• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet female Goffin needs a new, loving home

Status
Not open for further replies.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How do I do this? :sad11: I just got a text from hubby that Puffin attacked Luv Bug and wouldn't let go. He said if he hadn't been right there she would have caused serious damage and he wants Puffin gone ASAP. I know he's very upset right now, but I also know he is serious since Luv Bug is his heart bird and he has said before that Puffin would have to be rehomed if she ever hurt Bug. We understood it could take months for Puffin to settle in and we were content to have the two of them living separately for the rest of their lives, but lately Puffin has gone from merely chasing Luv Bug away when she gets too close to actively pursuing her. She has grabbed Bug's feathers twice but we chalked it up to the two of them getting used to one another. This was his last straw. If we don't rehome her, I know that she will not be allowed out of her cage and that is not fair to her. :( None of this is.

I don't believe Puffin is an aggressive bird so much as she is afraid of other birds getting too close, perhaps from being housed with a moluccan that plucked her and was rough with her. Luv Bug is curious and always steps closer and that is when Puffin lunges. It's possible that Puffin may be more at ease as an only bird or housed away from other birds, but she definitely wants to be part of her human flock.

I don't want to rehome her; I still feel like things can get better. They are okay with each other most of the time, as long as they don't get too close and even mirror each other. But it's not up to only me and I would not forgive myself if I convinced hubby to let her stay and we're not in arm's reach next time and Luv Bug gets hurt or worse. I feel absolutely numb right now except for the tears. This is not fair to Puffin and I have failed her. I'm sorry that she will have to be separated from another family. She is a good girl.

=================================

Sweet DNA tested female goffin cockatoo 4-5 years old in need of a patient and loving home. She will need a cage as she has learned to open the one we had for her and her new cage is a divider cage that we use for Luv Bug, too. She loves to dance and give kisses and has learned to shred toys and chip thin pine. Thank you for that @Peachfaced. She loved all of your toys. :sad2: Dallas, TX area.

I'll post pictures later. I can't do this right now. :crycry:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very very sorry. :( Is there any way they can be kept in separate rooms although that probably isn't good for anyone either? Could you alternate when they come out or will Puffin run over to Bug's cage? I have to alternate birds coming out because some of them just don't play well together.
It sounds as if she is protecting herself in a way. She came from a place where she was bugged by a Moluccan and so now she just doesn't want another bird to bug her. She is taking the initiative by going after Luv Bug.
I wish there was some way you could resolve this.
I truly hope you find her a wonderful new home.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It sounds as if she is protecting herself in a way. She came from a place where she was bugged by a Moluccan and so now she just doesn't want another bird to bug her. She is taking the initiative by going after Luv Bug.
That is exactly what she's doing and why. The only time she would be allowed out is any time I'm home before hubby gets home after work or if hubby leaves for work before I do. Other than that Luv Bug will be out with him. And both of them require human attention. Quarantine was unbearable unless one of us sat in the other room with Puffin. If we keep them separate, hubby and I will be in separate rooms, too. :shrug:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have to keep Lucy from being able to get too close to Sergei and Newt. She is aggressive even to me. She's been rehomed so many times because of this...8 homes in 11 years! So I don't blame her for not trusting easily.

It's so hard making decisions when your heart is involved. But we can only do our best! My heart breaks for you. Blessings to all.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The only way I can see to keep Puffin in the same room with us but keep her from getting to Luv Bug would be to cordon off areas for her around their day cage and her night cage with sheer curtains so she could still see us, but that would also prevent her from coming to us. (Luv Bug isn't around their cage unless she is in her half with the door closed. As soon as her door is opened she is on one of us.) Puffin is starting to come to us more and more for scritches and to sit quietly. I don't want to keep her away. :(

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Oh my gosh, Karen. So many big hugs!!! :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: My heart broke when I saw this post. :sad11:

You have done a wonderful job taking care of Puffin, but unfortunately, sometimes it just doesn’t work out. Aghhh, I wish there was something else to be done. :( I know you’ll do your very best to find her the most wonderful home. :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is exactly what she's doing and why. The only time she would be allowed out is any time I'm home before hubby gets home after work or if hubby leaves for work before I do. Other than that Luv Bug will be out with him. And both of them require human attention. Quarantine was unbearable unless one of us sat in the other room with Puffin. If we keep them separate, hubby and I will be in separate rooms, too. :shrug:
Maybe after hubby calms down a bit he will change his mind and you can figure something out so both of them will be safe and still have out time and human time. Keno, my Goffin's is aggressive towards other birds except Casey. I don't let her play with Cody, the BE2, but she never really seemed interested in Cody any way. The only thing Keno and Cody do together is scream.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I'm so sorry. I hope you find a great home for her. I might not have any other pets at the moment but I'm still moving over the rehoming of Connor and Rox, and I'm not sure my parents are ready for another animal in the house yet either.

