• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures There's a crocodile in my bathtub!!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Soooooooo, this happened!

20181223_181353.jpg 20181223_181414.jpg

This is Panzer. He's extremely old, he's completely blind, he's missing part of his tail, he has a tumour on his leg, he loves apples...and he is the newest member of the hrafn household.

I'm such a big softie.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Aww, is he a skink?

*Wait, tegu! I'm terrible with identifying reptiles.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow! He is mesmerizing. :xflove: You have such a big heart! Thank you for welcoming this beautiful creature into your home! Based off of what you have described, it sounds like the poor guy has been through a lot! It is so kind of you to be giving him a good life now.:bluhug:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Along with the Year of Vet Bills, this also seems to be the Year of Bringing Home Dream Pets I Never Thought I'd Have At Twenty-Five, lol.

I have always, always been in love with B&G macaws and B&W tegus, but figured both would have to wait until I was in my sixties, owned a huge house, had a million dollars....and yet, here I am! And I regret nothing!

Next up, a horse. :roflmao:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! He is mesmerizing. :xflove: You have such a big heart! Thank you for welcoming this beautiful creature into your home! Based off of what you have described, it sounds like the poor guy has been through a lot! It is so kind of you to be giving him a good life now.:bluhug:
It was such crazy happenstance that he wound up with me. A friend of a friend of a friend's cousin's friend or something saw him on Kijiji, and along down the grapevine word got to me. My friends are enablers. :D

He's such a sweet guy. He'll fit right in!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It was such crazy happenstance that he wound up with me. A friend of a friend of a friend's cousin's friend or something saw him on Kijiji, and along down the grapevine word got to me. My friends are enablers. :D

He's such a sweet guy. He'll fit right in!
Do you have "sucker" tattooed on your forehead? :lol:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
He's so beautiful!!
I completely agree :) I'm curious when you say a extremely old, how is that for a b&w tegu?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Wow, he is stunningly gorgeous! Congratulations to you and Merry Christmas to Panzer.......he was just given the best Christmas present he has even been given :)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's so beautiful!!

I completely agree :) I'm curious when you say a extremely old, how is that for a b&w tegu?
Not entirely sure. The guy I got him from was his second or third home, he was already an adult when he got him, and he's had him for a long while now.

Our guesstimate is around 15 years. Tegus can live to 20, but Panzer's seen some hard times so it's incredible he's even alive. He's a soldier! A tank!

That's why I named him Panzer. :xflove:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Panzer's former owner seemed to love him, so I don't know whether I removed him from a disastrous situation like Taco; however, his missing tail tip is probably from a bad shed due to dry conditions, and based on the state of his skin (and the fact that I was told he's "always shedding"), I think he had a more arid enclosure than necessary. A tegu of his species thrives in 60-80% humidity, and you always want to up those levels during a shed. If nothing else, he's going to get a lot of good soaks, a humid environment, and hopefully an end to his skin problems.

I was also told that Panzer didn't go to the vet for his tumour, either at that home or his previous one, and that he was initially rehomed due to concerns about high vet bills regarding potential cancer. The mass has gone down over the years, and Panzer can move his leg more easily than he could before, but I do want to take him in to the vet as soon as possible to give him a thorough check-up. He's gonna get the whoooole works. He may not enjoy his Christmas present of blood tests, gram stains and x-rays, but I'll be sure to give him lots of apples after. :D

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
20181224_005047.jpg

I showed Panzer to his new digs a couple times, but he was very keen to explore the house. I kept an eye on him while I worked on my sister's Christmas present, then saw him wedged between a slat of wood and a bag of presents. I thought he was stuck and went to rescue him, but he had decided it was nap time, squashed his head in, and conked out. :rolleyes:

Guess that's enough exploring for one day! :p

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Oh you are living the good life now Panzer.