• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of a Pi

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So I have gone through and read most of the good bad and ugly on the Pionus parrots but one thing I'm trying to figure out is what are the differences. And what is a Sy or Si depending on the site you look at lol. There is a possibility in the future we might be adding a Pi to our flock when the time is right.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
All Pi's are perfect, but nothing beats a Maxi! ♥ :D

No they are so individual, what Pionus are you thinking of?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Well I do like the bronze wing and I'm curious about what maxi sy is exactly. I'm all ears :bliss:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Ok! :)
They are 4 different Maxis depending on where they live. The Siy is the biggest but they look almost the same.
I have one Pionus maximiliani maximiliani (Akela) and one Pionus maximiliani Siy. (Eliy, and Eloy was also a Siy)

I don't know much about the BW but @Ella.pi does. :)
As I said they are individual, but you can say that the BH screams more, and is a little bit smaller then a Maxi.
And the WC is the clown, and also the smallest Pi.
The Maxi is the biggest, the best talker, and the most silent of them all. But!! I have one (Akela) that is very loud.
The Dusky is also very small, but screams a lot for what I have heard. The Dusky isn't so common.

Ask what you want to know more. :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
How noisey would you say they are and cage size? Are the social or more solitary birds that just like to be left to their own devices or do they like to hang out with you?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They are very silent, but Akela flock calls every morning and evening and that is very loud.
They are like most parrots, social. Both mine prefer to be in the same room as me all the time, (the follow me and I have no privacy at all) and sometimes on my shoulder demanding scritches, interaction and love.
They are not parrots that lies on their back playing, but both mine loves to play.
They are easy to train as they are very food motivated. Most Pi's loves food. Both mine will do almost everything for a sunflower kernel. :D

I think they are perfect. Social, but not so demanding. Sweet, good fliers and love trick training. Boys can be aggressive, just like a Amazon.

Cage size = Big! It can never get to big! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ernie is soooo quiet. He talks but he does not shriek, except if there's too much noise like dogs barking and people talking loud all at once, then he does this whistle thing (think school teacher blowing whitsle to get attention). Then he's done.

My cage is like this but his door is open 24/7.

He's a rescue therefore very different from what you might get but here is a thread about him. But I'm Not Ready to Go to Bed! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There aren't a ton of pionus breeders in the US. Don't get caught up in si or sy because you're not going to have much of a choice with this I don't think.

Maximillion are the largest. They do range in their noise level. My Leto is relatively quiet but have loud outbursts and a flock call that I can't ignore.

IMO, it comes down to looks. But in reality there are subtle differences among the bronze wing, white cap, maxi, and blue head. I don't think you can go wrong with a Pi.

Let's call out the Pi peeps. @Maxsmom @Perriewinkle @Dartman @zoo mom @cetan @momazon @Lisidou

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I like the wild look of the bronze wing.

Perriewinkle

I feel like there is more of a difference in the sexes vs each kind. There is a lady in my FB pi group asking basically the same question,

is it you? lol

In general.. and mind you this is an "outsiders looking in" type approach. Pi tend to be more quiet, and enjoy sitting with you, near you, on you, vs direct and constant attention. They are social and like to watch whats going on in the house.

My roommate has a tiel and I have Felicia, a BW.. the largest difference I see, besides size.. is that Felicia is calm and steady.. and the tiel is zoom zoom zoom.. what's this?... ohhh shiny!.. can I tug on this?? and Felicia is more "that's kinda cool mom, but I think it might eat me.. lemme see what you do first"

Pi tend to lean towards cage aggression.. atleast those I have seen. Their "chosen" hooman can do whatever they wish in the cage, but anyone else gets big angry bird looks for just walking too close.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I've had 4 Maxis now, Ferd and his brother Nerd, Nerd was with me 31 years, Lurch, and now Dobby who was given to me after Lurch escaped early this year:(
Nerd was my best buddy, shy, mostly quiet, and a stubborn happy runt. Lurch was a used parrot who was mad at the world, grumpy, and he talked and kept learning new words. He was not afraid to bite but after a mere 5 years we had reached a understanding and were friends, though he would still bite if offended enough. He could get noisy too.
Dobby is a very gentle soul who is well socialized, talks, does electronic noises, and loves to whistle. He has for now chosen my sister has his favorite. He has never fully bitten anyone yet and loves to get into things and chew stuff. He likes everyone and will step up readily and is a very skilled flyer. He follows and lands on my sister whenever she tries to leave the room.
Lurch always did that to me, Nerd walked everywhere as he had some bad flight feathers and would walk to my room to find me if I was neglecting my daddy duties.
They all were similar but completely their own individual and I love them all, even grumpy boy Lurch..

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have had 2 BH Pics. Olivia was 3 years old when she died from internal injuries from flying into a window. And Andre my current little boy.

Both were of fairly consistent temperament. Neither were interested in biting. If they didn't want attention they would walk or back away. With Olivia if she didn't want your attention she would push your hand away with her beak. If you kept trying she would walk away. If you persisted you deserved the bite she would give you.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
A cat replied before I was done. Andre backs away and if you persist he opens his beak and leans forward. After that the next step is a bite. Both would sound off 3 or 4 times a day, and it is rather loud. And a BH Pi alarm call will make your ears ring. Both could talk and had a few words and phrases.

One very important thing. Do not mess with a Pionus who is strutting. When they strut keep your hands to yourself.

Both of them preferred ambient attention. They want to be with you and close to you but not necessarily on you. They like to be talked to, sung to, and whistled to but not necessarily hands on attention.

I hope you get your Pionus. They are delightful parrots.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby is a turn your back or walk away bird to. If you keep pushing it he'll posture, fluff, strike to miss and finally give you a ferocious beaking or a good hard pinch.
Biting is the last tool in his box.
Nerd pretty much let me do anything to him and I alone was allowed to reach into his cage. He only bit when scared or hurt.
Lurch was so mad at the world and scared he totally quit giving any warnings at all and went straight to a quick and hard bite. It took a long time to earn his trust and love. He did finally give fair warnings once he realized I would respect him and he finally decided I was trustworthy and a friend.
Some make you earn everything you get, some will instantly be your friend, some are somewhere in between and no matter which you get it will be worth the patience it takes if you're willing to work at it.
Once you have their trust and love they'll be a loyal, loving, family member the rest of their life.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Lol No I didn't post anything in a FB group lol. I honestly didn't even think to look there. Since I found this place this is usually my first stop for anything parrot related.

All of a sudden my husband is starting to put his two cents in on what kind of bird I should be getting for our next flock member. I am taking a lot of things into consideration because of him and his grandmother. One I don't want a parrot that can talk very well because I don't feel like having to explain to the cops that my husband taught the bird to have a foul mouth. I think that can only work for so many cop calls to the house. Second a bird that has a gentle disposition. We have been so lucky with our lovies and his grandmother. They have both been so gentle with her it's just so amazing. Gracie for all her spit fire and crazy is so gentle with her you would think she is a different bird. And Bo is her bird hands down. He sings to her and bird talks to her, watches TV with her. He hates me even though I change his food and water clean the cage and all that good stuff. can't even look at him without getting the hiss and open beak going on.

My husband wants a bird that has a cute face and has expression. I told him all birds have that and he needs to remember they are not people with eyebrows the weirdo. I think he is just so use to seeing all the expressions on Gracie and Bo and seeing a different parrot he just doesn't see it yet. I'll have to go look for some videos and show him the facial exppressions so he will see what I am talking about.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tell huby...looks are not everything else maybe you might be with another...:rofl:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They show their emotions with their eyes and body language, if he can't see it that's a pity because a happy or mad Pi is pretty clear to me and I love their happy eyes. Have him watch when your brds are getting head scritches and I bet he'll see happy from their faces and eyes.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Oh he can see how Gracie get when I give her scritches. I keep trying to tell him you need to see them in person not just from a still shot. He's just to fussy and he keeps for getting the bird is for me not him even though he does have to be able to handle the bird and be able to spend time with them when I am not around which is why I need a bird that can be around him and I don't have to worry about it trying to kill him like Gracie does.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I think that goes for every parrot lol. I know Gracie actually get a pissed off look on her face when she gets mad. Like and actual mad look on her face. It's funny but scary at the same time for her being so little.