• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Really think that Hercules might be female though...
You do? I asked the breeder if she knew what his parents were & she said she didn't know, I read post that said if the parents are certain mutations. So I don't know. I was hoping for a male because the egg binding business freaks me out & the breeder said today she was almost certain a male, but who knows. Either way I will love him/her to death. But the egg binding scares me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad the car ride went well!:dance4: I probably would slowly cover three sides of the cage and let him stay on the bottom. He will move around once he gets more comfortable. Are the food and water bowls down low too? (Sorry if you already mentioned that). One of my tiels always shakes her head when I talk to her. I have read that it might be attentiveness, but I’ve also read that it could be either that they really like what they are hearing or dislike what they are hearing. I guess nobody knows for sure!:wacky: I would keep the window coverings closed for now. It might take him a long time to move from that spot.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Definitely cover at least half the cage and put food and water down at the bottom for Hercules. You can sit near him/her (not right next to him) and talk softly or sing to him. But don't look directly at him that will make him nervous or scared. What I did with my tiels was sit 3 or 4 ft away, turned sideways to the cage so I could see them out of the corner of my eye, not really looking at them. Then I would read a book or magazine out loud.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
You've already got some replies to your question, but I just thought that I'd add that he should be seen by an avian vet, if he hasn't already. I'm not saying he's sick or anything, but we always recommend that you take new birds to the vet to make sure they're healthy. I would maybe give him some time to calm down and relax, however. I'm sure the last few days have been very stressful for him. But it's best to make sure that you have a happy and healthy bird. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Hercules is lucky to have you. You've prepared a lot for his/her arrival. He/she is very cute. It's great that he has moved up from the bottom of the cage and is eating millet. Don't force him to do anything and just let him lead the way.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You've received some good replies already. Great that Hercules is settling in!

I'm kind of concerned about the breeder though... I mean, if she bred him, how would she not know what color his parents are? Would it be possible to ask for pictures?

At minimum, I can tell you for a fact that Hercule's father is carrying the cinnamon, pearl and pied genes. I don't know if visual or split, but carrying them none-the-less. Likewise, the mother is also carrying the pied gene - again, don't know if split or visual. Everything else is really guesswork.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
You've already got some replies to your question, but I just thought that I'd add that he should be seen by an avian vet, if he hasn't already. I'm not saying he's sick or anything, but we always recommend that you take new birds to the vet to make sure they're healthy. I would maybe give him some time to calm down and relax, however. I'm sure the last few days have been very stressful for him. But it's best to make sure that you have a happy and healthy bird. :)

I completely agree. Already had app setup before I brought him home. His app is a week from today. Thought I'd give him a week to settle in before I bring him in the scary car again lol. Thank you for replying!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Already had app setup before I brought him home. His app is a week from today
That's great! :)

And good call on giving him a little bit. It definitely is stressful and scary for birdies. But I'm sure that once he's checked out and settled in, you will have one happy bird that I'm sure will soon become your friend.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
You've received some good replies already. Great that Hercules is settling in!

I'm kind of concerned about the breeder though... I mean, if she bred him, how would she not know what color his parents are? Would it be possible to ask for pictures?

At minimum, I can tell you for a fact that Hercule's father is carrying the cinnamon, pearl and pied genes. I don't know if visual or split, but carrying them none-the-less. Likewise, the mother is also carrying the pied gene - again, don't know if split or visual. Everything else is really guesswork.
The breeder is a really nice older lady. I asked her if she knew what his parents were & she said she didn't know because she just goes & grabs the babies. She said sometimes it's a few babies at once or one a day. She has a large free flight room that has all the adults in it & breeder boxes. So maybe that's why? I'm not really sure. She only breeds them a few months out of the year then she said they all take a break. I really wish I knew if it was a boy or girl, but I guess it doesn't really matter now because I AM IN LOVE! ❤ I can't wait to start seeing his personality come out & to see him play on his stand I worked so hard on for him. Will Def keep all you guys posted woth pics! I tried uploading a video, but it wouldn't work. Can you not upload videos? I've seen a couple on this site. Would love for you guys to see actual videos of him!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
The breeder is a really nice older lady. I asked her if she knew what his parents were & she said she didn't know because she just goes & grabs the babies. She said sometimes it's a few babies at once or one a day. She has a large free flight room that has all the adults in it & breeder boxes. So maybe that's why? I'm not really sure. She only breeds them a few months out of the year then she said they all take a break. I really wish I knew if it was a boy or girl, but I guess it doesn't really matter now because I AM IN LOVE! ❤ I can't wait to start seeing his personality come out & to see him play on his stand I worked so hard on for him. Will Def keep all you guys posted woth pics! I tried uploading a video, but it wouldn't work. Can you not upload videos? I've seen a couple on this site. Would love for you guys to see actual videos of him!
I've never uploaded a video here so I can't help you there. Sorry.

