• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures There's a crocodile in my bathtub!!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's gorgeous! And a lot bigger than I thought! Question: how do you keep the birds safe from the reptiles? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a large percentage of Salmonella on reptilian skin (mainly snakes)? I'd love to have a bearded dragon or a chameleon someday, but this always concerns me because I'd hate to spread anything through contact.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's gorgeous! And a lot bigger than I thought! Question: how do you keep the birds safe from the reptiles? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a large percentage of Salmonella on reptilian skin (mainly snakes)? I'd love to have a bearded dragon or a chameleon someday, but this always concerns me because I'd hate to spread anything through contact.
You're absolutely right about salmonella; I have to be meticulously careful about not spreading it. I religiously clean my hands and arms so much that I should buy stock in soap and hand sanitizer. :D

All my herps are housed in the living room, and I take care to ensure that surfaces are clean and sanitary, since the fids and other pets do visit that room.

My lizards and python are handled and let out to roam regularly, which means I'm cleaning pretty much constantly. When Panzer was climbing on my sofa (and me) last night, I had blankets spread over the entire surface so he didn't make contact with the cushions, then when he went back to his terrarium, I put all the blankets in the wash on the sterilise cycle, changed my clothes, then sprayed the sofa with F10 and wiped down the floor before hopping in the shower. It's the same routine every time a herp comes out to play.

Overkill? Maybe. But having 13 pets makes you kinda nuts anyway. :wacky:

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're absolutely right about salmonella; I have to be meticulously careful about not spreading it. I religiously clean my hands and arms so much that I should buy stock in soap and hand sanitizer. :D

All my herps are housed in the living room, and I take care to ensure that surfaces are clean and sanitary, since the fids and other pets do visit that room.

My lizards and python are handled and let out to roam regularly, which means I'm cleaning pretty much constantly. When Panzer was climbing on my sofa (and me) last night, I had blankets spread over the entire surface so he didn't make contact with the cushions, then when he went back to his terrarium, I put all the blankets in the wash on the sterilise cycle, changed my clothes, then sprayed the sofa with F10 and wiped down the floor before hopping in the shower. It's the same routine every time a herp comes out to play.

Overkill? Maybe. But having 13 pets makes you kinda nuts anyway. :wacky:
Nothing wrong with a little overkill. I've just always wondered how birds and reptiles coexisted, but now that I know they do, in fact, carry salmonella, it may not be possible for me to adopt one someday because of my crappy immune system. No worries, I can still admire them from afar :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Careful @hrafn, I hear too much housework can turn your hair blue. ;)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
At the moment he's in a 7 foot long wooden terrarium I originally built for someone else, but in the spring I'm going to make him a new and bigger one, since it's not very wide and he can't really utilise vertical space by climbing, being blind. I also want to have his new one better waterproofed, since he requires much higher levels of gradient humidity than the Savannah monitor who was originally going to live in it.

Outside of his tank, he has a massive humid hide (tupperware storage bin with a fogger, lol) and a basking lamp in my living room for when he's exploring. He's already spoiled. :D
Oh that's neat! I like the humid hide, lol. I do a similar thing for my pacman frog, he's got one of those plastic hamster houses filled with moss (which he refuses to leave, lol).

He's so cute. He certainly deserves all the spoiling he gets!! :)

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I use F10 too and go a bit crazy haha. Pretty much everything within 7ft of where I’m cleaning tends to get sprayed me included. I’ve had birds and reptiles in the same room for 16 yrs now with no issues. Reptile people tend to be crazy sanitizers and quite a few actually use disposable gloves between species when cleaning too. I know a few breeders with both reptiles and birds without issues.

There’s also more than a few keepers with compromised immune systems and they could help you set up procedures to follow if you really wanted one.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing wrong with a little overkill. I've just always wondered how birds and reptiles coexisted, but now that I know they do, in fact, carry salmonella, it may not be possible for me to adopt one someday because of my crappy immune system. No worries, I can still admire them from afar :)
If it helps, I have an immunodeficiency disease and I've never caught salmonella, despite having reptiles for well over a decade. You probably wouldn't even need to be as excessive as me to stay safe! :p

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
If it helps, I have an immunodeficiency disease and I've never caught salmonella, despite having reptiles for well over a decade. You probably wouldn't even need to be as excessive as me to stay safe! :p
Yeah I think people are more likely to get it from their food than reptiles honestly.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! I'll mention it to my doctor during my next appointment. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's a nice P&W Tegu you have there. :cool7:

I love his fat cheeks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lucky boy he is to have found you! I am so glad he is getting what he needs.