• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of a Pi

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
He had them every spring, but for each year he was getting better and better.
As is Maximus. The first time was the worst, prolonged, sudden, out of no where.....leaving you wondering what alien invaded my parrot. Has gotten better each year.

Pausing to remember Eloy, what a spectacular pionus. About same age as Maximus. Loving hugs to you, JT.

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Yes, he was. I often think of him to...:sadhug:

Oh well, I hope my little guy is just on the mild side, like Andre, and that next spring will be similar to his first. I've heard more experiences about them being mellow than very hormonal, but when it happens... it must be very upsetting. It's great that Maximus is calming down, year after year.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was just mad at the world and scared to death when he got here, he would suddenly bite without warning at all. If you found a trigger, even after he decided he liked us he would become a flying kamikaze bird of death and it was best to duck him if you didn't get rid of the trigger fast enough.
Even after he loved us he could be pissy and bite, but he never tried as hard or as fast. He could take out a good chunk when he truly meant to cuase damage.
He also loved hanging out, getting part of dinner, scritches, and he kept getting better as time went on and we grew to understand each other. One day he looked at me while standing on the bathroom counter and he just reached out and gently touched my nose with his beak, it really touched me as I figured I was in for a correction nip and I guess he wanted to show he cared.
So they can go both ways and still really care about you but don't take anything for granted till you know each other.
I sure miss him and his grumpy self, of course I miss Nerd and his brother who wasn't with me very long unlike Nerd, and I love gentle wild boy Dobby and sure glad Momazon thought I would be a worthy dad when her life changed.
Like we've all said each one is his own individual so it's luck of the draw and socialization, plus personality but they all can be a great family member with time and love.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Was considering a maxi when i got rio. They were bigger than what i was used to & more $. I really did make the best choice with Rio.

If I ever get another ld like a pionus.

Fav being bronze wing n dusky....also the rarer.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Is it normal behavior for them to become that hormonal as they get older or does it more so depend on the bird do you think?

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I'd say it totally depends on the bird's personality... :shrug: as you can see, there are big differences between what everyone experiences with their pis. While having some similar traits, they're completely different.

Every one agrees that your baby bird's character will evolve when it matures, but the extent of these changes is unpredictable and depends on many things...

All I can say for sure is that you don't generally see as much agressive behaviors with pionus parrots than with many other species. It can still happen though! and possibly more with males than females, apparently. I guess you'll just have to see how it goes with your pi. :tongue2: Lovebirds are known to be agressive and teritorial... but it doesn't meen they're all hormonal monsters. ;)

The trait I love the most with my BWs is their ability to bond to many birds and people. It makes them great family pets and limits bonding issues! (that greatly complicate things when hormones kick in...)

I often hear that BWs are on the quiet and reserved side compared to maxis and blue heads, whereas white caps and duskys are supposedly more "high energy" and temperamental... but I have no idea if it's true... again, I think every pi and it's bird/human relationship is unique so I would just go for the pi you feel the most drawn to. In my case, it was BH and BW and I only knew of a good BW breeder so my choice was easy to make. I hope to add a blue headed girl or two to my flock in a few years... when my big aviary is finished... let my guys choose a mate if they feel like it... (no nests and babys though!) I just love to see them in flocks.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Another thing to show their more laid back attitude. I came home to find Andre had gotten a toenail caught in a frayed area in his cage cover. The cover was just over the back of his cage. He had tried to get himself free and it was all twisted around his foot. When I walked into the bird room Andre yelled HI at the top of his lungs. Something he never does. And he didn't come foreword to the front of the cage. So I walked over to his cage and saw what had happened. With his toenail caught he had pulled a section of the cover into his cage and got it all twisted up but his toe was still outside the cage. I had to yell to my husband to come help. I reached into the cage and held Andre while my husband cut a huge whole in the cover to make sure he didn't nick Andre's foot. I then brought Andre out of the cage sat on the floor and very gently cut off pieces and unwrapped other pieces until he was free. Andre sat quietly in my lap while I worked on the piece of cover and his foot. He never bit or tried to posture. He just remained calm while I helped him. Keep in mind Andre does not like to be held, he does not like to sit in my lap. He never panicked either in his cage or while I was holding him. If he had panicked he would have broken his toe.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Yikes! what a scare. Good job you got to him in time!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Another thing to show their more laid back attitude. I came home to find Andre had gotten a toenail caught in a frayed area in his cage cover. The cover was just over the back of his cage. He had tried to get himself free and it was all twisted around his foot. When I walked into the bird room Andre yelled HI at the top of his lungs. Something he never does. And he didn't come foreword to the front of the cage. So I walked over to his cage and saw what had happened. With his toenail caught he had pulled a section of the cover into his cage and got it all twisted up but his toe was still outside the cage. I had to yell to my husband to come help. I reached into the cage and held Andre while my husband cut a huge whole in the cover to make sure he didn't nick Andre's foot. I then brought Andre out of the cage sat on the floor and very gently cut off pieces and unwrapped other pieces until he was free. Andre sat quietly in my lap while I worked on the piece of cover and his foot. He never bit or tried to posture. He just remained calm while I helped him. Keep in mind Andre does not like to be held, he does not like to sit in my lap. He never panicked either in his cage or while I was holding him. If he had panicked he would have broken his toe.
When was that happened? Today?
I will say god job to the three of you. Your husband for cutting wise, you for not react more then to get him free, and Andre for trusting you enough and allowed you to do things he normally hate. I think that all of this is a winning concept. ♥♥♥

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
When was that happened? Today?
I will say god job to the three of you. Your husband for cutting wise, you for not react more then to get him free, and Andre for trusting you enough and allowed you to do things he normally hate. I think that all of this is a winning concept. ♥♥♥

This happen about 3 years ago. I was so amazed that Andre just sat there calmly while we worked to get him free.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
When Andre is doing his strutting, if my husband approaches his cage even just to walk by, Andre really fluffs up, opens his beak and leans forward. If my husband doesn't stay out of reach, he would get bitten. Unless of course he is holding a high value treat then he all of a sudden decides he doesn't want to maim him.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Is it normal behavior for them to become that hormonal as they get older or does it more so depend on the bird do you think?
Normal, even with good parronts who train them and read their body language.

But the amount of hormonal reaction can vary. Don't worry one can get through it. (I am not discounting how hard and straining this is on the owner, but but changing things up one can get through it). Remember it is normal like human hormonal changes and just love them through the changes. They will be grateful and love you back.

Lots of male pi lose homes at the 3-4 year old age (told to me by a rescue).....coinciding with the hormonal issues

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
One thing I am wondering is the difference in the female behavior to the male behavior? What would you consider the bigger differences?