I so badly wish I were in the place to, she sounds like a great bird and I have a grandmother in Texas with some bird experience (Tiels, both long gone) who could hold onto her until we could make the trip.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh dear. I hate this for you as well as for Puffin. And I completely understand your husband wanting to protect his dear Luv Bug. I too, think that when it isn't so fresh he may reconsider and help to create a solution for her to stay. We can only expect them to be what they are... birds. My Ruby would totally kill her sister Scarlette so I sympathize and know the challenges when they are out together. Big hugs for you sweetie!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Guys, I really don't want to rehome Puffin if it can be helped so any ideas are really appreciated.

Last night, I was glad to see that Puffin was still out when I got home, but hubby said it was only because he was so mad that he was shaking, his chest hurt and he didn't trust himself to put her in her cage. :confused: Later, while Luv Bug was on me Puffin made her way to hubby's chair, climbed out onto his knee and tucked her foot up for a nap. I could see the conflict on hubby's face. He said, "she's not always like that (going after Luv Bug), sometimes she's like this," and motioned towards his knee. It made me feel better to know that he still sees the good in her and that he is at least conflicted about rehoming her, but several times last night Puffin did try to make a beeline for Bug. Then twice during the evening Luv Bug landed about a little over a foot away from Puffin and they sat there for several minutes without Bug being chased away. I don't know what to think.

This morning before I left for work, I remembered and reminded hubby why we decided to get another cockatoo in the first place. It was because of how bored Luv Bug is when we're both at work. That hasn't been an issue the past few weeks but once hubby finds another job that will be a problem again. We wanted the girls to at least have each other's ambient companionship because we thought it would be beneficial to each of them to have someone like them around. But is their tension doing more harm than good? :o: If Puffin would be happier and less stressed in another home it would be wrong to keep her and try to force her to get used to us. On the other hand, if she is getting used to us and will eventually be happy here, it would be wrong to rehome her. I am so confused right now.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could it be hormones? Elvis has been a bit full of himself lately. Nipped my shoulder and bit the fiancé's ear (so much blood....). I was going back and forth between the fosters being in the house and hormones. I now think it's hormones. I know it's tough not to have birds out together. I'm going through that now with the fosters. I think Elvis would like to play with the fosters actually, but the size difference is so great. So, I take the fosters out for awhile. Put them back. And then get Elvis out. Maybe you have to do that with your two? They could still have cages beside each other and be company when you're not home but maybe they just alternate being out?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand your feelings. I have not had conflicts between any of my birds, but a similar thing happened when I had bunnies. Thumper came first and was our heart bunny. We wondered if she would like a friend and we bought Bebe. Things went well for a few months until Thumper had surgery. (My $9.99 bunny that cost us thousands...) When Thumper returned from the vet, she was recuperating for a time. Bebe took this opportunity to become the boss. After Thumper recovered completely Bebe continued to be very aggressive. My family was so upset! We all loved Thumper so much and we couldn't have another bunny, meant to be a friend, torment her. We were heartbroken and found Bebe a new home as the only bunny.

But with that said, you may find that you can work through this. I can tell that you hope so.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's always the problem with bringing in a new bird is the very possibility of separate out times. Could be fear. jealousy. hormones...may get better...may not. Safety is important though & a high consideration. If it really can't be worked out & it impacts the birds quality of life than it might be better that one finds a new home where they can be an only bird. Toos are smart. Puffin may really like your hubby & don;t think they can't see his affections for the other & consider it a threat.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could it be hormones? Elvis has been a bit full of himself lately. Nipped my shoulder and bit the fiancé's ear (so much blood....). I was going back and forth between the fosters being in the house and hormones. I now think it's hormones. I know it's tough not to have birds out together. So, I take the fosters out for awhile. Put them back. And then get Elvis out. Maybe you have to do that with your two? They could still have cages beside each other and be company when you're not home but maybe they just alternate being out?
I'm not sure whether it could be hormones or not as we haven't had her long enough to know how she normally is. I will pose it to hubby so we can both be mindful of that possibility. I admittedly assumed it was just a need for personal space after her last home. We will definitely try to figure that out. We wouldn't feel as bad restricting her out of cage time if it's only while hormones hit and they're able to be out together the rest of the time. :angel1: Please let that be it. I hate that Puffin will be caged while she can see Luv Bug flying around free; it feels cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.