But perhaps you could get a DNA test done? It is not necessary, but if you have the money for it and are really curious it is an option. However, I'm glad you've already fallen in love with him/her. Such a beautiful little bird, he/she is! :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Videos can be uploaded to Youtube, Facebook, or any other video hosting website. Just make sure the video is public!

And everything so far is pointing to female - unless Hercules starts becoming *very* vocal in a few weeks time! ;)

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I will ask my vet if she can do a DNA test when he goes in. Might as well, be nice to know in advance what I'm in for.

Hercules is still on the same perch. Right trough the center of the cage. He was eating millet & the millet is right next to his water dish, but I haven't seen him take a drink or if he knows for sure it's right there. Do they go alomg time without water when they are stressed?
It makes me sad that all birds have to go through so much stress to adjust. Poor things. They all have to go through a lot. Such innocent loves. Hope he drinks some water soon. I'm about to tuck him in for the night. Ducks & geese first.. then Hercules. Just heard an great horned owl outside. Time for the waterfowl to get locked up for the night!

Here's a pic of our flock in the spring sun bathing.

The inside of what we call the duckies greenhouse. They have cozy coop heaters to snuggle up against & windows on the side to sun bath. The roof is also clear so the sun comes in, thier *doggie door* goes out into a fenced yard with another small shleter. They ate pretty spoiled.

A pic of Lilly hanging out on my shoulder. Had to make her a diaper out of a sock because she liked to snuggled &sleep in my hair & give big stinky love bombs. She was 2 weeks in the photo and is now 45lbs÷

One more pic of our flock as babies. They were delivered to us at just 2 days old. How fast they grow! We had a kiddie pool brooder right in the middle of our house. It was wonderful. I loved the entire experience.

If anyone has any duck or geese questions I could help ;)

Enjoy the pics & hope Hercules drinks water soon! I'll count his droppings right now, before I tuck him in & hopefully they'll be more by morning.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Most new birds never seem to drink. He might take a quick sip or two while you aren’t looking, but he might not drink until tomorrow. Don’t worry, he will drink when he needs to. Cute pictures!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You do? I asked the breeder if she knew what his parents were & she said she didn't know, I read post that said if the parents are certain mutations. So I don't know. I was hoping for a male because the egg binding business freaks me out & the breeder said today she was almost certain a male, but who knows. Either way I will love him/her to death. But the egg binding scares me.
Hey, I have 2 females and we have never had eggies at all. I gave them away and the guy gave them a nest box and says they laid/sat on eggs - but they have been back a long time, and no eggs.

<<duck and geese questions>> That’s great that you can answer questions! @TikiMyn had some recently. I’m sure there are others here. Yours are cute! And your baby tiel is adorable.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I will ask my vet if she can do a DNA test when he goes in. Might as well, be nice to know in advance what I'm in for.

Hercules is still on the same perch. Right trough the center of the cage. He was eating millet & the millet is right next to his water dish, but I haven't seen him take a drink or if he knows for sure it's right there. Do they go alomg time without water when they are stressed?
It makes me sad that all birds have to go through so much stress to adjust. Poor things. They all have to go through a lot. Such innocent loves. Hope he drinks some water soon. I'm about to tuck him in for the night. Ducks & geese first.. then Hercules. Just heard an great horned owl outside. Time for the waterfowl to get locked up for the night!

Here's a pic of our flock in the spring sun bathing.

The inside of what we call the duckies greenhouse. They have cozy coop heaters to snuggle up against & windows on the side to sun bath. The roof is also clear so the sun comes in, thier *doggie door* goes out into a fenced yard with another small shleter. They ate pretty spoiled.

A pic of Lilly hanging out on my shoulder. Had to make her a diaper out of a sock because she liked to snuggled &sleep in my hair & give big stinky love bombs. She was 2 weeks in the photo and is now 45lbs÷

One more pic of our flock as babies. They were delivered to us at just 2 days old. How fast they grow! We had a kiddie pool brooder right in the middle of our house. It was wonderful. I loved the entire experience.

If anyone has any duck or geese questions I could help ;)

Enjoy the pics & hope Hercules drinks water soon! I'll count his droppings right now, before I tuck him in & hopefully they'll be more by morning.
OMG! Those geese in the second picture are so beautiful! You have such a beautiful flock! I have two Indian runners, one of them, Myn, loves to sit on my shoulder too.

Congratulations on bringing Hercules home!(I probably Said it before, but just to be sure, I love his name!) How is he doing today?