer of birds in Canada | CBC News

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Telling someone that my cat killed my bird is an exaggeration?

All you need is google, dude.

Cats, the No. 1 killer of birds in Canada | CBC News

No, but rambling on about cats like they are Ted Bundy in a fur coat, is a little disturbing.

And how was the study conducted? My question to you was how would anyone know if they were feral or pet cats. There is no way of knowing.

There are many reasons for bird declines, windmills, windows, golden eagles, hawks, hunting, feral cats, insecticides, etc...... and yes, I googled it, and it did not place feral cats front and center.

But while we are at it, just who is responsible for feral cats in the first place? You might want to look in the mirror for that answer.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, but rambling on about cats like they are Ted Bundy in a fur coat, is a little disturbing.

And how was the study conducted? My question to you was how would anyone know if they were feral or pet cats. There is no way of knowing.

There are many reasons for bird declines, windmills, windows, golden eagles, hawks, hunting, feral cats, insecticides, etc...... and yes, I googled it, and it did not place feral cats front and center.

But while we are at it, just who is responsible for feral cats in the first place? You might want to look in the mirror for that answer.
You must be really overanalysing everything I've written, my dude. I'm not making cats out to be monsters, or "a bird's worst nightmare" or "Ted Bundy in a fur coat". You're putting all sorts of lunacy in my mouth. Literally all I said was that my cat killed by bird, and you went on the attack. Not even just toward me, but to others who were just trying to clear things up. Please chill out.

Yep, you're right, I'm responsible for feral cats. :laughin:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You must be really overanalysing everything I've written, my dude. I'm not making cats out to be monsters, or "a bird's worst nightmare" or "Ted Bundy in a fur coat". You're putting all sorts of lunacy in my mouth. Literally all I said was that my cat killed by bird, and you went on the attack. Not even just toward me, but to others who were just trying to clear things up. Please chill out.

Yep, you're right, I'm responsible for feral cats. :laughin:
Nice backpedaling. Okay, don't be getting stupid on me, dude. I think you know I was referring to human beings (you know, mankind) as being behind the fiendish feral cat.

Oh I see, then it must not have been you whining about how phantom cats have wiped out all of the birds in your city.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice backpedaling. Okay, don't be getting stupid on me, dude. I think you know I was referring to human beings (you know, mankind) as being behind the fiendish feral cat.

Oh I see, then it must not have been you whining about how phantom cats have wiped out all of the birds in your city.
Calling someone stupid over an inane conversation is incredibly rude and childish.
I clearly knew what you meant. It just has literally nothing to do with me trying to warn someone that her cat poses a potential threat to her future bird.

I'm done, mate. Argue yourself in circles all you like, but this is getting petty and ridiculous, and has completely derailed OP's thread. Please stick to offering advice in future.

Last edited:

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Can we get a moderator in here? Come one people...enough!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There has not been anything posted since Friday that has to do with the topic that this thread was started with. Please return to the original topic, or this thread will have to be closed.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
There has not been anything posted since Friday that has to do with the topic that this thread was started with. Please return to the original topic, or this thread will have to be closed.
I will not have any species of animal vilified. To me it equates to the 'big bad wolf' nonsense. However, I respect your decision and will desist.

Last edited: