• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you guys, I'm having second thoughts.. I'm so afraid that Hercules will bond to the nrw bird over me.. that would break my heart because he is my little bud. He is with me all day everyday (I'm a stay at home animal Momma) I am so worried that Hercules won't love me as much anymore after he bonds to a new bird. I just don't know what to do.. I'm physically suck about it.. I can't make up my mind. Please help

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Don't overthink it because you're winding yourself up. Right now you and Hercules are a flock of 2, bringing in a companion tiel will make it a flock of 3. If the tiel you were looking at is as friendly as you say and used to people he/she might bond to you and not Hercules. The old saying is "if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers".

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hercules will always love you.

If, on the off-hand that Hercules "bonds" with Pepper, then you will also have a great chance to bond with Pepper! Think of it...two little buds...each loved, each with their own little personality....what a great thing! :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hercules won't love me as much anymore after he bonds to a new bird

We like to think of the birds welfare when it comes to getting another bird. What would Hercules want and what would be best for this bird. Please think of the bird first and foremost, not yourself. Of course you have a bond with this bird but do you want to shut out a second friend for him?

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you guys. You really helped ease my mind. I really do feel this second bird deserves to be as spoiled as Hercules is. I'm just going to hope & pray he keeps his bond with me & the new bird too. I will have the first month alone with him while he is in quarantine in my bedroom. Do my best to bond with him everyday & go from there. I am now fully committed to getting pepper. Hope to God Hercules will still love me just as much. He is my baby & I would do anything for him. He deserves a bird companion & I would love to love a second bird just as much. Thank you guys soooo much. Wish me luck! Very nervous & praying for the best outcome possible. We will be 3 peas in a pod.

Don't overthink it because you're winding yourself up. Right now you and Hercules are a flock of 2, bringing in a companion tiel will make it a flock of 3. If the tiel you were looking at is as friendly as you say and used to people he/she might bond to you and not Hercules. The old saying is "if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers".

That is a great saying, going to try to remember it! Thanks again! I'll give updates of Pepper coming home!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Omg how wonderful!!! The new baby is sooo cute! Pepper Will thrive in your care! Thank you for the update:) buuut I didn’t see our Hercules?:shy: We need Some pics of him too, I do anyway:)
For what it’s worth, my lovebird boys are very bonded to Each other, but still to me too:) Henkie lived bonded to my Tiel who passed away at first, then as a single bird for 11 months and then I brought Fëanor home. Fëanor was not ‘tame’ at all but everything worked out fine and now we are three peas in a pod!:)

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
PEPPER MADE IT HOME!!

I couldn't wait to get on here & tell you guys about my day with bringing Pepper home! He is the most lovable bird! When we got the the woman's house she brought us right to him. She took him out & he instantly came to me, I was making quiet kiss noises & he walked right up to my face, she said he likes to give kisses & then he gave me a kiss & pushed his whole body into my face for a snuggle! Was the most adorable thing!! Then she showed me how he likes to be cradles in her hand on her chest & rubbed with the other hand. So ADORABLE!! He went right to my brother-in-law & climbed up on his shoulder. (My brother-in-law is special needs & we told him this is his bird) It's like Pepper knew he was special & didn't want to get off of him!! We gathered Pepper's belongings & loaded him up in the car. The woman carried him out in his cage & put him in the back seat. Said our good byes & were on our way. We stopped for a quick bite to eat & I shared some of my lunch with him thru the cage bars. He wasn't freaked out being in a vehicle at all, in fact he stayed busy the whole way home in his cage chewing on his toys! I called my husband while we were pulling in the driveway & asked him to put Hercules in his cage until we could get Pepper settled in our bedroom. I was planning on leaving Pepper alone for an hour or so to get adjusted to the new surroundings, but he was ready to come out & explore. I can't believe how much he trusts me. He flew right to my shoulder & wanted cuddles. He is so snuggly! This is the complete opposite of Hercules first day home, he was mortified & it took me weeks to get him to accept treats from my hands & over a month before he really started to trust me. For anyone who has read this entire thread of Hercules home coming, you know it was a very slow process & he took awhile to tame. So this was a very unexpected surprise when bringing Pepper home. If you were a stranger, I could tell you I've had Pepper for months & you wouldn't know the difference. He calls for me when I leave the room & is happy as can be when I'm in the room with him. It's like he doesn't know or care he is in a different home with all nrw people & surroundings. Is this normal? I was dreading seeing a depressed bird, missing his home & "family flock" but he doesn't seem to care at all. I was so worried about getting him & now I can't believe how blessed I am to have him!
Now I have few questions.. His feathers seem a bit unhealthy, his tail feathers are in rough shape, guessing from being in such a tiny cage. She said he is molting, but Hercules didn't look that rough while he was going through his first molt. Also, he's been on a all seed diet in his 5 months of life, not sure if he's had many fresh veggies ect. Besides his feathers & small cage with a bad setup (pics at the bottom) he seems to be very active, playful, clear eyes & nose & full of energy. So hopefully with a gradual change in his diet, his feathers will look healthier. I added some perches & toys & Hercules favorite straw hat to the top of his cage so he isn't constantly sitting on the small bars of his cage, poor fella. I have an amazon order coming Monday with a play gym & toys & better feed & water bowls. The ones he has now are small flimsy plastic. (I prefer stainless steel) I am really praying when the time comes, Pepper & Hercules bond so the can share Hercules large cage, if they dont, I will Def be buying Pepper a large cage like Hercules. Until then, do you think this cage will be okay? It is small, awful setup & all standard perches. Feel so bad for him, he will only be in it for night or if I need to run errands quick. Going to try to introduce pellets tomoro & a variety of fresh veggies & sprouts. We will see how it goes! Thank you guys for helping me thru this, I had so much anxiety of bringing a new bird home that was going to be sad, scared, depressed & home sick and the time it takes to tame, but he seriously doesn't even seem to notice he's in a new house with new people. I can't get over it. Why did I get so blessed to get such an amazing bird? I am still in shock! Told you guys I'd let you know how it went & well.. Here's day 1. Pepper is amazing!! After a month quarantine, I hope Hercules feels the same way!!

