• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of a Pi

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've been sharing my life with bronze wings for a year and a half now. They're fantastic birds! about the same size as blue heads, on the quiet side for parrots, not destructive, (again, for parrots...) mine are very food motivated to, which makes them easy and eager to train.

They have never bit me although my female was teritorial around her cage with anyone but me and my male doesn't like my children. He's not agressive but he displays very clearly so they know to back of. I love the fact that they have bonded to my husband as well as me and to each other. I find mine very social. I think that they're an easy to live with, medium parrot.

Keep in mind that when they do scream, it can be pretty loud! it's usually infrequent but it depends on your bird, on how you react to it and the environment he lives in to. Mine are only ever set of by the vacuum cleaner or other loud noises.

They are not "pearch potatoes" if provided with a stimulating environment but they are not hyper birds. They're affectionate and enjoy their scritches and just following you around on your shoulder but they aren't demanding, very cuddly, clingy either. Apache is velcro in his own way. He's always with us when we're home and he looooves his cuddles and kisses but it took us months to build this relationship with him.

I feel Pionus parrots aren't touchy feely birds to start with, you have to go slow and earn their trust first, teach them to enjoy all over body touches.They like to observe new situations and can seem standofish and shy to start with but they're very curious and always end up in the middle of all our family action! mine are playful to.

Another good thing is that they aren't easily spooked and stressed out, they love new things to explore and play with, they've quickly grown confident and take everything in stride. I find them very predictable and easy to read to. Apache says a few words and has changed his contact call into a whistle that I taught him but they're not known to be good talkers.

I freefligh mine indoor and out without problems or house items destruction and bronze wings are gorgeous in flight.

I hope that helps! I can't say much about other pionus species but I feel like they all have the same kind of personality. Their traits will vary greatly depending on the individual more than the specie...

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
There are slight differences among species but sex is most crucial. Females seem more cuddly and have less aggressive hormonal issues as they pass through puberty.

But to own a pi is very much a privilege. They study you slowly before they decide to trust and love you. And then....you have their hearts...male or female

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I don't know about males being more agressive... our female was more terrorial than our male. She would have more mood swings to! again, no biting but agressive posturing.. Apache's just very predictable and more easy going than she was. She did nip my husband a few times because he didn't listen to her as well as I do. (Never a mean bite from either of them though.)

I read things about male amazons becoming very agressive sometimes and pionus males seem mellower to me. I think a lot depends on how you interact and deal with them? if you respect all their warning signs, I can't see them becoming agressive?

Apache's not fond of our kids but because we work on it daily, he tolerates them a lot more than he used to and even when he's trying to be intimidating, he doesn't bite unless he feels like he's out of options.

Again, I think it's an individual trait more than a male versus female thing? mine are going through puberty and that's why these little changes have kicked in... but it's very manageable.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Andre is not aggressive. In the 6 or 7 years we have been together he has only bitten me three times 1 was when he got excited and went to grab a treat from me and missed. 1 was when Guisseppe flew over to Andre's cage and started to get aggressive with him and Andre decided to protect his cage. In the process of breaking them up both of them bit me. The 3rd time I was messing with things inside while he was strutting on top. I removed and old toy and he lunged and bit me.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Max''s puberty stuff has been very agressive and extreme and it definitely was not because of how I or Charlie interacted with him. Believe me I respect warning signs and also know about changing diet during puberty. Also his aggression was not toward me but Charlie. Charlie isn't aggressive but I got him at 8 past the puberty stage. Others with male pi (especially more than 1 male pi) have discussed their aggressive personalities with me. Both of my boys have cuddly moments but descriptions from those with female pi seem to be of a sweeter personality.

Charlie is 1/2 Maxi and talks in a clear voice. Maxis are supposed to be the best talkers. But some on here have Maxis that do not talk. Maximus is a white cap and he talks as fairly well.

Essentially each pi has his or her own personality. Descriptions are very general.

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I've often heard that white caps can be more temperamental than their pi relatives... so maybe that holds some truth? did you get Max as a baby?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't emphasize about the strut! Walk away from the strut :backout:

Leto is mostly an ambient attention bird but does really like hanging out on the couch with me on my shoulder for about an hour and preening. He also likes traveling around the house on my finger while I do house stuff. He's a good helper :)

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Mine also struts when he's over excited and very happy... talk about mixed signals! :wacky:

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm curious about the strut. What is the usual warning when this happens? And seems my husband is winning on the adoption front. We are also looking at getting a baby bird instead. He is worried about me not having the bond like I do with Gracie which I do understand. But as I have explained to him who knows how many times I would like the opportunity to give a parrot a good home where it will be loved and very well cared for but he's not budging. So that being said have any of you had your cutie little fids as babies?

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
I've had my three as babies. Falcon's only just arrived home Tuesday.

The strut can be a intimidation atempt, if they're feeling teritorial of their cage for example or they're just mad at you for some reason... but it can also be an attempt at getting your attention or just an overexcited pi display. The strut is the actual usual "back of, i'm mad" warning. In Apache's case, it's usually not so... you just learn to read your bird. ;)

When he's upset, he flares his tail, puffs up his feathers, stretches his wings, stands tall and starts chatting in what sounds like a very excited voice. :laugh: He looks very cute actually but if you don't take him seriously... he kind of goes into a scary crouch fluffed up mad pi mode with stinky eyes and fake lunges at you. If you insist, he'll go for you, but if you leave him be, he calms down instantly. He doesn't hold grudges.

Cheyenne was the same but she used to give less warnings before nipping, so you had to pay extra attention to her body language when she was around her cage or didn't want something.

They're my first parrots and I havn't had any problems with them yet... Apache's only entering puberty so we'll see how it goes. Falcon is also a male so we'll see how he evolves to. :)For now, he's a shy but curious, clumsy young bird who has everything to learn. :heart:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I've often heard that white caps can be more temperamental than their pi relatives... so maybe that holds some truth? did you get Max as a baby?
I don't believe his puberty has much to do with him being a white cap, but rather a male with raging hormones. Good luck with your experiences with puberty as it doesn't sound like you have fully experienced it yet. Parrots that are docile babies often become another parrot in puberty. Even my female tiel was a completely another bird when her hormones were high.

Last edited:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Thanks. :D I just can't picture him as an agressive bird... but we'll see! it's good to be prepared for any situation anyway. Any parrot can become hormonal and pis are no exception. ;) some react more to these changes than others...

Did you have any trouble Eloy?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
As I said Andre is not really aggressive. Yes he does the Pionus strut. Leave him alone for a few minutes and he's fine. He is about 6 or 7 years old. I got him when he was 3 months old. I can't remember what year I got him or even what month but I know we drove home in a snow storm and it took us twice as long to get home as it did to go get him.

With Andre the strut is an indication that he is angry, upset, or just wishes to be left alone. He paces back and forth on his cage, all puffed up and with his "shoulders" hunched. If you approach him while he is strutting he will open his beak and do a fake lunge. If you don't back off he will bite with the next lunge.

With Andre to test how pissed he is; I will ask him to shake. If he is really pissed he will back up. If he is just mildly annoyed he will slick down his feathers and raise a foot to shake. Shaking "hands" is his most favorite thing to do right after eating. If he is feeling mildly annoyed it is enough to change his mood. If posted off he needs space and time.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Andre sounds very much like my BWs. :tup:

My little guy's a year and a half old and has changed from a very sociable, very easy baby bird, to a young adult entering puberty. Yes, of course, like any species, he has changed. As I said, he's become jealous of my children, standofish with strangers, generaly less tolerant and makes his opions and temper known. But, because of our constant training, he's not become a one person bird and he's learnt to tolerate my children instead of trying to chase them away from me, he's also incouraged to interact with visitors even though he wouldn't if they didn't have treats for him. (he used to love everybody)

I don't see why maturing into an adult bird would automatically go hand in hand with agression. Any time I see a potential issue arising, I work around it and compose with him so he has no need to become agressive.

I don't find him hard to manage or moody or anything... just minor changes and some atempts to bond to closely to me. (food regurgitation mainly, he would be jealous of Cheyenne if she was getting to much of my attention to his liking etc.)

I know that some people experience hormonal problems with their birds and i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong with your pis, but I don't feel it's fair to say that males are more agressive than females and that you have to automatically expect it when puberty hits.

It's good to be warned of potential problems so you're prepared for the worst, should it happen... but I guess I have problems with generalisations. :ashamed1: I feel like females can have potential problems like excessive egg laying, becoming cage territorial, one person birds, moody etc. I definitely felt my Cheyenne's hormones kicking in more than Apache's and she's always been less "cuddly"... but I do realise that he's not fully mature yet so he has time to change.

Anyway, we're all entitled to our own opinion on this subject.;) I know that it greatly varies from one individual to another. I just feel like most pionus parrots are no where near as agressive as amazons or toos...from what i've heard and read throughout the years anyway...

As for getting along with another male pi, it's much easier when introduced as young birds who have bonded before puberty hits. They sometimes form same sex mated bonds... i'm hoping mine will get along, being young and having never been single birds...

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Did you have any trouble Eloy?
Yes I had. When Eloy was 1½ he was a really monster. Very difficult to handle him, was so mad and did attack me like he wanted to kill me.
He went from a cuddle loving bird to a monster over the night.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Wow! same age as mine to... how long did his angry bird phase last?