• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet female Goffin needs a new, loving home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will only reply to this beacuse to keep her should be your own choice, I will only explain this. :)

I don't want that for either of them; to be attached or feel they are in a position that they need to attack. :sad11:
Now you are thinking and feeling like a human, but remember that they are birds.
I'm sure of that neither of them are damaged or feeling bad for that, if so my birds would be devastated both consider how many and how often they fight. As long as noone of them harassing the other one this is a natural way for them to act.
I get a warning and a chance to back off, but she jumps on Luv Bug without warning, Luv Bug doesn't get that chance. :shakehead:
Are you sure of that? I believe that Love Bug do gets warnings but don't understand them.
Correct me, but Love Bug has always been alone before? If so I think that it's her that needs to learn another birds body language. And if so perhaps you will see that Puffin isn't a mean bird at all she is only trying to communicate with Love Bug with less success.

Whatever you decide I respect that, but if you planning of keeping her we are a lot of people here that can help and guide you.[/QUOTE]

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh! I can't believe I missed this thread!

What an awful and stressful situation for you to be in. I wish I had advice to offer but I don't have any toos or fighting problems. :sad11:

I hope that you're able to somehow keep Puffin. And that, if you absolutely can't, she finds an amazing new home, hopefully with someone on AA. I'd offer my home, but I think it's cursed.

You're in my heart and in my thoughts! :sadhug2:

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry! This sucks! But I say dont give up! There must be a way! The way I see it is even if Puffin is nice with but for 5 minutes doesnt mean that she will continue to be that way. I'd suggest to perhaps keep them separate until Puffin feels more comfy in the household. As Puffin is still fairly new. What others have said is show that YOUR boss. God forbid puffin attacks or even WALKS aggressively to bug snap to action and get in the middle and stop it.

Ginormous hugs sent your way!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok, I have much littler birds, but I have to keep my two separate. I have worked out schedule. Sweet Pea gets out first, I have to watch Bebe very carefully the whole time. He is snagger if she is on his cage at all. He will lunge and grab her toes. Yup we have had boo-boos, bleeding ouchies. She out for a couple of hours, and mama is hovering like eagle, just in case. After she goes to bed about 5:30pm. (She is in eggie mode)
He gets out for couple of hours. He doesn't like being held, and mostly hangs out on his cage. He is in bed by 8:30pm
I'm sorry that you are going thru this, hopefully you can find solution soon.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wednesday night when I got home from work, Hubby said Puffin had chased Luv Bug around the room. Luv Bug was on Puffin's night cage behind hubby's chair (we wheel her night cage into the living room as sort of a playstand during the day) and Puffin was on their day cage to hubby's left. Puffin flew to the night cage & Luv Bug hopped down to hubby's chair then climbed down to one armrest, across to the other and over to the sofa with Puffin following her. Luv Bug jumped to the headrest of the sofa, ran along the back then flew to hubby who raised his hand into the air with her on it. Puffin flapped up to the back of the sofa then over to hubby's chest and just sat there looking at him. :confused: Not sure what started it because Bug wasn't on or close to hubby.

Then Thursday night I saw Puffin looking like she was about to jump from the night cage onto Luv Bug who was sitting on hubby's shoulder. I urgently told him to look out, that Puffin was about to go for Bug. He looked around then looked at me like he couldn't figure out why I was so frantic. I thought he must not have heard me so I told him again that Puffin had looked like she was about to jump on Luv Bug and he said, "This? This is normal," and that he wasn't worried about them as long as they're aware of it, just the surprise attacks. I said it looked like it was going to be a surprise attack and he said, "no, Luv Bug knew she was there." :blink: I miss so much when I'm not home.

So lately things have felt back to normal but I've been reluctant to update here because when I ask hubby if that means we've changed our minds about needing to rehome her he says, "I don't know." The way things are going now are fine; not ideal of course, but completely livable. But it's like we're waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm hoping the girls' fight has helped us be more aware and more watchful so we can avoid anymore of them. For now at least I don't feel the urgency from him that I felt when it happened a week ago so hopefully that means we can work it out.

Thank you guys for your support on this. I'm sorry to have been that person who posted something like this so hastily, but last week was so scary. And thank you all for your posts. Reading them together has helped us see different perspectives we missed in the chaos.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Karen, it's takes time to arrange flock dynamics. Half of it you and your husband will learn and half of it they will learn.

I have 7 parrots out at a time at work and 5 out at a time at home. They will find and respect their pecking order. Try to hang in there.... Just when you think you can't handle it anymore, they change the game.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
z5c0dc0b1b7599.gif
im so sorry...
I really would love to take Puffin...
Too bad i live in oregon...
i would be incredibly honored to take care of and love and nurture puffin but im unable to because i live to far away...
hope you find someone...
unless there is like a shipping option (which i doubt).
Just know that z5c0dc17519391.gif

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you guys for your support on this. I'm sorry to have been that person who posted something like this so hastily, but last week was so scary.
Don't be sorry! It is also very important to discuss this kind of things, because other will see the problem in a different way because of distance.
At the moment I'm just happy that you not are giving up on her. ♥
And remember that it's you that set up the rules, not them! :)

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Maybe Just Put Them In Different Cages In Different And Reintroduce Them To Each Other Slowly...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'm sorry you're going through this but this is very cockatoo type behavior. Honeymoon is over and it's time for her to resettle down. With time, they may become friends. Birds act out when in New homes. They're trying to make a claim to territory and people. They WANT what the other birds have (and what people have) and it's in their blood to fight for what they want. Sometimes it can take a while for them to realize they will have what they need and want and that they aren't going well. Jealousy is a trait based on stress and insecurity. Once the stress of a new home and the insecurity of feeling they have less goes away - they calm down.

It also sounds like this happens when you two let your guards down and down supervise them (walking into another room to spend 1-on-1 with another bird, prepare bird food, etc.

When it comes to bird on bird aggression, either cage them both When you leave the room (even for a moment) or take one or both with you. I tend to take one or both with me. And I always keep seperate unless I am directly right there with them.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
You have gotten some good ideas and help from others. I also don’t have much to add, but I hope everything continues to go okay and nothing more serious happens. Big hugs! :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are getting better. It would be nice if all birds could just get along. LOL. Even with my little fosters, the parrotlet wants to friends with the canary-winged. The canary-winged does NOT want his space invaded. So even with 2 littles, I have to be vigilant with them out together. I know it's not the same as one bird going after the other but it would be nice if they could be friends. I hope things continue to improve. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Things have been going really well since their fight. The girls are even mirroring each other again and able to be somewhat near one another again (with close supervision) without issue. I think the whole thing has made us more careful and watchful of the girls and hopefully we can close this thread now, hopefully for good.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Things have been going really well since their fight. The girls are even mirroring each other again and able to be somewhat near one another again (with close supervision) without issue. I think the whole thing has made us more careful and watchful of the girls and hopefully we can close this thread now, hopefully for good.
:swoon:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Prayers, fingers crossed, light candles, and keep hoping your girls learn to live with each other. This is just a thought - knowing how very close supervision can take its toll - maybe take one with you when leaving their room and always alternate turns ? - may not be possible, I really hope it works out for all of you. They both sound like sweethearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.