Here are pics of the cage he came in. Very small & the setup isn't very good.
I added toys & few rope perches & Hercules straw hat so he could give his feet a break at the top of his cage.

Pepper on my brother-in-law, he hungout on him for close to 20 minutes, content preening his feathers

Also couple pics of Hercules enjoying his breakfast this morning in his dinner tote I made him. It sure helped keep down the mess of food thrown everywhere.

Hope you enjoyed the story of Pepper homecoming & pics of the beauties!

I will keep updating as we progress!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Pepper & your BIL make for a cute photo, I believe animals know when someone is a child or is impaired.

As for how you got a bird like Pepper (and Hercules before him) it's in your attitude and love for live creatures. They feel it and know it. Congrats on your addition.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. The cage is ok for now. Just remove the dowel perches and put in some natural perches.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so happy for you. I hope all continues to go well. Now you have two birds to spoil.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yeah... you're right... the cage is terrible! But I'd say Pepper is in good hands! And even if you have trouble getting Pepper eating healthier, it's okay!!! Really! Hercules is eating well, so if one bird does, another will follow! ;)

Casey was pretty much the same 17 years ago! She was as happy as could be to go explore new places and not terribly freaked out at all! She just made herself at home! She came directly from the breeder at 5 months (last to be sold) and the only cage I had to put her in was a terrible rabbit cage... that she could stick her head through! (she was a gift from friends of the family... so unexpected surprise!) A month after getting her, my first conure came along, and against my wishes (and his, initially...), she ended up moving in with him! Social butterfly that she is!

People who meet my entire flock, Casey is always their favorite! LOL She's just a happy go lucky tiel, and a female! So she enjoys searching for places to nest or foraging!

Very sweet photos! :) And I have trust in you that you'll care for Pepper just as well as Hercules, even if Pepper's current setup isn't ideal right now!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How wonderful that Pepper is so comfortable with so many new situations and people! :dance4: Congratulations and welcome to AA Pepper!:heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Congratulations. The cage is ok for now. Just remove the dowel perches and put in some natural perches.
The cage should be okay for sleeping in and while he gets used to his new home. If you don't have the links to hang thing in Pepper's cage, you can also use zip ties

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
The cage should be okay for sleeping in and while he gets used to his new home. If you don't have the links to hang thing in Pepper's cage, you can also use zip ties
I could agree more about the zip ties, I built Hercules a large play gym using zip ties. They work wonders & I leave the ends long & just face them down so they don't poke an eye out. If you do cut off the ends, it would be a good idea to sand down where you cut, will leave a very sharp edge. They also love chewing on the ends, makes a toy out of a toy haha

Pepper is doing so amazing! Incredibly intelligent & will do just about anything for some millet. He took to the Zupreme pellets right away. I buy the budge size, they are almost the same size as seed, maybe that is why. He is in full molt right now, feathers everywhere and I don't mind. I collect them, I have a zip lock full of Hercules feathers & now I can start a collection with Pepper's. I plan to make cute crafts with them as decor to remember my birbs. My biggest challenge right now, is spending an even amount of time with each one of them. They both call when I leave the room. I have my bedroom set up as a bird Haven for Pepper. His wings were clipped when I got them, but he is able to fly a little, he just has to really work at it & can't stay mid air. I will let his wings grow so he can be fully flighted like Hercules. I can't wait to see them both flying about having fun. Can't wait to introduce them! Praying they will become best buds! They talk to eachother from separate rooms, hopefully that is a good sign! Going to bring them both to the vet together after quarantine time is up & find out Pepper's gender. Hoping they are the same sex, but it is what it is, because I love them soooo much!!

I will keep you guys updated on the progress after quarantine time is up & how they do together! THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP & ENCOURAGEMENT!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What amazing sweet pics of him and with your brother-in-law! It looks like he is surely enjoying those veggies, that's great. Bet you will be chomping at the bit to intro both of them. Great that they are flock calling - I can only imagine Herc's face when he gets a look at his new roommate! :yah: