• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Timneh African Grey. Sorry i should have written out. Birds have many abbreviations, especially cockatoos.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I had a TAG and she was great with my budgies. No experience with cockatiels, unfortunately.
So your grey was good with your budgies??
Can you specify, were they close to eachother at times?
Can you define "great with budgies"
Thank you for replying!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They were together in one room in separate cages. Rosie, the grey was not jealous or aggressive twards them ever. It was peaceful.

I was asked to foster a green cheek conure for a month. Conures have a strong need to be boss so i should have declined. Conure was very jealous of Rosie so they were never out of cage at same time. However the conure got on top of Rosies cage and the beaking began. Conure had a puncture wound on tell of head that went into sinuses. Vet healed conure and this bird went back to rescue. Rosie was fine. The conure attacked her while she was inside the cage.

Cockatiels are not aggressive birdsbirds, but stay away form conures.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Wow great to know!
My tiels are very laid back & chill.
They do love ro be on me or whoever is in the house. Pepper has helped Hercules come out of his shell when visitors come over. Before Pepper, if we had as visitor, Hercules would fly high on his perch, sit quietly & just observe.
Not Pepper, he will fly to just about anyone
(If I'm not in the room or he can't land on me)
Now Hercules is more willing to come say hello to visitors, but only if Pepper makes sure they are safe first. Haha

I'm doing a ton of research & so far, so good. Seems like greys can live peacefully with smaller birds, but all depends on the grey too. We all know rhey all have their own unique personality & preference.
Thank you for replying.
Anyone else have some advice or experience?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't have and experience at all but I don't think that will be a problem more then the grey will probably sounds like a tiel after some weeks. :D
Go visit the grey and see if you click or not first.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My first conure and first cockatiel got along great after the conure accepted the cockatiel as a friend. None of my conures after that have gotten along with my tiels, nor have I attempted to get them to get along.

I haven't had an african grey but can only say to be cautious since a grey can cause a lot of damage to a much smaller bird.

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I have been loving this thread! Reading about your journey with your birds has been such a lovely experience and had been incredibly insightful! Please, please, please keep this up forever ! :laughing2:

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I don't have and experience at all but I don't think that will be a problem more then the grey will probably sounds like a tiel after some weeks. :D
Go visit the grey and see if you click or not first.
Haha I know & I've thought of that, but honestly I love their little screeches. It doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes Hercules will land on his new hanging hideout & scream & holler, make sure the entire house knows~
THIS IS MINE!!!!
It is sooo adorable!

My first conure and first cockatiel got along great after the conure accepted the cockatiel as a friend. None of my conures after that have gotten along with my tiels, nor have I attempted to get them to get along.

I haven't had an african grey but can only say to be cautious since a grey can cause a lot of damage to a much smaller bird.
I completely agree. My tiels are my little feather babies & I will be very cautious & careful & never leave them unattended. I am still doing research to understand greys more and their most common interactions with smaller birds. I read Indian Ringnecks will kill a small bird if given the chance.

I have been loving this thread! Reading about your journey with your birds has been such a lovely experience and had been incredibly insightful! Please, please, please keep this up forever ! :laughing2:
Thank you sooo much! That makes me soo happy to hear that. If it is only one person that had the chance to learn anything from this amazing journey, it is all worth it to me! I love this thread too, a couple weeks ago I went thru the entire thing from page 1.
It made me really emotional to see how far my bond with Hercules&Pepper has grown & all the small accomplishments we have made through out the way, that are just common nature to us now; flying to me, coming when called, begging for head scritches, calling for me when I'm out of sight, wanting to be on me all day, having to play & see whatever it is i am touching & be involved in everything I do.
It is just so amazingly beautiful how far we have come & how close our bond is.
I will continue to post as long as it allows me too!

If/when I adopt a grey, I will bring you guys on the journey with me. I hope to start a youtube channel within the next few months. Would you guys watch??

I am holding off on the grey as of right now. The owners have another family that is very interested in him, that already own 3 greys & have had them all their lives.
They have him for the week to see how it goes. I know that he will be cared for by experienced owners, so I hope it works out for them & the grey.

I would like to go volunteer at an avian rescue & go interact with all the birds & just see if one chooses me & feel it out from there. If something is meant to be.. it will be. Just like my Hercules &Pepper! I will keep you guys posted! Thanks again for all the replies! This forum really helped me soooo much thru our journey!
God Bless! ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I completely agree. My tiels are my little feather babies & I will be very cautious & careful & never leave them unattended. I am still doing research to understand greys more and their most common interactions with smaller birds. I read Indian Ringnecks will kill a small bird if given the chance.
I have an african ringneck, same species as indian ringneck but different subspecies. She's wild caught as well. I've housed her with my cockatiels before without issues and in fact, could have used the tiels to gain her trust. She was kept near the tiels for several months though before they were housed together. I certainly wouldn't recommend other people doing the same. I had them in a split double flight cage, sold the cage and had moved them into my 5x5x6 walk in aviary. I wouldn't have done it in a smaller cage which is what most people generally have.

All birds will be individuals though. :)

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I have an african ringneck, same species as indian ringneck but different subspecies. She's wild caught as well. I've housed her with my cockatiels before without issues and in fact, could have used the tiels to gain her trust. She was kept near the tiels for several months though before they were housed together. I certainly wouldn't recommend other people doing the same. I had them in a split double flight cage, sold the cage and had moved them into my 5x5x6 walk in aviary. I wouldn't have done it in a smaller cage which is what most people generally have.

I second this! I have an IRN as well, who is a wild caught bird and we have no problems. My IRN will sometimes chase my ‘tiel if he tries to get too close but he has never bit / hurt my ‘tiel in any way.

If anything, my IRN copies my ‘tiel in most things he does!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway

I second this! I have an IRN as well, who is a wild caught bird and we have no problems. My IRN will sometimes chase my ‘tiel if he tries to get too close but he has never bit / hurt my ‘tiel in any way.

If anything, my IRN copies my ‘tiel in most things he does!
Wow! Both amazing comments! Goes to show, hands on is the best education.
Thank you guys!

PS- I just started a youtube channel & you can finally see some actually video of the birds & lots more videos to come!
If your interested, like & subscribe!

The BigSky Family Vlogs
WELCOME TO OUR CHANNEL!

I hope you enjoy & if you subscribe you can see my birds on a weekly bases!

Thanks again everyone, you guys are absolutely AMAZING!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
So, the grey found a great home with experienced grey keepers. Very happy for him & a little bummed out too, but everything happens for a reason & he will have a great forever home.

We are going to wait & see what happens. It might take a few months or a few years, but one day I would love to adopt an adult grey that us in need of a home. Until then, Hercules & Pepper are all I need ❤❤

They enjoy eachother company, but are yet to preen eachother. Do you guys think they ever will? They scream for eachother if one flies in the other room or they can't see eachother & sometimes when I wake them up in the morning & take their cover off, Pepper will be on Hercules side of the cage sharing his perch about 3 inches from eachother. I hope one day they preen & cuddle with eachother, for now I am very thankful they can share a cage for sleeping & they share their big bird gym.

Hope all is well with you guys & your wonderful feathered babies!

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING! !

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They enjoy eachother company, but are yet to preen eachother. Do you guys think they ever will? They scream for eachother if one flies in the other room or they can't see eachother & sometimes when I wake them up in the morning & take their cover off, Pepper will be on Hercules side of the cage sharing his perch about 3 inches from eachother. I hope one day they preen & cuddle with eachother, for now I am very thankful they can share a cage for sleeping & they share their big bird gym.
Hey, you never know! They seem very comfortable around each other, so my guess that eventually they might find that preening each other is mutually advantageous...;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Somebody is happy with their bath.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The paint pan is SUCH a cool idea! Thanks for sharing this. I actually think I have a mini paint pan somewhere that I might have to look up and see if this works this summer! :D

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
The paint pan is SUCH a cool idea! Thanks for sharing this. I actually think I have a mini paint pan somewhere that I might have to look up and see if this works this summer! :D
Thanks for watching!
Be sure it's plastic & not metal
Sure you already knew that lol
You can also buy one at dollar store or walmart for $1
Many more bird videos to come! I want to help educate the bird world & help as many birds as I can. Soon will be posting about cockatiel care. Waiting for all my equipment & setup.
Thanks again for watching!
I don't even use Facebook, deleted it over 6 years ago.. who would've thought I'd start a youtube? NOT ME! It is fun tho & can help people. That's what it is all about

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks for watching!
Be sure it's plastic & not metal
Sure you already knew that lol
You can also buy one at dollar store or walmart for $1
Many more bird videos to come! I want to help educate the bird world & help as many birds as I can. Soon will be posting about cockatiel care. Waiting for all my equipment & setup.
Thanks again for watching!
I don't even use Facebook, deleted it over 6 years ago.. who would've thought I'd start a youtube? NOT ME! It is fun tho & can help people. That's what it is all about

I FOUND IT! Can't wait til the weather gets warmer and we can test it out. This little one is about 9 inches long and 4 inches wide. It will fit right into their cage. Hope they like it.

Attachments

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I hate to leaving this information when you seems to be so happy over your cheap bird bath.

But that plastic is recykled industrial plastic. Not safe for us or our birds. (That's why they are so cheap)
Only use plastic that is certified human safe for food and water.